New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

id please

Started by bren_reef, January 20, 2011, 03:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bren_reef

I  think this guy may be responsible for making my clown goby disappear  :(
He"s pretty small though but finally peeked out of a piece of lr at feeeding time. Currently in  a vase

Severum

With a little more lighting it could look like this guy I got out of my tank a few years back. Not a good crab.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Nyx

There's an old rule of thumb with crabs that if it has pointy pincers, they are not reef safe but if the claws are rounded, they are supposed to be algae grazers. But when in doubt, get if out! :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

Vincenzo.

ya it dont look safe, but i would not count on it killing a clown goby.. those gobies need next to perfect conditions to live.

bren_reef

Thanks for all the info everybody. The crab is still alive in isolation--my six yr old wants to keep him but i'm not sure thats going to happen.

The goby had been alive and happy for a couple of years and now gone--i hope it wasn't suicide--if he jumped my cats would have taken care of the evidence.

I have another suspicious crab-- a hermit over an inch in diameter but not a typical hermit--sharp real pinchers. Overall color is grayish green--cant find any comparable pictures of that kind of hermit. I haven't been able to get a picture of him lately. He came in the setup i bought secondhand. I wonder if he's now so big that he's causing problems?

ordi260

Quote from: bren_reef on January 23, 2011, 06:28:51 PM
Thanks for all the info everybody. The crab is still alive in isolation--my six yr old wants to keep him but i'm not sure thats going to happen.

The goby had been alive and happy for a couple of years and now gone--i hope it wasn't suicide--if he jumped my cats would have taken care of the evidence.

I have another suspicious crab-- a hermit over an inch in diameter but not a typical hermit--sharp real pinchers. Overall color is grayish green--cant find any comparable pictures of that kind of hermit. I haven't been able to get a picture of him lately. He came in the setup i bought secondhand. I wonder if he's now so big that he's causing problems?

In doubt, take it out  ;)

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]