New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DYI canister filter skimmer

Started by 1macuser, November 16, 2012, 08:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1macuser

Hi all,

Not sure if this DYI has been posted before or not?  But it sure works like a dream.

For those that have oily residue on top of water this is a quick 5 minutes fix that cost about $30
All that is required is the following:

1 - compression T connector
1 - 90° compression elbow
A bit of pipping to fit

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=5338

HappyGuppy

I completely do not understand.  

Is this a surface skimmer?  For saltwater?  How do you run it?

Darth

Quote from: HappyGuppy on November 16, 2012, 10:18:30 PM
I completely do not understand.  

Is this a surface skimmer?  For saltwater?  How do you run it?
this is for freshwater, and I would assume that more surface agitation would also stop this as well, as there would be more movement I would believe

1macuser

Yes it is for freshwater.

I have lots of water movement in the tank as I'm running a Marinland C360 canister filter in a 90 gal tank and also have 2 hydro circulation pumps running on a timer. I do regular maintenance with 20% water changes and all parameters are bang on, but for sore reason I was still getting the oily skim on the top.

The set up is running off the intake from the canister. Since setting it up the top is crystal clear.
I'll upload another picture showing more.

HappyGuppy

Have you ever considered putting in some floating plant (other than duckweed of course)?  Some water lettuce is incredible (I'd stand on a soapbox praising it's virtues) or floating watersprite would be my second choice.  In all my years of planted tanks, feeding extremely heavily, I never had that oily top (only had it before becoming a plant guy, and also since coming to salt side).

1macuser

Thanks for the info on plants. I am however not a huge plant guy in my tank.
I do have an Anubis plant in the tank this is of good size.
The majority of cichlids will make a mess of plants so I like keeping the tank clean.

Darth

LOL yes cichlids are the interior decorators from hell, if you can show how the setup looks on your tank ( I don't keep freshwater ) I am sure there are lots of others would be interersted in seeing it in action

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!