New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Giant Auction 2014 - AQUAMANIA

Started by fischkopp, March 10, 2014, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

Our annual
Giant Auction
will be held in conjunction with the
Aquamania
at the
Travelodge Hotel and Conference Centre (1376 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1Z 7L5)
on
Sunday April 6th.

Everyone is welcome! An OVAS club membership is not required to attend the auction as buyer or seller.  

Auction schedule

Item registration and viewing starts at 9:00am.
All items to be auctioned off must be registered by 10:30am.
No new items will be accepted after 10:30am. We encourage anyone to pre-register items online.
The auction will start at 11:00am sharp.

We are planning 15 min breaks every 90min depending on auction progress.
The auction will close once the last item is auctioned off. The duration will depend on the number of items registered. Traditionally we are going through ~1000 items within 6 hours.
Please allow 15min processing time after closing after which we will pay out the vendors.

General auction information

All items will be assigned a random table number during registration. OVAS will provide labels for all pre-registered items to all vendors. The vendors will hand all labeled items to the OVAS staff to be placed on the proper table in the viewing area. The tables are then auctioned off in random order, which we will draw at the beginning of the auction.

The starting bid for each item is $2 unless a minimum starting bid is indicated on the label. We encourage everyone to keep their arms raised if they intend to bid on an item in order to speed up the entire auction. The highest bidder will win the bid. Any won bid must be claimed and paid immediately by the bidder. We accept cash payment only.

You have the option to prioritize items if you wish to bid or auction off items at the start of the auction, or at any time during the auction. There is a fee of $1 per item, which must be paid before the item is prioritized.

Item registration and auction rules

This is an all-aquatic auction for fresh- and saltwater livestock like fish, plants and invertebrates (corals, shrimp, molluscs) as well as aquatic dry goods in new or used good condition. However, the items listed hereafter are not permitted at the auction:

• Used heaters and air pumps
  • Used light bulbs of any kind
  • Used airline tubing
  • Plastic plants
Any registered item listed above will be automatically removed from the auction list.

We encourage you to use our online registration

In the event that you have problems with the online registration you can download and fill out our registration form and email it to . These forms will also be available as printout at the auction day during item registration.

OVAS will provide pre-printed labels for each item during the registration period before the auction. The vendor assures to provide the correct description for each item. Correct item labeling is the vendor's responsibility as well.

Please provide the following information during registration:

• Item description
  • For hardware only: new or used
  • Minimum bid (optional) – if you prefer a starting bid higher than $2. See rules below.
  • Priority item (optional) – for items to be auctioned off at the beginning. $1/item surcharge applies.
  • OVAS donation (optional) – the club receives 100% commission for this item.

The following rules apply for item registration and auction:

• The pre-registration deadline is 8pm Saturday April 5th.
  • Any pre-registered item will be charged 25% commission.
  • Items registered after the pre-registration deadline will be charged 40% commission. OVAS members will be charged 32.5% commission. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • The maximum limit for identical items is 3. Please group your items accordingly.
  • You can register more than 3 identical items if you chose to donate these items to the club. Please indicate this during registration, or we will automatically remove any item that exceeds the maximum limit.
  • Each single vendor is allowed to register a total maximum of 100 items.
  • OVAS will keep a handling charge for any unsold item of:

• $1.00 for any regular listed item that did not sell.
    • $2.00 for any unsold item with a minimum bid of up to $20.
    • 10% of minimum bid for any unsold item with a minimum bid higher than $20.
  • Any un-sold item must be claimed by the owner at the end of the auction. Un-claimed items become property of OVAS.
  • OVAS will keep a handling charge of $1 for each pre-registered item that is not registered and/or entered at the auction. Please return any item label that is not being used to the auction registration immediately!  We allow a maximum of 5 missing items (or 10% of total items registered, whatever is higher) at the auction. Any additional missing items will be charged a handling fee. This rule is meant to overcome excessive registrations; keep in mind that we will be preparing labels for you.
  • All fish/livestock MUST be packaged appropriately. See below.
  • Once an item is registered and placed in the auction it may not be removed.

You will receive 1 free raffle ticket for any started lot of 10 registered items. This means, if you register a total of 23 items, you will receive 3 raffle tickets, for a total of 7 items you would receive 1 ticket.

To encourage pre-registration you will be awarded 2 additional raffle tickets if your register your items (at least 75%) before Wednesday April 2nd midnight 11:59pm.

Additional information

Item identification
OVAS will provide labels with a short description entered during registration. The vendor can add additional label to further highlight the item and provide additional information for the seller. In many cases this also helps to sell an item better. Please apply the labels clearly visible on each item.

Item Packaging and Presentation
Please package your items carefully! Pails can break; bags can break – just to mention a few possibilities. Keep in mind that clean items will be more desirable.

All fish and livestock placed in the auction MUST be packaged appropriately. Please refer to the bagging instructions on our website.

• Fish bags are the preferred method.
  • Closed glass jars are accepted, but should be avoided for safety reasons.
  • Closed plastic buckets may be used for bigger fish.
  • Any bag/container must be sized appropriately.
  • Clearly diseased or deformed fish will not be accepted at the auction.
  • No native fish or protected species may be sold at the auction.
  • OVAS reserves the right to refuse any item that we consider not properly packaged.

So please: do not show up with open jars and fish in questionable condition. Keep in mind that these guidelines are in the best interest if the fish. Proper bagging is essential to avoid any further stress on the fish; improper bagging can lead to death even before the fish is auctioned off. Always ask yourself if you would be willing to buy the fish/item that you are bringing to the auction.

A bagging station will be available for you in case of emergency. The cost is $1 per bag, paid in advance to the bagger.

Vendor payment
Please see the auction chair 15 minutes after the auction to be cashed out.  You will be provided a receipt, which you will first check, then sign and take to the Treasurer for payment.

If you are unable to stay to the end of the auction please contact the auction chair. You will be mailed a check within 14 days at a cost of $1.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

fischkopp

If you have any further question please feel free to contact me or post it here.

Robert Hemp
OVAS Auction Chair
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

fishmonger

I have a number of Endler Guppies Im thinking of donating to the auction, nice fish, breeding too rapidly for my tank.  I only have plastic (yogurt) tubs to transport them with, will the group be willing to provide bags and airation for them in exchange for me donating them to the auction?  I was thinking of 5 bags with 5 fish in each? (possibly more) I can transport 5 plastic containers...

robt18

A couple of options for you...

If you're at an LFS in the next few weeks, they'll usually give you a few extra bags that you can bring them in.

If you're not, yogurt tubs are ok, but I would make sure you eat all the yogurt first  ;D

Cool tip: write what's inside on the lid and "take a look!" or something along those lines, so during the viewing time people aren't either afraid to open your lots and take a look, and also so they know there's water inside.

Shawn84

Just go to any of the local sponsor and ask for some bag. Im sure they don't mind giving you some. Make sure no feeding your fish 1 day prior to the auction.

A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

fischkopp

Containers like yoghurt cups (with and without lid) are generally not permitted in the auction. The risk of spilling is too high.

Since you are planning to donate the fish we can offer you to bag the fish before the auction. However, we would like to encourage you to bring the fish already bagged since the time before the auction starts is usually very hectic. As robt18 pointed out, most LFS will be happy to hand you a couple of bags if you ask them.
my fish suck

Philnashbass

Any number of high quality boxes of freezer bags can be bought at the grocery store for a couple of dollars
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

limed

proper bagging should be 2/3 air and 1/3 water so the fish will have enough air surface.
Tape the corners or double bag for the fish don't get stuck in the corners. The bag should be big
enough for the amount of fish that are in it. Remember bags losses air and the fish get stuck when
a lot of handling at the auction from buyers. Do not blow air from your mouth into the bag C02.
  .  Don't feed your fish 24 hours before bagging.  Big containers or buckets are good for big fish.
For plants, you don't need much water, just enough to keep them moist.
  Remember these fish will be going to other people, survival of the fish will improve if bagged correctly.
Fish will be in these bags for 8 hours or more.

Ed

charlie

Quote from: fishmonger on March 11, 2014, 09:33:51 PM
I have a number of Endler Guppies Im thinking of donating to the auction, nice fish, breeding too rapidly for my tank.  I only have plastic (yogurt) tubs to transport them with, will the group be willing to provide bags and airation for them in exchange for me donating them to the auction?  I was thinking of 5 bags with 5 fish in each? (possibly more) I can transport 5 plastic containers...
Personally  I think your offering & request is quite reasonable, after all you are DONATING the fish to the club, which means the club benefits from the proceeds, it should be only fair that the club be accommodating & bag the fish up for free.
At least that is what I got from your post.
Kudos to you Karen for both volunteering & donating the fish to the club.
Errol

fischkopp

The item registration for the Giant Auction is now online.

We updated the format for this year. You can now register as seller and use your login to view and manage your registration at any time before the auction. Please let us know if you experience any issues.

Keep in mind:

• the early bird deadline is April 2nd 23:59:00 - this one will earn you extra raffle tickets
  • the pre-registration deadline is April 5th 20:00:00 - any item registered after this deadline will be charged late commision

my fish suck

fischkopp

One week left for early bird registration!

You can preview already registered items here.
my fish suck

fishmonger

Thanks for all the great advice!  Ill try to get bags ahead of time and bring the fish in them, otherwise Ill put them into "lots" in the (empty LOL) yogurt tubs and maybe someone could repack them.  Im always early on auction day as theres always uses for another pair of hands.

Looking forward to it, someone let me know what time your want me to show up.

thundertt3

Hi
What is the parking situation for attending on the Sunday? Is the parking free and an easy access?
Thanks
Ken

ajm1961

Yes, parking is free. There is a double garage on the left side of the hotel. There is also a back door for entry. I think there is about 200 spaces. A lot of side streets as well.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

fishmonger

Just a couple of tips for making life easier at the auction

bring lots of small bills, loonies and toonies, with lots of things to buy on auction day, it really helps the cashiers/ food vendors speed things along when exact payment is available, and reduces the challenges when they dont have to worry about running out of "small bills"

Bring carry bags, boxes or totes to store your purchases safely and facilitate getting them home, from experience I can say juggling fish is no fun for the buyer or the fish!  :)

Finally, bring a smile and your patience, it is a fun day, but it's a long day for the shoppers and a really long weekend for the kind folk who organise this event, there's always challenges and they make it look easy, but from someone who's attended and assisted at a few of these auctions I can tell you, it aint easy!

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday, Ill be one of your friendly raffle ticket sellers!

thundertt3

Thanks for answering my question re parking.
Just one more question...are the items up for auction presented (for auctioning) according to the registration # ? ie:  item #1 followed by item #2, etc? Or are they randomly selected?
Thanks
Ken

robt18

All of the lots are placed on numbered tables in NON-NUMERICAL order.  The items are then auctioned each table, the tables are done in numerical order. So during the viewing time, when you find an item you like, write down the table number and the lot number so you're ready for it!

My typical sheet looks like

|| Table Number || Item numbers || Description || What I'm willing to pay for it ||

Grouping the items you're interested in by table number is the easiest way to make sure you can find them when they're up for auction.

fischkopp

One correction : the table order is being randomized as well. We will provide the order on the day of the auction.
my fish suck

sanny

Got a question about the auction, are we supose to bid on the item sitting on chairs, or are the items on the table and we pick what we want to buy?

thundertt3

Thanks...
I was hoping that the auction went by item # as I have a list of those items I am interested in. Guess now I will have to arrive a lot earlier to scout them out to see which table # they are on. About how long does a table of items last before moving on to the next table and does each table have the same # of items to auction off?
Thanks
Ken

Stussi613

Sanny,

You sit in your chair and the items are presented at the front of the room.  When you are bidding you put your hand up and keep it up until the price is higher than you want to pay.  If you put your hand down and then back up your bid will not be accepted.

This year people will not be allowed to take any bags out of the table area for any reason, even if it is the persons item, as we had some thefts of high value items last year which cost the club money out of our program funds since we had to pay the reserve price for the items to the sellers when the auction was over an the items weren't there.

Ken,

You have the option of viewing and putting the item number on your sheet while the viewing period is on (from 9-11 and then on breaks) and any auction attendee can pay the fee to prioritize the items they wish to move up in the auction.  I believe the cost is $1 per item (Robert can confirm) and allot of people who want to move things up just account for it in the price they are willing to pay for the item if they can't attend all day.

Stuart
I haz reef tanks.

fishmonger

Was another Super auction today, thanks to all who go to such exhaustive efforts to make it a great event every year, after you all rest up, give yourselves and each other bit pats on the backs for a job well done!

missavgp

Seconded! The auction was awesome. There was a lot of great stuff to be had and auction staff deserves a big thank you and round of applause for a job well done. Thanks for a great AquaMania.  :)
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

daworldisblack

It was a great event this year guys. Great job!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Laura

Fantastic event - well organized as always. Thanks to all the volunteers!!!
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

ajm1961

Wow, what a rush! Can't believe it's all done, after months of preparation.
I can't say enough about all the support we had down the stretch.
Thanks to our executive and our members for making this a reality.
Thanks to our volunteers who did a great job in helping out, you were the wind beneath our wings.
Thanks to the fantastic support and generosity from our sponsors.
Thanks to all of you who participated and enjoyed the ride with us.
You made it all worth while - and we appreciate your feedback!

I look forward to next year's event,
regards,
Andre

Got Fish?

How many people through the doors on Saturday Andre? ??

ajm1961

fischkopp

Thanks for everyone who came out on Sunday for the Giant Auction!

We had over 700 items, including many donations from Cobalt Aquatics, Zoo Med, Fluval, Seachem, Aquascape Canada, Aquavalley and from you fellow OVAS members. THANK YOU!
Overall, the range of items was pretty balanced this year, with an equal amount of hardware/goods, fish/inverts and plant bags. Most items went for pretty fair prices as well, for both buyer and seller. We did not have too many $2 items.

Another big THANK YOU goes to all the volunteers that helped us running the show quite smoothly. You did a great job introducing everyone,  moving the items, auctioning them off, and process the payout! We could not have done it without you!

And the last BIG THANK YOU goes to each and everyone who came to the auction and brought items, shopped for new things or just came by to have a good time. It's you who made this even a success!

A special thanks goes to our friends from SAM, Société d'aquariophilie de Montréal, who joined us again this year and brought some interesting items that are not so common in town!

Please feel free to drop any comments you have about the auction.
Hope to see you again next year!

Robert Hemp
OVAS Auction Chair

my fish suck

zenins

I had a great time last year and was sorry I had to miss it this year, may be I can make it again next year ;)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards