New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Any Discus People out there???

Started by 2075turner, January 22, 2009, 06:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2075turner

Quote from: ottawadiscus on January 28, 2009, 11:54:33 AM
What type of wild discus do you have?

They are some Rio Madiera and Rio Purus,  I'll get a photo up of them for you.

robt18

Nice pics everyone!

I've only had discus for about 3 years, and had to change all of them over when I moved cities. I currently have 16.

I'd say I'm addicted.

2075turner

Quote from: robt18 on February 12, 2009, 06:00:17 PM
Nice pics everyone!

I've only had discus for about 3 years, and had to change all of them over when I moved cities. I currently have 16.

I'd say I'm addicted.

So where are your pics??? ;)
Love to see them ::)

wandmangels

i'm not an addict....YET!!! but i want more discus...preferably red-turquois or blue diamonds anyone?

[attachment deleted by admin]

ricklude

hers some pics but they are old so im gona take some new one to chow you

2075turner

what size of tank do you have them in?

Loraloo

I'm actually thinking of switching over to discus currently. I love them! I just don't know anywhere else to buy other than big als??? are there any private breeders in ottawa who are selling??

robt18

My 16 are all in a 75... it's quite full, but the tank is really well maintained, heavily filtered (yet not much flow in the tank). I'd say there's still a little room for more ;)

I'll post some of my pictures when I get a chance... they're on facebook and extremely low quality, but I guess they'll do!

Steve_2

16 in a 75? Are they all juveniles?  :o

So far I only have four in my 150g, but I plan on getting at least four more. The four I have are juveniles, Averaging 3-3.5". They are 1 marlboro red, one cobalt, and two golden pigeons. I've only had them for about 3 months. They were bought during Big Al's boxing week sale when they were about 1.5".

I keep mine in a planted tank with several other south american fish. 8 Rummy nose tetras(I want 4 more), 12 serpae tetras, 6 bleeding heart tetras(I want to add 2 more), 6 undulated cories(I need more), a few otos and a school of male endlers so that I have SOME fish swimming on the top level of the tank. The endlers were an experiment, I had too many males. So far so good!

I generally do one 50-75% weekly water change. Sometimes two. All the fish seem to be doing well. The only problem I have with the tank(and it's a big one) is that I have blue/green algae/cyano. It's a pain and even though I remove all I can at every water change, it comes back every week, giving the water a swampy smell. I used to have angels in the tank which ate a lot and ate fast, so I had to over feed the tank so that all the fish would get SOME food. I have recently gotten rid of them so I am feeding less. Hopefully that will help. My other concern is that I have a lot of drift wood. Maybe the slow rotting of the wood causes a lot of organic pollution. I like the wood because it helps keep my pH around 6 all the time, so I hope I don't have to get rid of it.

guyfish

Is anybody selling..I've just started into discus aswell..I have a red turquoise and another that I'm not sure...But I'm hooked.I'd like more but don't really like what Big Als has in stock.

wish_Fish

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tp.bridges/discus2.html

found this artice online.. lots of helpful info...

the pix are my female leopard snake skin and heckel.

2075turner

Quote from: guyfish on March 24, 2009, 10:40:11 PM
Is anybody selling..I've just started into discus aswell..I have a red turquoise and another that I'm not sure...But I'm hooked.I'd like more but don't really like what Big Als has in stock.

Hi there

I will have some for sale.  Just send me a pm and I will send you my address to come by and check out what I have.  No obligation to buy, even if you just want to come by and check out the fish.

2075turner

Quote from: wish_Fish on April 04, 2009, 01:30:20 AM
http://www3.sympatico.ca/tp.bridges/discus2.html

found this artice online.. lots of helpful info...

Thanks for the info.  I have thought about artifical raising before, just to time consuming right now.  Maybe in the future :-\ 8)

Nice snakeskin that you have there!  Thanks for sharing!! :)

guyfish

I have some that I'd be willing to trade or possibly sell..Looking for a little variety...For trade...
3 red turq
2 blue snakeskin
1 red snakeskin

3 to 5 inch

Please send me a PM... You can come see them if you want...They're beauty's  :)

wish_Fish

Quote from: guyfish on April 15, 2009, 12:17:09 AM
I have some that I'd be willing to trade or possibly sell..Looking for a little variety...For trade...
3 red turq
2 blue snakeskin
1 red snakeskin

3 to 5 inch

Please send me a PM... You can come see them if you want...They're beauty's  :)

Can you post some pix of your discus? that indeed sound interesting.

guyfish

Here are some pics..Tank is a little cloudy..I have red dragon pigeon, red melon, blue snakeskin, red turq and blue turq. And one very strange orange one. They are all between 3-4 inches (which shows how massive that peice of driftwood is..lol) . I would like to trade for a solid light blue, yellow, white butterfly or simlar. Just trying to get some variety. And I would be willing to sell a red turq or two... PM me if interested.

guyfish

more pics..

guyfish

Supposedly this is a red snakeskin that came out kinda messed up. I don't know but it's very unique. Sort of a burnt orange. Turned out to be one of my faves.. Nobody else has one. And about 4"

2075turner

Nice group shot that you have there.  I like having a variety as well.  I am hoping to have my extra tanks up and going this weekend and take some more photos.  Like I said, I like photos!!! ;D

lgeric65

Heres one Discus Addict, I have 5 Super Blue Angels from Wayne Ng's Discus center in Hong Kong, purchased through Upper Canada Discus and 10 Blue Knight x Violet Reflection. I am going to breed them and will have some for sale in the future.
I used lake water after beigh uv sterilized and filtered so I can run  fresh water through my tanks as many times as 9 5 gallon buckets a day lol.