New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yellow Clown Goby

Started by NanoSF, March 01, 2011, 04:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

At first I thought it was funny that this Goby sits on everything rather than swimming around. Now it is starting to cause problems. It used to sit on my Yellow leather, Favia, and Candy Cane coral, so it didn't cause any problems. Now it has made its favorite spot an Acan. Problem is soon as you touch an Acan it retracts and takes a long time to come out again. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Do you think the Acan will eventually die? It never has time to plump up again because the Goby keeps coming back and sitting on it again. Anyone that has this fish have any suggestions? I guess this is normal behaviour but I wish there was a way to stop it from doing this.

Benja

This is what yellow clown gobies do best.
Put a nice expensive colony of sps in your tank and he will leave your acan be.
Problem solved  ;D

LOL.  I just noticed.  How appropriate is my avatar?

NanoSF

LOL. Yes sure is a fitting avatar. Did your SPS survive being a couch?

Benja

Didn't wait long enough to find out.
I extracted the little bugger when he was in a dopey trance.
I suspect you need a fair sized sps colony to accommodate one of these guys.

bandit

Mine hangs out on a couple sps frags I have and moves back and forth from sps to monti cap to toadstool to finger leather to hammer. I personally wouldnt worry about it, the coral will more then likely get used to him mine did and they are great. He actually protects one of my sps from my filefish.

NanoSF

I hope so. My Acan has just been looking very unhappy for a while now. I don't get to see the colours pop anymore either with it all closed up. Maybe the Goby will move onto some other favorite coral soon.