New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Kensfish.com

Started by daworldisblack, November 07, 2012, 11:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

Was looking through and looks like they have awesome prices - some things I saw made me feel jibbed by all the other places where I bought them! Was wondering if anyone has bought supplies from this site and what the experience was? Would be interested in putting an order together either to get it shipped in or for pick up in Ogdensburg - free shipping to the border for over $100 worth of items and I figure we can just split on gas money and pay whoever goes to pick the package up. Also not sure if one needs to pay for duty at customs or just HST - limit has gone up to $200/day no? Thoughts and comments are welcome :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Ken is a great guy, he is a fixture @ the OHIO cichlid & catfish extrav. in a couple of weeks, the guys always pick up stuff from him when they are there.
I`ll browse his sight & see if i need anything.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: daworldisblack on November 07, 2012, 11:03:18 AMAlso not sure if one needs to pay for duty at customs or just HST - limit has gone up to $200/day no? Thoughts and comments are welcome :)

Nice find Rah! Yeah duty and HST are collected at the same time. But duty only applies to products you're bringing into Canada that were not made in NA (Can, US and Mexico). For a period less than 24 hours, there are no exemptions, 24-48 hrs there's a $200 limit, and $800 over 48hrs.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

FishBuddy

We just did a group order in August with Kens Fish.  Really good company to deal with.  Free shipping is a bonus.  When I brought the stuff across the border, only HST was collected.  The funniest thing is having to explain to the Customs officer why I have over 20 lbs of fish food with me as I don't own a fish store.  Also, that 10lbs bucket of Clormax (white powder) didn't help much either :)  I ordered around $400 worth of stuff.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

new_hobby

I am ready to join this group order too. At the moment I think I would order at least $60 of fish food. Let me know. Thanks.

daworldisblack

Cool! I think I am def down for a group order based on the info you guys provided then. Let me know who else is interested? We could post our orders here. We need a volunteer (or more) to pick it up and the rest of us can chip in on gas money. I'd say pro-rate to how much you spent. So if I have a $100 order i'd pay $100/Total order amount X Gas money. Tax is obviously 13% so that would have to be paid too.

FishBuddy, how much did gas cost ya for a trip down and back? Guess it also depends on the type of car but we could get a rough estimate.

Savings per item is alot ( some items i see are at 1/3 of retail prices!) so even after chipping in on gas and HST, savings can be substantial. Of course, the more people in the group buy, the more people we have to split the cost of gas with and thats the whole point of this group order ! :)

Quote from: exv152 on November 07, 2012, 11:51:45 AM
But duty only applies to products you're bringing into Canada that were not made in NA (Can, US and Mexico). For a period less than 24 hours, there are no exemptions, 24-48 hrs there's a $200 limit, and $800 over 48hrs.

Quote from: FishBuddy on November 07, 2012, 07:06:04 PM
When I brought the stuff across the border, only HST was collected.

Quote from: charlie on November 07, 2012, 11:17:47 AM
Ken is a great guy, he is a fixture @ the OHIO cichlid & catfish extrav.

flyingpancake

Where in Ogensburg would the pick up be? 

FishBuddy

Quote from: daworldisblack on November 08, 2012, 11:21:50 AM
Cool! I think I am def down for a group order based on the info you guys provided then. Let me know who else is interested? We could post our orders here. We need a volunteer (or more) to pick it up and the rest of us can chip in on gas money. I'd say pro-rate to how much you spent. So if I have a $100 order i'd pay $100/Total order amount X Gas money. Tax is obviously 13% so that would have to be paid too.

FishBuddy, how much did gas cost ya for a trip down and back? Guess it also depends on the type of car but we could get a rough estimate.

Savings per item is alot ( some items i see are at 1/3 of retail prices!) so even after chipping in on gas and HST, savings can be substantial. Of course, the more people in the group buy, the more people we have to split the cost of gas with and thats the whole point of this group order ! :)

It took me 40mins to get there.  The warehouse that does the receiving is right after crossing the international bridge; so it's really close.  I ended up filling my car there too so I saved a lot as well....  If you are setting up an order, I might be interested in getting some stuff too.

[/li]

FishBuddy

Quote from: flyingpancake on November 08, 2012, 05:47:02 PM
Where in Ogensburg would the pick up be?  

This is where I pick up my stuff from the US.  They open on Saturday as well so it's great.

http://myusaddress.ca/

[/li]

daworldisblack

Quote from: FishBuddy on November 08, 2012, 07:00:00 PM
It took me 40mins to get there.  The warehouse that does the receiving is right after crossing the international bridge; so it's really close.  I ended up filling my car there too so I saved a lot as well....  If you are setting up an order, I might be interested in getting some stuff too.

Which location did you use? I'm looking at 228 Ford Street ( http://shippingtoogdensburg.com/pricing). Previously we have used the UPS store too (http://www2.theupsstorelocal.com/2946/community.htm).

daworldisblack

Quote from: FishBuddy on November 08, 2012, 07:02:14 PM
This is where I pick up my stuff from the US.  They open on Saturday as well so it's great.

http://myusaddress.ca/

Hmm looks like the UPS store is 5 more mins down the road. Only an issue if the group order weight is big enough. UPS seems to have better rates.

FishBuddy

Quote from: daworldisblack on November 08, 2012, 07:11:52 PM
Hmm looks like the UPS store is 5 more mins down the road. Only an issue if the group order weight is big enough. UPS seems to have better rates.

That Ford St. one looks attractive and they open on Sunday too so I might switch to that someday.  I just picked one that's closest to the border at the time.  Of course, I only been there once.  Also, charging $5 per package up to 100lbs is very attractive at the Ford St. place.  Most other places charges $10 or $20 for packages over 20 lbs so we should consider this.

[/li]

Fishnut

So is the order on?  When's the deadline?

daworldisblack

Order is definitely on if there is interest. So far there is a handful of us it seems. Also looking for a volunteer(s) for pick up as I dont drive nor can I enter the states (International Student :p) but I'd gladly coordinate everything else!

Fishnut

I'm in for about $50 worth of stuff, but I can't go pick anything up.

tigger

I also have items I would like to order from Kensfish.com. I volunteer to go pick up with FishBuddy's help. Perhaps those interested in joining in the group order can post the items they want (please supply link to the item from Kensfish.com) and the quantity please.

thx
David

daworldisblack

Awesome sauce! I think we got enough interest to get an order in. If we're aiming for a weekend pick up, I'd say orders in by a Wednesday. If this wednesday is too soon, we can extend it to the next. I'm basing this off of the delivery map:

Takes 2 days to the pick-up point it says but including an extra day just in case. Decided on which Ford St. Location?  228 Ford Street looks like the best option. I'd say payment in advance, pick-up guys can drop the goods off at my place and everyone can come to my place (I am probably most flexible for pick-up times since I am home all day on weekdays), I pay Gas (may be a toll in there too?) money to whomever paid for it and then the rest can pay me their portion of the gas money when they come pick up their goods. Hows that sound?

FishBuddy

Ken's Fish delivers pretty quick.  The last time we placed an order, it arrived in Ogdensburg within 5 days so no worry there. 

Yes, I am in for some stuff too; probably around $100 or so worth of stuff.  And I'll be going with tigger to pick them up (as mentioned above).

[/li]

new_hobby

Sounds good. Don't forget to factor in the exchange rate since CAN dollar is less than US dollar now, plus the bank charge if you use credit card to pay in US fund.

exv152

Don't forget there's a 5% state sales tax in Massachusetts.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g