New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank Cleaning Advice

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, October 04, 2014, 08:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hallo!

I just acquired a used 20 gallon tank from a collegue, and unfortunately near the end of her fish keeping she was a bit neglectful with the tank. She also gave me the heater and filter that came with it. Where the tank was is an area of hard water (Georgetown) so a lot of hard water scale has developed on the tank wherever there had been algae buildup on the tank.

I get to try to clean it before paying her for it, but I wanted some tips to see how easy/difficult this job is going to be. I know something like CLR will probably get this tank clean lol but I don't think that's overly safe.

Pictures below of how much work this is lol. Any and all advice appreciated! I'm looking to start breeding corydoras, Bristlenose plecos, shrimp and having a planted tank to grow plants in, not all in the same tank though lol. I want a tank for each of the aforementioned.

Thanks!!

101DalmatianMollies

Pyrrolin

sometimes tanks can end up being etched, I have a few very old tanks that are like this.

But vinegar will help lots to remove hard water stains.  I would fill the tank almost with water and put a few cups of vinegar in and let it sit for a couple days.  I use a spray bottle of vinegar and distilled water for cleaning the outside of my tanks, distilled water won't add any mineral deposits and the vinegar helps remove existing stains.

You can also, if really bad, scrape the glass with a razor blade.

Last resort, CLR and make sure you rinse the hell out of it after to be safe and wash with vinegar

ftan

Why go through all that pain and agony trying to restore tank.
You can buy a brand new 20g at Bigals for 25.00
75g  congo tertas
        columbian tetras
        torpedo barbs
        tinfoil barbs

10g planted
pair of killifish

wolfiewill

I too like to recycle tanks. Perhaps it's our 'civic duty' to recycle whenever we can. I have 13 tanks and half of them were found at the end of someone's driveway on give-away days. Two of my recycled tanks come from North Gower with hard well water the only source of water. I soak in warm water (not hot) over night to see if it leaks, and if it doesn't, I take a kitchen sponge (devoted to my fish room of course) with a coarse back side and give it a good scrub, and rinse well. If you can feel the deposit with your fingers, try scraping it with a brand new razor blade - the sharper the better. After that, it's very much all you can do. I've tried vinegar and CLR with limited success. The glass manufacturers with tell you that once 'etched' by water hardness, it's impossible to remove all of the white haze. But with water in them the haze is usually not that noticeable, especially if you choose the best side to be the front. And, if you're breeding in them the appearance only has to suit you anyway. So don't throw it out if it's reusable. But if you do decide to toss it, and it doesn't leak, pm me, I'll take it off your hands.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

ftan

I like to sleep knowing my tanks won't burst.
75g  congo tertas
        columbian tetras
        torpedo barbs
        tinfoil barbs

10g planted
pair of killifish

lucius

Quote from: ftan on October 05, 2014, 12:37:30 PM
I like to sleep knowing my tanks won't burst.

My first brand new 90 gallon had a questionable seal that Marineland felt the need to replace.

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 05, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
I too like to recycle tanks. Perhaps it's our 'civic duty' to recycle whenever we can. I have 13 tanks and half of them were found at the end of someone's driveway on give-away days. Two of my recycled tanks come from North Gower with hard well water the only source of water. I soak in warm water (not hot) over night to see if it leaks, and if it doesn't, I take a kitchen sponge (devoted to my fish room of course) with a coarse back side and give it a good scrub, and rinse well. If you can feel the deposit with your fingers, try scraping it with a brand new razor blade - the sharper the better. After that, it's very much all you can do. I've tried vinegar and CLR with limited success. The glass manufacturers with tell you that once 'etched' by water hardness, it's impossible to remove all of the white haze. But with water in them the haze is usually not that noticeable, especially if you choose the best side to be the front. And, if you're breeding in them the appearance only has to suit you anyway. So don't throw it out if it's reusable. But if you do decide to toss it, and it doesn't leak, pm me, I'll take it off your hands.

It's kind of an adventure with this tank. Apparently it's an old Hagen(?) tank, as the filter that came with it is an Elite20. Right now it's sitting in my bathtub with cold water in it waiting to see if it will leak over the next 24-48 hours. The hood is in half decent shape I just don't have a light fixture for it and I was out pricing hoods today... which wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be LOL! The measurements are wonky at 30cm x 60cm (~12" x ~24") so there doesn't seem to be a hood that fits it? I unfortunately didn't read the measurements properly when I left the house and thought I was dealing with inches (30"x60" lol!).

I stopped over at BigAls and they did recommend I pitch the filter and get a new one. That isn't so bad, unless the heater I have doesn't work either. That's the next thing I'm going to test. It's the hood that I'm a bit down on, as I want to have live plants in my breeder tank, but at the moment can't afford the LED plant lights (Regardless of how pretty and efficient they are! :D) I'd be happy with fluorescent but that goes back to the whole awkward measurements thing.

I'm not going to give up on it, I got it for nothing. I can feel the grit on the surface of the tank, so I don't know if it's etched or not, as there is quite the buildup! I'll have to see after I start cleaning it. The heater has hardwater scale on it as well, I used a little bit of vinegar on it and it seemed to lift some but instead of it being visible, I could then only feel it. Not that it matters on the heater per se but I don't want it to make the heater malfunction :S.

I too feel that I want to recycle tanks. I mean what's a little hard work? :)

lucius

Quote from: 101DalmatianMollies on October 05, 2014, 09:00:37 PM
The measurements are wonky at 30cm x 60cm (~12" x ~24") so there doesn't seem to be a hood that fits it?

I guess Marineland doesn't make them anymore but you probably need the full fluorescent hood that sits on top of the frame rather than in the frame.

http://www.marineland.com/Products/discontinued-aquarium-parts/Universal-Fit-Hoods.aspx

limmer

I think I would clean the filter and test it before I tossed it.

101DalmatianMollies

I saw some universl hoods at Petsmart but I had a hood similar to that (the topfin) that originally came with my 10 gal and it wasn't a good hood. I like the one I have now, it has an LED insert, but they were saying at big als it'd be too small for plants - maybe only low light plants.

My thought was to clean the filter too and try it, but at big als they were saying that the filter cartridges aren't made anymore. I have two fresh ones, but after that I'd be at a loss. Granted how often do you need to change a filter cartridge?

101DalmatianMollies

This is the filter that came with the tank; http://www.petdiscounters.com/Hagen-Elite-Hush-20-Power-Filter_p_17184.html
So looks like I can get some replacement filters, could even replace the whole unit really... Just not familiar with the website.

lucius

You could take the foam to BA or Pets Smart and see if another brand has similar media.

neon1423

I to have fought with hardwater stains, and what surprised me is when someone recommended lemon juice. Don't laugh it worked miracles for me and I still keep a bottle of it in the fridge. Good luck

101DalmatianMollies

So it's been less than 24 hours since I filled the tank with water and I feel it may have a slow leak. Will give it one more day, as I'm not sure if it's evaporation (unlikely) or not.

If the seals do suck, is there any way to reseal a tank?

guck

Quote from: neon1423 on October 06, 2014, 12:09:02 PM
I to have fought with hardwater stains, and what surprised me is when someone recommended lemon juice. Don't laugh it worked miracles for me and I still keep a bottle of it in the fridge. Good luck
Hey, the liquid that is sold to clean Keuring coffee maker contains citric acid.  Guess what's in lemon juice? :) 

guck

Quote from: 101DalmatianMollies on October 06, 2014, 04:50:22 PM
So it's been less than 24 hours since I filled the tank with water and I feel it may have a slow leak. Will give it one more day, as I'm not sure if it's evaporation (unlikely) or not.

If the seals do suck, is there any way to reseal a tank?
I have seen threads on this forum.  I am sure someone will reply.  It's definitely doable.  Check this thread about a cracked glass...http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=57989.0

Have fun

Mike L

At this point it just makes more sense to by a new tank. The cost of the caulking is going to be half the cost of a new one. you would be amazed at the mess 20 gallons on your floor makes.

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: Mike L on October 06, 2014, 05:08:36 PM
At this point it just makes more sense to by a new tank. The cost of the caulking is going to be half the cost of a new one. you would be amazed at the mess 20 gallons on your floor makes.

Yeah that's why I left it in the bathtub lol in case a panel fell off.