New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish in need

Started by Jody, February 03, 2020, 08:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hi everyone,
   I wanted to share this post.
This is why it is important for groups like CARES to exist, to help sustain populations, in the hobby, of fish that are endangered in the wild.

From Jim Cummings

*** Please share this message far and wide ***
It is time to take an inventory in this group and outside of it, of one particular species, Paretroplus nourissati /lamena. Yesterday, I found out from Dr. Paul Loiselle, that this species has been 'lost' in Laif Demason's Old World Exotic fish farm in Homestead, FL. This species, one of the most sought after of all the Malagasy cichids (all endangered or critically so), is no longer secure in the Western Hemisphere. Climate change, in the form of unseasonably cold weather in southern Florida, has taken its toll. A cold snap, followed by an outbreak of ich (to which Paretroplus have no resistance) has eradicated this species from one of the continuing, most reliable sources of this fish. There are a handful of hobbyists that have been successful in breeding and distributing this fish in the US and Canada, but the commercial source in gone... hopefully to recover at some point from this loss. When I made this graphic up a few years ago, the fish was assessed as vulnerable. The most recent one in 2016 has it as endangered!! No doubt to be critically endangered if things continue to go the way they are in Madagascar.
In the meantime, I think we need to know who maintains this fish. I know  Jose Gonzalez and I do, but I know this fish has been obtained by many others within and outside the US and Canada, including Europe over the last few years. I would like for you to post if you presently have this species by indicating how many adults or grow outs you presently have, where you are located and if you have spawned them successfully (raised fry). This inventory will be very helpful to know where this species is in terms of it being secure. All I need you to do is this: PUT DOWN 3 things:
the number of adults and / or grow outs
where do you live? (city, province /state, country)
have you spawned and raised fry (yes, no)
So, for me:
              9 , Winnipeg, MB, Canada, yes
This will be a start to the recovery of the species.