New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Any Discus People out there???

Started by 2075turner, January 22, 2009, 06:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2075turner

Hi there,

I am a discus addict. :D 
Any more out there??

KillerSnail

I want to buy one they look flat which makes them cool

2075turner

The colors is what attracted me to them.  I saw my first Discus about 10 years ago, then I was hooked.  I just love the way that they move through the water then coast to a stop and just stay there fanning in place.  I find it very tranquil.

fischkopp

I wouldn't call myself a discus person, but I for sure like them. Unfortunately, I have no tank big enough to keep any. But I am about to change this, planning stage ...  :D

There are a couple of people here on OVAS that keep and even breed discus. I am sure they will show themselves soon. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

SouthR

Love them, had them over 20 yrs ago, now starting them again. Looking to get more, have a 135 set-up still needs more plants. Have 2 cannister filters + overflow (using old gravel and spaghum moss for media lighting MH 2x250). Met someone last week who is a discus addict, plan to talk to them again and if possible buy some from them. If anyone has some for sell would be interested, looking for turquoise, and reds.

Richard

BigDaddy

I used to keep several varieties of discus.  Have scaled back a lot since then and currently only have a lonely cobalt.

Bwhiskered

I haven't had discus for a couple of years but that has changed recently as my wife Janet has developed an interest in them. In fact a newly acquired pair of red spotted turquoise just spawned in the community tank last night. Now I have to give them a tank of their own if I want to raise any. The first discus that I ever had was a pair of red heckels that spawned and raised their own fry. You can't even find red heckels any more. Just the blue.

clouxles

I keep about a dozen in a 150 gallon... Wouldn't call myself a Discus addict though I just have a hobby gone wild.  8)
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

ottawadiscus

I'm keeping discus for few years(~12 years). Currently I have only 5 wild caught discus in my 220gal tank.  Since I don't have enough time I decided to sell them.  :'(
"A man with hobbies never has time to waste" B.P

Fishnut

I love them and used to keep them.  They're not the easiest fish to keep that's for sure.  Maybe some day when I have the time, I'll keep them again.  Every time I go to Toronto, I visit Lucky Aquarium and get the itch.  They have some of the nicest Discus available in retail I have ever seen!

apuppet

i wouldnt say "addict", i do plan on getting more.  They ahve their own beauty, and character. and absolutly peaceful to watch, so gracesful and majestic.

they are challenging to keep but it can be done, had mine from fry to adults. and love every step of their growth.  watch them in the morning, noon, evening and midnight.
cant get enought of them.

okay. maybe a little bit addicted.
planted

ricklude

yes i love the discus they make me :D crazy im serching for a yellow one to put in my tank if some one have 1 for sale im interested.

2075turner

Any pics of your fish??

Here are some of mine that I took for some people lately. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fishnut

Nice fish!  Did those eggs in the first pic ever hatch?

Yup, I would say you're an addict!  :D

2075turner

Quote from: Fishnut on January 26, 2009, 03:50:53 PM
Nice fish!  Did those eggs in the first pic ever hatch?

Yup, I would say you're an addict!  :D

LOL, those are only some of the strains that I have.  I will post some other pics when I have the chance to take some more. 
To answer your question about the eggs, no they didn't hatch as the water is too hard.  I have them in a community tank as well.  I have to set my breeders back up and haven't had the time as of yet, and start to soften their water in order for the eggs to hatch.  I'm hoping by this weekend. ::)  If I only had 30 hours a day, lol

2075turner

Anyone else with some pics??  I LOVE PICS!!!!!
Can't take them worth a &^%#, but love looking at them, LOL!

ottawadiscus

My old wild discus collection.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2075turner

Those are some nice wilds :)

I have one tank with some juvies that I got from Jack Spencer recently. :)

ottawadiscus

What type of wild discus do you have?

J

Every time I'm in at Al's I make a point of checking out the current stock of discus. It's one of those species that have caught my since I was just a kid. Someday...