New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Alternatives to goldies

Started by Laura, May 15, 2008, 11:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

I may be getting a small pond this summer and am considering what to put in it.  My goal is to make as little work for myself over-wintering critters as possible.

Is there any reason why folks don't use rosy red minnows in ponds?  From my reading, they are a golden colour so visible in a dark coloured pond, stay relatively small and can handle temps down to about 10 degrees.  They're a native NA species so should be able to handle more severe temps.

Any feedback would be welcome.  Also, I've seen some references to not needing to overwinter fish indoors in 24" deep ponds - can people expand on this - do you just use a floating heater to keep a hole open in the ice?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

SouthR

Laura

I have had rosies in my pond for the last two years. They over winter and breeder, good food for the larger koi, and also they keep the bugs down to a low level.

Richard

Sue

Did the rosy reds overwinter outside OK?

A fish that is easy to overwinter inside is white cloud mountain minnow (gold variety looks nicer in pond).

The Pond Boy

Hi Laura,

If you have a pond, preferable 24" deep, all fish can and most will survive the winter. You need at least to have a heater to keep a hole in the ice and preferable is also a airstone. I have a client who have a 14" deep pond and their koi between 14-16" are surviving for years. Most types of goldfish and kois survive the winter easy in a pond. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me an email at or reply at this forum.
Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy
www.thepondboy.com

Laura

Thanks Richard, Sue and Greg for the replies.
Sue - I like white clouds and was considering them, but would like something I could have outside for longer (or hopefully year-round).  From my reading, white clouds are good to about 15 degrees, but rosy reds can go lower.

Richard - good to know you've had success over-wintering outside. That would be my eventual goal. 

Greg - thanks for the feedback.  I've heard about using a bubbler, but thought that may have brought up the warmer water at the bottom of the pond up to the top, thereby cooling it all.  Have you used rosy reds in any ponds too?  I like the idea as they're small, and I'm guessing the pond I'm being given is likely less than 100 gallons so I want something with a low bioload.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

estuary

what about a bait shop pick up some minnows

Laura

From my reading, they're the same species (fathead minnow) - it's just the rosy reds would show up bettter.

They seem interesting - the males actually guard the eggs!
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

estuary

baitshops sell several diferent types eg suckers, darters, dance
darters and dance are also a nice looking minnow

Laura

Hey thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware that they sold a variety of fish.  I saw some pics of dace and they look nice.  I'll need to go and snoop at a baitshop now - any suggestions as to ones with best stock of fish?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

beowulf

I considered them also for my pond.  I would just make sure to try and pick the healthiest ones possible as they are kept as feeders in most stores.

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Be cautious on using minnows I  bought some and they jumped out or died young, remeber there breed for quantity not quality