New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mosses

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, November 14, 2014, 10:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hiya!

As you guys have been amazing and have answered a lot of my questions, I definitely feel comfortable asking yet another one! :D

My boyfriend is currently fishless cycling a shrimp tank. Everything is going very well and we're getting to a point where we will want to add plants. He would like to have a carpet of moss along the bottom for the shrimps to enjoy.

He has the Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum, and would like to have a carpet of moss. I saw the crystalwort which looked like it could be a really nice carpet of moss, however he would like something more like the moss balls in appearance.

Do the moss balls spread out or do they naturally ball up? Can they be made to lay flat? Other than the crystalwort and java moss, is there a moss that looks more like the moss balls but lays flat? I think he's thinking of moss that you see on trees outside. I know you can't put that in an aquarium, but is there any aquatic moss that looks similar to that other than the moss balls?

Thanks so much!! Looking forward to your input! :D

exv152

Java moss can be wrapped around stones & pieces of driftwood with thread, and it will take the shape of the stone. Zip ties work too. I've also seen some folks super glue moss to stones, but I've never tried it.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

101DalmatianMollies

I might need to clarify a bit:

Making the carpet with the java moss or the crystalwort isn't an issue - lots of info on how to do that available. It's the look of the carpet that seems to be the issue.

Although I think this looks great:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/9/7/5/3/2/webimg/314675268_o.jpg

My boyfriend is looking for something that looks more like this:
http://www.aquariumdomain.com/images/plant_freshwater/mossBall1.jpg

However he wants to make a carpet out of the moss balls, but doesn't want it to be a bunch of moss balls along the bottom of his tank. I was wondering if there was a finer moss that looks like the moss balls available that doesn't ball up.

Thanks! :)

charlie

Have a look at mini pellia /coral moss.
Can add up in a hurry depending on how big a carpet you are after & how fast you want the carpet to establish

Pyrrolin

I was thinking something like Pelia myself

fishy friend

The mosses look great. I will look into getting some for my shrimp tank. :) thank you the idea