New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant Help

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, May 01, 2016, 09:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hey Folks,

So I bought some 1-2-grow pots - and one in particular I think I'm over my head with - http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Hemianthuscallitrichoides'Cuba'(048BTC)/4478

The Hemianthus. I'm trying to grow them, but I don't think I'm giving it enough of what it needs. They haven't spread any since I bought them, in fact a few of the clippings have shrunk away and disappeared (died).

Any tips without diving into the world of CO2?

Thanks! I may have to find a different low growing carpet plant if my conditions just aren't right for this one. At the moment can't afford to upgrade my lighting system.

Thanks!

exv152

Quote from: 101DalmatianMollies on May 01, 2016, 09:20:00 PMThe Hemianthus. I'm trying to grow them, but I don't think I'm giving it enough of what it needs. They haven't spread any since I bought them, in fact a few of the clippings have shrunk away and disappeared (died).

Any tips without diving into the world of CO2?

Thanks! I may have to find a different low growing carpet plant if my conditions just aren't right for this one. At the moment can't afford to upgrade my lighting system.

I've grown HC a few times and I found it does best with tons of co2, at least medium light, and ferts. I never had any success growing it without co2 unless you grow it emersed.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

101DalmatianMollies

Ah ok. I have the medium light and the fertilizer, but not the CO2. So perhaps not the best choice for my tank.

I'm completely new to the world of CO2. Not sure how I'd begin to approach it.

exv152

If you fill a rubbermaid container with top soil, and plant the HC in there, spray the soil to make it damp, and put the lid on, then place it under a good light source, it will grow like crazy.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

You have received good advice so far.
What lighting do you have and any other details of your tank such as substrate, size of tank, perhaps a picture?
Regards

neon1423

Quote from: charlie on May 02, 2016, 11:14:33 AM
You have received good advice so far.
What lighting do you have and any other details of your tank such as substrate, size of tank, perhaps a picture?
Regards

Depending on those details, there are lots of options for CO2 and it isn't as scary as you think.

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: neon1423 on May 02, 2016, 01:51:22 PM
Depending on those details, there are lots of options for CO2 and it isn't as scary as you think.

So that's what they look like right now - not very healthy. I went out and bought the API CO2 booster and have done two doses since I bought it (with 24 hours in between)

Tank size: 33 gal
Lighting: fluorescent 2 bulbs at 17W each one full spec, one plant
Substrate: gravel.
Adding in 1ml flourish daily, and have 3 root tabs in the gravel.

Thank you! I think theses guys are probably too far gone, I want to try again, but want to make sure I have everything I need.

charlie

In short your tank conditions is not conducive to growing HC- Light & substrate is way below requirements for this plant.
This would apply to most plants outside of the very undemanding plants, Crypts, Java Fern , anubias etc.
Regards

rivermuse

If you are looking for a carpeting plant and do not want to invest in expensive lights, Pearl Weed aka Baby Tears (NOT dwarf baby tears) is the way to go. However, I'm not sure it will work out in gravel. I have seen this grow even in low-medium lighting. (I have a mix of gravel and fluorite)  If you want to try, I can give bunch of clippings for free, just PM me.

exv152

I find HM (hemianthus micranthemoides aka pearl weed) to grow leggy and not bushy in low light/co2. If you're looking for a ground cover that does really well without co2, I'd recommend one of these, both of which are super easy to grow and they stay small (especially the M.crenata) with med light and no co2. Both are sold in the 1-2 grow pots by tropica.

http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Marsileacrenata(010BTC)/4762

http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Marsileahirsuta(010TC)/4428
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: exv152 on May 04, 2016, 01:40:56 PM
I find HM (hemianthus micranthemoides aka pearl weed) to grow leggy and not bushy in low light/co2. If you're looking for a ground cover that does really well without co2, I'd recommend one of these, both of which are super easy to grow and they stay small (especially the M.crenata) with med light and no co2. Both are sold in the 1-2 grow pots by tropica.

http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Marsileacrenata(010BTC)/4762

http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Marsileahirsuta(010TC)/4428

Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into them for sure! Especially the M.Crenata as it looks like a neat plant.

I will keep you updated! I really want a carpet for my fish. I've been going back and forth about what to do with the substrate, and changing out to just sand was too much I think, but I may have to change to a bit of a soil. Rebuilds are a little scary! :D

lucius

I have some marsilea crenata in my 75 gallon.  I can take a pic tomorrow.  It's not carpeting like in the Tropica links but it's coming along.

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: lucius on May 04, 2016, 09:16:38 PM
I have some marsilea crenata in my 75 gallon.  I can take a pic tomorrow.  It's not carpeting like in the Tropica links but it's coming along.

Yes please! I'd love to see how it's coming :) Thank you!

aciport

Agree with all the others, your tank will not support HC. Of the two Marsilea species, I would suggest M. hirsuta over M. crenata. It is a little less demanding of a plant, but the leaves are a bit larger.

The other suggestion I would have is to use fertilizer with the 1-2-Grows from the beginning of planting. As these plants are juvenile, about a month old, they don't have the nutrient reserves that the potted plants would have, for example. They need the boost from the start.

There will be new 1-2-Grows released in the very near future, so there will much more variety coming in the easy category. Some should start trickling in to stores now. Stay tuned... ;)

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: aciport on May 05, 2016, 01:53:06 PM
Agree with all the others, your tank will not support HC. Of the two Marsilea species, I would suggest M. hirsuta over M. crenata. It is a little less demanding of a plant, but the leaves are a bit larger.

The other suggestion I would have is to use fertilizer with the 1-2-Grows from the beginning of planting. As these plants are juvenile, about a month old, they don't have the nutrient reserves that the potted plants would have, for example. They need the boost from the start.

There will be new 1-2-Grows released in the very near future, so there will much more variety coming in the easy category. Some should start trickling in to stores now. Stay tuned... ;)

I love the insider vibe I'm getting from your post :) I will have to look into the M. hirsuta. Does anyone know where I can get it?

In regards to CO2 - I think in order to get the planted tank I'm looking for, I may need to begin investigating. What do you experienced planters recommend? :)

Thank you!!

daworldisblack

Quote from: 101DalmatianMollies on May 05, 2016, 02:19:35 PM
In regards to CO2 - I think in order to get the planted tank I'm looking for, I may need to begin investigating. What do you experienced planters recommend? :)

Pressurized CO2 all the way! Don't even think about DIY yeast concoctions haha. Get a nice regulator and a good sized co2 tank and you're set.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

lucius

Here are my crenata plants.  I bought two Tropica pots and planted them a few inches apart.  They are in my 75 gallon with liquid CO2, liquid ferts and medium light.

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on May 05, 2016, 04:47:41 PM
Pressurized CO2 all the way! Don't even think about DIY yeast concoctions haha. Get a nice regulator and a good sized co2 tank and you're set.
I could not agree more.
As someone who took the route of trying the cheap approach, coke bottles, sugar & yeast to the cheap  &  expensive off pthe shelf regulator units, it is not worth the time ,money & results.
Don't get me wrong they are some decent offerings out there.
You don't need to spend mega dollars but a bit more than the sub standard offerings available by some manufacturers.

neon1423

Quote from: daworldisblack on May 05, 2016, 04:47:41 PM

Yeah I'm going to support this as well. Jason at Critter Jungle has a good variety of CO2 options and a ton of knowledge to help get you started.

TLe041

CO2 will greatly help, but you will still need to change to a substrate that's geared for plants if you're looking to grow a carpet. They don't do well in gravel.
Tony