New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dallas Discus Show with a question

Started by 2075turner, June 26, 2010, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2075turner

A couple of weeks ago my hubby and I went down to Dallas for the NADA (North American Discus Association) Discus Show.  Had a great time and met a lot of old and new friends.  I ran into xxxx Au once again and he said he enjoyed coming to Ottawa and doing his presentation :)  Good memory as  he did reconize me and said that I had travelled a long way to be at the show :)  Here are some pics of the fish and sights if anyone is interested.  I was also thinking of having a little get together to talk about Discus if anyone is interested.  Please pm me with your contact inform and maybe we can get together.  I could host the first one and show the discus that I have around my home.  I could come up with some topics to discuss and if others would like to host after I do mine, maybe we can get together a few times a year.  I currently travel down to the states to attend get togethers like this and have a great time meeting others that are interested in discus and I have formed new friends with the same interest as I do.  Also, if you are interested can you give me an idea of when it would be good for you to attend.  I was thinking of August myself...maybe beginning or mid month.  Thanks, and here's the link to the pictures....

http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/ad255/2075turner/NADA%20Dallas%202010%20Pics/

Nerine

awesome photos!!
Glad you had a great time :) I don't keep discus (no space at the moment!) but always enjoy looking at them!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Fishnut

What amazing looking fish!  As beautiful as they all are, my favourite is the wild discus.  If only I had the time to put into them.

Do wild discus and altum angels co-habitate in the wild or do they occupy a different niche?

2075turner

Quote from: Nerine on June 26, 2010, 09:58:30 AM
awesome photos!!
Glad you had a great time :) I don't keep discus (no space at the moment!) but always enjoy looking at them!

Thanks,

I love the fish and love to get together with people with the same passion.  If you want to come to the meeting that I am trying to organize, you would be more than welcome to come over and look at the ones I have around here.  You don't have to have a collection, just the interest of discus :)

2075turner

Quote from: Fishnut on June 26, 2010, 12:09:28 PM
What amazing looking fish!  As beautiful as they all are, my favourite is the wild discus.  If only I had the time to put into them.

Do wild discus and altum angels co-habitate in the wild or do they occupy a different niche?

I am currently trying to arrange a wild shipment to come in.  I too love the look of a "natural wild".  Just have to wait for the next collecting season to begin.  As you mentioned they require a more fine tuned caretaking then the domestic ones I currently have, so I'm looking forward to that challange.  I am in the process of re-organizing my fishroon to accomdate some more tanks.  As for the angels, they are from the same area, however prefer different substrate than discus.  Their water parameters are the same so they get grouped together in our aquariums a lot.

Stussi613

I'm in for the Discus Discussion...but I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't want me coming to your house any more Evelyn, everytime I do I come home with more of the best Discus to be found in Ottawa!
I haz reef tanks.

2075turner

Quote from: Stussi613 on June 28, 2010, 10:14:57 AM
I'm in for the Discus Discussion...but I'm pretty sure my wife doesn't want me coming to your house any more Evelyn, everytime I do I come home with more of the best Discus to be found in Ottawa!

Hey Stuart,

Cool.  I will put you on the list of people to contact.  Looks like we have some interest from a wide range of people.  Newbies to some that have had them for a few years. :)   I would like to point out that even if you have none and just have an interest come on by.  Not sure what topics will be discussed as of yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something ;) (talking about discus with me can be for hours :), lol, as people have discover when they come over here ;), lol)

Seems like the wife enjoyed her visit ;)  So maybe she can come over and check things out again.  She seemed to get into picking out the fishies the last time, lol

People think I have my tanks in the basement for a totally different reason than what it really is...easier clean up for the drool (okay sometimes mine) when viewing discus, lol

Fishnut

Quote from: 2075turner on June 28, 2010, 11:25:21 AM
I would like to point out that even if you have none and just have an interest come on by.  Not sure what topics will be discussed as of yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something ;) (talking about discus with me can be for hours :), lol, as people have discover when they come over here ;), lol)

Oh!  In that case, sign me up as well! :)

Chinaman

Never get tired of watching these guys......Please sign me up to the
"Discus get together function".  When the World Cup wraps up next month,
I will set up another tank and stock a few more.  Will knock on your
door for stock.

Cheers,

Sam

2075turner

Cool 8)

Looks like we will have a nice little group.  Next month works for me as well.  I will need some time to get things organized.  I will put on a BBQ with some burgers and hot dogs for the group. ;) 

2075turner

Oh, if you should want to get a hold of me.  My phone number is 613-226-5405, or easiest way is to email me.

Jay

BBQ and Discus.  Great idea.  I think it would also be a good idea for me to bring my girlfriend around to see your tanks.  She loves all the ones I brought home from your stock already. Seeing the rest of your selection and how amazing they are should only help her understand why you can never have too many Discus.  And help her understand why 120g is NOT a "big enough" tank...as she says..

2075turner

Quote from: Jay on June 28, 2010, 02:59:32 PM
BBQ and Discus.  Great idea.  I think it would also be a good idea for me to bring my girlfriend around to see your tanks.  She loves all the ones I brought home from your stock already. Seeing the rest of your selection and how amazing they are should only help her understand why you can never have too many Discus.  And help her understand why 120g is NOT a "big enough" tank...as she says..

LOL, my collection all started with a 55 gal....it has grown a little since then ;).  Think of it this way, you will look normal for wanting at least another tank.  THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR ONE MORE!  At least that's what I tell Norm, lol.  I am looking forward to this already & I look forward to meeting your girlfriend :)  It will be bring you own drinks though, lol.  Should be a good time. ;)

2075turner

Okay, my place isn't this packed.  Jay, I though you would find this funny....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSL7ZaJlTvE

Brent Shaver

Thats some serious fish tanks...lol  Makes mine look like a beginner...

Thanks for the link

Fishnut

Lol...that guy in the video must be single. There's no way a spouce would allow every wall and surface to be covered with a tank! LOL :)

fischkopp

Thanks for insight to the discus show in Dallas! Wish I could have made it. Great fish to been seen there!

I am all in to spend a afternoon with some fellows to talk discus!  :D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

2075turner

Well for some reason, my postings have brought some concerns...so it will be kept to a minimum.  I still intend to have my get together to talk about discus.  Everyone is welcome, I love discus and I will have them here for anyone to come and check out and talk about :)  So if anyone is interested, let me know by pm or email me with your contact info.  Thanks, Evelyn

2075turner

So how does July 31st sound to you guys?  I will be going down to the States the following weekend to attend another Discus get together.  At around 12 pm?  We will have a little lunch, then introductions & discussions, view some fish and enjoy some conversation.... 8) :)  In other words make an afternoon of it? :) :) :)

2075turner

Quote from: fischkopp on June 29, 2010, 11:19:12 AM
Thanks for insight to the discus show in Dallas! Wish I could have made it. Great fish to been seen there!

I am all in to spend a afternoon with some fellows to talk discus!  :D

Cool, I will contact you.

pushbuttonstart

Bit too far for the get together but thanks for the pics!
Seems like u have a nice collection there. I might be interested in the wild's you said you would be bringing in. Love the wild's!!!

2075turner

Well the wilds that I am bring in are for my breeding stock.  I just sell a few fish here and there to help pay the bills that I seem to be adding to monthly or when I am switching things around and need some tanks empty.  I am also getting back into breeding, so I am buying different strains for this purpose as well.  This addiction is costly once I started adding tanks, so far I have about 2500 gals in tanks in my home.  Slowly, I am making my own Marineland in my basement...Discusland if you will, lol.  As for the drive, to toot my own horn, it'll be worth it...bbq, talks about discus, and lots of discus to look at :o  I'm looking forward to it.  I always have a great time at these get togethers down in the states, so why not here?  Hope you change your mind and come on over :)

2075turner

So I just wanted to update this thread for the upcoming meeting.  The date has changed to August 21st starting at 12pm.  Hope everyone can make it.  I have sent out pm's to those that showed interest and those that have contacted me in the past regarding discus. :)