New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I'm so excited!!

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, March 19, 2015, 11:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

So last night I was taking stuff out of the bucket I use for water changes, and one of the things I had in it was this tower ornament. When I took it out, all of this stuff came falling out of it, inclusive of one of my poor assassin snails. Turns out when I removed it from the tank, big mamma was in it and I never checked.

So I was pretty sad, thinking what an awful way to die.... Regardless I threw the shell back in the tank at my bfs recommendation - I wasn't going to.

Low and behold this morning she is climbing the glass!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's her too, because the shell is no longer where I put it, and I only had 4 assassin snails in my tank, and she'd make #4!

I'm so impressed by these creatures now! Going to be more diligent checking my ornaments when I remove them from now on.

sas

Good stuff. Yes always double check holes you never know what you may find.
Years ago I bought a complete system, dismantled it and travelled 2 hours home with it. Once home I left everything til after supper, when things were quieter and stated reassembling the tank. I managed to get everything done except putting driftwood back and then quit for the night. I went back at it the next day around noon, putting the wood back in the tank, and just as I'm  lifting a piece to put in the tank a catfish pops out. Luckily it plopped right into the tank. I don't know who was more surprised.

SlyAngel

It so great to hear stories like that, it's positive and puts a smile on our face. Thanks for sharing! :)
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: sas on March 19, 2015, 02:15:23 PM
Good stuff. Yes always double check holes you never know what you may find.
Years ago I bought a complete system, dismantled it and travelled 2 hours home with it. Once home I left everything til after supper, when things were quieter and stated reassembling the tank. I managed to get everything done except putting driftwood back and then quit for the night. I went back at it the next day around noon, putting the wood back in the tank, and just as I'm  lifting a piece to put in the tank a catfish pops out. Luckily it plopped right into the tank. I don't know who was more surprised.

Oh goodness! Thankfully it survived in the wood! I would've done a double take!

Quote from: SlyAngel on March 19, 2015, 04:09:49 PM
It so great to hear stories like that, it's positive and puts a smile on our face. Thanks for sharing! :)

You're most welcome! The funny part was, she already had one of the other snails attached at her hip this morning as she climbed the glass. All I could think was, "Oh my goodness, you're alive! and you already have a hitchhiker!" those assassin snails lol. I don't think that one leaves her alone, they've always been together, no babies though.

wolfiewill

Years ago, as a kid, I had a kuhli loach that I thought I had lost into the floor drain of my parents house. I used to clean my tanks over the drain when I was over hauling them. I thought I had taken everything out first but this one I apparently missed. I saw it at the last second but it was too late. However, several weeks later I was cleaning another tank and out of the black water in the drain, I saw it come to the surface for a split second. I immediately jammed my hand into the drain and recovered it. It lived for a very long time but I'll never forget the incident. The water in the drain was jet black with who-knows-what and the volume was only about 2 cups. And they say life is fragile.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

George2

Quote from: 101DalmatianMollies on March 19, 2015, 11:16:51 AM

So I was pretty sad, thinking what an awful way to die.... Regardless I threw the shell back in the tank at my bfs recommendation - I wasn't going to.

Low and behold this morning she is climbing the glass!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad there is a happy ending.  :)
I occasionally find my nerite snails near my rimless tank on the floor, completely lifeless. When I put them back in the tank, they usually start moving again within an hour.  :)