New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Using heaters in tanks with no filters

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, November 09, 2014, 10:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hi there!

My Betta tank is a small, 5ish gallon tank. I haven't been using a heater in it, and discovered that it's been getting quite cold. My boyfriend bought me a submersible heater - the aqueon 10. I'm excited but the instructions said to put it in a place of moving water. I don't use a filter with this tank due to the size.

I have two questions: should I be using a filter? Can this heater really be used without a filter?

Thanks!

limed

Be careful using the heater, the heater could be rated for a large volume of water which will
over heat the water and cook your fish. Check how may gallon (liters) the heat is for and check
the size of the tank the fish is in. Moving water is better to cycle the water to the same temperature
in the whole tank, no hot and cold spots.
   Also I would remove the fish if you add the heater to see what temperature it stabilize at, then if it good over about 3-4 hours I would then put the fish back in. Remember use the method as if you adding new fish in, temp, water/chemical differences.  You should also know the temp range your fish is good in.

Ed

ajm1961

Unless you are keeping your home on the chilly side, room temperature water should be okay with bettas. Their ideal range is 76-82. But they survive quite well at 72.  My house heat is between 68-72 and I've had no issues so far (after a few years of betta keeping).

As to filtering, the main issue is current. Bettas do NOT do well with current because of their finage. In the wild they are mainly in stagnant or low flow water. I've lost one betta due to current - it couldn't keep up with it.

If you were going to use a heater, I would suggest also using a sponge filter. You would also have to ensure the water does not overheat, especially if it is a small tank.

Personally, I would keep it without filter or heater - place the aquarium in a draft-free area of the house, and perhaps use some lighting (or near a light source) to keep it warmer during the day. Water changes every week also is a must in my opinion.

Any other betta keepers here with a suggestion?
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

101DalmatianMollies

The heater is only rated for up to 5 gal and tops out at 78 degrees. My bedroom is much cooler than that, during the winter it gets below 60 in my room. I went for the heater as his appetite isn't the best and it was suggested that warming up the water a bit would help.

The heater instructions also say that if the ambient temperature goes above 78 to remove the heater.

I've kept many bettas before him, he's my 15th in 10 years, and this is the first time I've been told that having the water heated is a good idea. So far it's slowly warmed the water up.

I'll look into the sponge heater. What about a bubbler? Would that cause just enough current or would that still be too much?

neon1423

I have 2 bettas, one is in a 5 gallon column tank with heat and filtration, the other is in 1.5gallon with just a small sponge filter. If you do use heat, make sure its not overheating one area, one way around this is put the heater as close to the bottom as possible (Heat rises as we all know), while this won't make up for the circulation a filter does, it will minimize any overheated zones. My 5 gallon uses an internal filter and I use a decoration to break the current so mr Betta isnt fighting it all the time.

A bubbler could be used to provide some circulation, but again, nothing will match a filters level of circulation.

Hope this helps

charlie

I have used the Aqueon 10 with a filter like
http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/Filter_18610818.
In a betta 2.5 gln  tank for my niece with no issues

missavgp

Another good little filter is the Elite Mini. It's an underwater filter with adjustable flow so if you find he current is to strong for the betta, you can dial it back. On it's lowest setting, my male halfmoon sits in front of it and it doesn't bother him at all.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

Pyrrolin

A filter would be the best thing to maintain ammonia and nitrites.  I personally use an aquaclear 20 turned down all the way for my betta in a 2.5 gallon.

If you do not want to put a filter in, I recommend putting an air stone in to help circulate the water for the heater and to help make the water not go stagnant and smelly.

A filter is your best thing though to keep the fish healthy.

daworldisblack

As far as filters go,  something like this would work too:

http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/biomaxx.html

There are many similar ones out there as well: Azoo Palm, Finnex Mini Hang On Back, Red Sea Deco Art Nano filter etc. Perhaps a locak LFS can order them in for you. There is a valve that you can turn to limit the intake and works great for a 3-5Gal aquarium IMO
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Laura

I like that little heater. I've used it in 3-5 gallon tanks and IME it only heats the water a couple of degrees above room temp. IMHO bettas like heat and room temp, esp in the winter can be a bit cool for them.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds