New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What do you feed stings (pics)

Started by 2chance, February 18, 2007, 12:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chance

Hi,

I'm buying a sting ;D ;D ;D ray for my tank once the filter and water is ready, but I haven't gotten a clue what to feed him/her :D,
and if any one knows, what kind of fish can live with them, community, aggressive? can you put plecos with them?

mseguin

I usually feed them krill, bloodworms, and ghost shrimp. Generally, invertebrates are good, depending on size crabs etc would be taken.
As for tankmates, you're generally talking large but not aggressive and peaceful fish. So for example discus are sometiems kept with them, you could probably keep angels, large rainbows, etc Plecos might a bit iffy as they would be competing for space but in a large enough aquarium should be ok, assuming the pleco isn't small enough to fit in the stingrays mouth.

Quatro

I just saw an article that said suckermouth cats do not mix with rays.  Appartently the pleco would suck the slime coat off the rays resulting in open wounds.

mseguin

I could see that being a potential issue yes.

beowulf

From what I have read you might want to wait a while before getting one as they are better suited in well established tanks.  Also make sure you have a sandy substrate as they love to hide under it.

2chance

well if you can't keep bottom feeders, then what do you do? also can you buy that food for the rays in stores or keep it live in a tank and feed it to him or are the froze or dryed? :D ???

normc

When we had some in the store one of the staff used to hand feed them krill ::)

mseguin

Yeah it takes some patience but I got them to come right up and hand feed. That was fun

2chance

This might sound stupid but what is krill???

beowulf

2chance

I heard that stings burn them selves on the heater, what do you do to stop that without buying a $100.00 heater???

mseguin

2chance

oooo, i didn't know they had something like that :D... Thanks for the heads up, My last question is what Ph and heat level do stings like... I did my research but every one had diffrent opinions :-\ ???....

beowulf

Don't know what you found but from what I have see most freshwater stings like 6.5 to 7.

mseguin

Yeah pH would be acidic, heat level I'd say around high 70's to low 80's

2chance

Just got the little guy, but he/she is not eating the krills? should I do something? how did you train yours to be hand fed?

P.S
Thanks for the info on the ph and temp, my next step is sand... should be here friday,

[attachment deleted by admin]

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

PaleoFishGirl

Aww so cute :)

Maybe it's just not hungry yet? Too stressed out or still full from last time?

Best of luck!

mseguin

yeah just be patient
also try ghost shrimp, live food might be to his liking.
Where did u get it?

2chance

I'll wait and see when stingy is hungry tomorrow and try to feed him something,

I got him special order and shiped for me from big Al's

Costy but it's worth it ;D ;D ;D