New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Long Spine Sea Urchin

Started by 10gnano, September 09, 2010, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

Hey guys/gals,
Just wondering,
My long spined sea urchin has been cleaning my tank for about 3 weeks now. When I bought him some of his spines were white, ( I guess from the stress of moving) he isdoing well bu I have noticed that he has molted some of his spikes. Parameters are fine and he is very active. Just wondering if this is normal for an urchin to loose its spikes

NjOyRiD

mine is loosing some too, and man, hes growing fast!!
arent they cute hehe?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Benja

White/colorless spines are underdeveloped spines.
If your urchin is losing spines(more than a few) it might be from stress... However, if it's traveling a lot that the sign of a healthy urchin.

Vincenzo.

if ur urchin is looking spines, it a sign of it dying.

10gnano

he is very active, even during the day

Bob P

Good to see you're still in the game

Severum

When the long spine urchin in my tank gets stressed he doesn't lose spines. Instead he goes "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre" and shoots his reproduction juices in jet like manner from 5 or 6 spots around his centre.

And apparently he gets stressed VERY easily...  :o
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Rudall

I have a long spined urchin and that is the way he is.  Has many white spines, many black spines.  Been in my tank for over a year now.
I knew a guy in highschool who had a large lock of grey hair amongst his black hair, it's not so unusual.

I would not worry about it at all.

10gnano

just an update.
Spike is alive and well, he still has white spines and has stopped loosing them