New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

feather duster

Started by mtx, October 15, 2010, 04:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtx

Good day,

My feather duster has been emitting some slimy and some brown substances for the past 3 days. I tried to research on it but there is not much information is out there. Can someone tell me what might cause it? Is he spawning?

At first, I thought that my water parameters was turning bad so I did a water 20% change and he was still doing it after. My corals are still looking very good except that they have those slimy things over them.

salvini55

Your corals may be expelling their simbiotic algaes. Have you changed your lighting? Feather dusters aren't photosynthetic so im not sure why it would do that. Perhaps run some fresh carbon will fix things.

mtx

No I haven't changed my lighting. It is not the algae from the coral. I am certain that it comes from the feather duster.

It is a brown string around 4-5 cm (look like 'poop') from the feather duster and that brown string has some transparent slimy thing around it and at the end of it. I checked yesterday and it is still doing it. The feather duster is still expanding and retracting as normal though.

Check my water parameters and everything is fine. Only my Nitrate is a little bit high and I am working on it to get it back to zero (2-3 water change per week - 10-15% of a 6 G tank) All my other soft coral are doing good and expanding. (hammer head, torch, frogspawn)

mtx

quick update...

Well, the feather duster is finally back to normal. However after further inspection, it seem like there is now two head within the same tube... is that possible?

Vincenzo.

from the dusters i use to have, they all had `two`heads, its really just one.