New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Figure 8 Puffer?

Started by J, April 10, 2009, 08:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J

Just wondering how likely that the figure 8 puffers in the east end are actually figure 8s. I bought a few and having had them a week or so they really seem to be Ceylon Puffers from what I can see, via books and internet browsing. Can anyone comfirm this?

LEROY

Yes theses are in fact Ceylon puffers. I have informed several employees that they are not Figure 8's but no one really listened I guess since they are still labeled as F8's. I have a few puffers of my own and actually bought one from Big Al's and had to return it due to the different housing requirements than my actual figure eights. These puffers will get a considerable amount larger than a fugure eight and I would urge Big Al's to correct the labeling of these fish. So if you plan to keep these puffers I would recommend checking out the pufferforum.com they have a lot of information and a lot of people that would be able to address any questions/concerns you may have.

J

Well what I've done so far is give Big Al's a call. They beleive that the markings on the back that do make a figure eight pattern are what distinguishes the figure eight from ANY other puffer like it, (gsp and ceylon). This started I went digging around on youtube for fig 8 mioves to see how they behaved in other aquascapes and each time I thought..hey that does not look right, thats not a fig 8 is it? Did more looking around, found out I definately have 3 ceylons. Arg! So I'm slowly hiking up the salinity, got rid of my nice brackish plants cause they're not going to make the transition to high-end brackish in a few weeks and will have to find homes for 2 of my puffers.

I'm just dissapointed the associate on the phone and anyone else you've talked to, Leroy, has not either done the research or at least considered that the customer may be right!

LEROY

Yeah it sucks having to get rid of any fish but these guys are epsecially personable. I hated having to get rid of mine but that's how it goes. Yeah I actually spoke to the managers at both east and west end stores one in person and one on the phone but I'm not an expert I guess. Well J I hope you find good homes for your little guys, I'd take one if they were Figure 8's but I've already been down that road. What kind of condition were yours in when you got them? I know the ones I saw were pretty beat up and ragged looking I hated to return him because he looked sooo good after he had a brief stay in my tank. Anyways good luck with everything.

KLKelly

They won't let you return them for a refund?

J

Quote from: KLKelly on April 12, 2009, 04:19:51 PM
They won't let you return them for a refund?

I've had them a few weeks thinking they were fig 8's and therefore have tossed the order from/receipt. Totally my mistake, they did offer to take them off my hands for no refund. That may be an option I'll have to consider if I can't find homes. I pretty much put muself in this situation, though I would have appreciated a correct label at Big Al's.

Just goes to show that you really need to research and understand exactly what your buying because you can't be 100% certain your getting what you paid for! I think this applies to pretty much anything. Lesson learned!

Agnate

Yeah, I tried to let them know they were Ceylons as well and said that they're similar to Green Spotted Puffers (they just get a tad larger, 8 inches instead of 6 inches).

I did the same thing, though.  I bought them thinking they were F8s and they turned out to be Ceylons.  :(

J

Just a follow-up. Found homes for the other puffers and have had 1 for the last week. Definately a ceylon, hes/shes growing  ;D