New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

flame angel?

Started by lonereefer, February 10, 2011, 08:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonereefer

Just lookingfor info and others experiences with flame angels in reef tanks so please comment and let meknow what you guys and girls know!

redbelly

If you are going to take a risk an an angel, the flame is well worth it imo.

At the end of the day its still an angel so it may be fine in your tank for a year and then decide to nip one day.
But the colors of this fish are just amazing!!!
On the risk vs reward scale, imo this fish is worth the risk.
That being said I dont have one in my tank and I dont plan on having one....

Benja

I have owned a hawaian flame angel for over a year.
No issues.
-Very peaceful
-Has not nipped corals... ever

Severum

A beautiful fish. Mine started nipping at corals. He disappeared myseteriously so at least I didn't have to tear the tank apart to get him out.

Not worth tearing apart a big established tank to get this fish out, bottle and acrylic traps considered.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

bandit

Not a flame angel but I had a bi-color for yrs, He would only really bother button polyps. He wouldn't eat them just nip at the tops and they would close up and open again. The piece was about 6" across so it would not be affected by him. Other corals seem unharmed. IMO the angle was more beautiful then any coral I had and was a real character ;)

Mike62

I read that they are bad for bringing parasitic infestations into the tank. Any opinions? I dont want to repeat my last disaster.
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

bandit

humm never heard that, some will even clean fish.  :-\

Hookup

read this: http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/76-tank-of-the-month
and this: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1956081

Great info from someone who's been keeping angels in reef-tanks for years.  Multiple TOTM winner as well so it's not some hacked apart fish only tank covered in algae and full of crappy dying corals... it's more like a masterpiece... IMO one of the best TOTM ever...

The second link he explains quite a bit about keeping angels in reeftanks.