New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

High fin goby

Started by rambomotim, June 18, 2011, 07:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambomotim

Hello. I bought myself a high fin goby and a pistol shrimp today.
AS soon as they went in, my shrimp darted to soem rocks, and begun to dig.
My goby, however, shot to the back corner, and decided to hide under some rocks. I can't see him there, and he hasn't moved out since. Just wondering if he'll always be this shy?
Ty in advance.

Thunda

Our little watchmen goby is fairly shy little fellow as well.  Though we see him a fair bit guarding the entrance to one of a couple tunnels that pistol shrimp has dug.  They are never far from each other in our tank.  First day or two they were both hiding out but now seem more comfortable and have set up a couple different lairs :)

rambomotim

Thats good to know. Should I add food in tonight, or in a few days? The two of them still haven't met up yet (grrrrrrrr)

dan2x38

If you feed them at night you train them to wait until night to come out to eat... ;) I had a blue/pink gobie with a tiger pistol shrimp they buddied up after a day. Once the shrimp had a burrow the gobie came to defend it. When I feed the tank he came to eat and the shrimp would pop out to sticking close to the shrimp.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

NanoSF

It can take a while for them to pair up. Mine took 3 days I think, but then again I couldn't see the shrimp for three days so maybe he was with the goby the whole time. Most fish are shy at first in a new tank. It can take some fish weeks to stop hiding. Most of these watchman style gobies don't do much else but watch the caves. So don't expect to see it swimming around the tank much at all.

rambomotim

I hadn't expected it to anyway. But this morning, the goby was gone, and the shrimps cave entrance was much bigger. I know the shrimp is still fine because of the snapping, but the goby is now where to be found. Is it possible they met up in the night and are hiding together?

NanoSF

If you can see the cave and you don't see the Goby they are likely not together yet. The Goby should be outside the cave a bit. But I guess it is possible they are both inside it since the Goby would still be nervous. I think the Goby is still hiding somewhere else. It just takes time.

az

could be inside the cave too nothing uncommon, as long it didnt jump!
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Thunda

we bought a pistol shrimp & a goby from AZ the other day for our 125 gal tank.

they are very good hiders since we have yet to see them, after they made an unsuccessful attempt of making a home under a sleeping Turbo Snail. We hear the pistol shrimp every now and then when he snaps.

But don't worry, they will soon find each other & buddy up. :)

-Lisa