New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Marlboro Red Discus

Started by 2075turner, July 14, 2010, 10:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2075turner

Here is the next pair that I am working with....Marlboro reds...they have laid eggs in my community tank before and have got them to the wiggler state.  A few attached to the parents then disappeared so they are in their own tank now and are staking out the cone.  Hope that they do their magic again and see fry again. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jay

Nice.....

My pair finally got the hang of things.  I had free swimmers that were attaching to the parents just over a week ago.....they all slowly disappeared in the community tank though. I assume they became tetra food.  I was planning on moving them to their own tank sometime this week, but they've already spawned again and the wigglers were on a leaf this morning.

Brent Shaver

Beautiful fish...

One day when I grow up I too want to try discus... smiles

karjean

You are right Brent, i do feel the same. Still a few years left.... :)

2075turner

Quote from: Brent Shaver on July 14, 2010, 12:01:16 PM
Beautiful fish...

One day when I grow up I too want to try discus... smiles

Why not come over at the end of the month for my discus get together?  Everyone that has an interest in discus is invited....you don't have to own discus to come :)

2075turner

Quote from: Jay on July 14, 2010, 10:12:44 AM
Nice.....

My pair finally got the hang of things.  I had free swimmers that were attaching to the parents just over a week ago.....they all slowly disappeared in the community tank though. I assume they became tetra food.  I was planning on moving them to their own tank sometime this week, but they've already spawned again and the wigglers were on a leaf this morning.

Cool....I haven't heard from you or Stuart for a while so I didn't know what was going on.  I thought you had a 30 gal already set up??

Brent Shaver

I will have to see what happens.  The end of the month is my busiest time for me, but should it be slower then normal I will make an attempt to make it.

Thanks for the offer

Jay

I do have a 30g setup, but I;m using it to grow out the turks I bought from you.  They sure get big fast when you have them in a BB tank!  Now that I know my pair is fertile and are good with the fry, I think its time for a second one to try my luck with the breeding.

2075turner

Quote from: Jay on July 15, 2010, 08:20:55 AM
I do have a 30g setup, but I;m using it to grow out the turks I bought from you.  They sure get big fast when you have them in a BB tank!  Now that I know my pair is fertile and are good with the fry, I think its time for a second one to try my luck with the breeding.

Ah, BB way to go!!  Not too many people listen to me when I tell that that BB is the way to go when raising out juvies.  Crazy how differently they grow.  Good luck with your pair...so is there a competition brewing between you and Stuart yet?? LOL :)

2075turner

Now back to the marlboro pair.  They are currently sitting on eggs.  24 hours ago they laid, so now I wait to see what kind of parents they will make now that they are in their own tank.  The male is very protective and doesn't want me to move the cone to take pics so I won't so that he doesn't get spooked and eat the eggs....I hope to soon have some pics for you guys  ;)

Jay

Haha....I think there is a little competition between us.  A very lazy one anyways. The winner will most likely be the first one to finally get around to seperating their pair into a new tank. One where cardinal tetra's can''t eat all the fry when they start free swimming.

2075turner

Quote from: Jay on July 15, 2010, 02:48:45 PM
Haha....I think there is a little competition between us.  A very lazy one anyways. The winner will most likely be the first one to finally get around to seperating their pair into a new tank. One where cardinal tetra's can''t eat all the fry when they start free swimming.

LOL, that's just too funny.  Just wait for all the rest of the work with the water changes once the fry start growing ;D

Stussi613

Quote from: Jay on July 15, 2010, 02:48:45 PM

Ha, Jay would EASILY win the competition since my work travel schedule usually sees me doing water changes at 2:00 in the morning on a Saturyday night because it's the only 30 minute window I have open.

Actually, if I get that pair I have into their own tank and get some babies that the tetra's don't devour I'd be counting on Jay to do water changes for me when I'm a few time zones away so he'd still be the winner.
I haz reef tanks.

2075turner

Quote from: 2075turner on July 15, 2010, 02:35:07 PM
Now back to the marlboro pair.  They are currently sitting on eggs.  24 hours ago they laid, so now I wait to see what kind of parents they will make now that they are in their own tank.  The male is very protective and doesn't want me to move the cone to take pics so I won't so that he doesn't get spooked and eat the eggs....I hope to soon have some pics for you guys  ;)

Well I got my answer...they suck.  They ate the eggs so the next batch I will be adding a screen >:(  We will see if that works :)

Chinaman

What is a "BB" tank?  Is it a cube tank?
Please enlighten.

Sam

wantfish

Bare Bottom
Quote from: Chinaman on July 23, 2010, 01:48:11 PM
What is a "BB" tank?  Is it a cube tank?
Please enlighten.

Sam

Jay

Chinaman