New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

In wall tank project update

Started by gmann, April 05, 2007, 12:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmann

Started the project when DW left on her cruise March26th.The tank will be viewed from the living room as an in wall tank and from the dining room it will be on a stand. I had the tank custom built by NAFB in TO.Picked that up in early March while on a fish trip with Steve.(will post about that trip later) Thanks for the storage steve.

Dimensions are 46x18x21. Living room view of the tank has starphire glass. I have some amazingly talented friends who are good with tools.me NOT so much. I am a good foreman though and I did supply beer. I cant thank Ron enough. Also big thanks to Duane, Steve(for drinking my beer), Jori, Trevor and Rene.

The tank was placed on the existing half wall and I extended the stand into the dining(about 12.5"). I now have two days or until 10pm Friday night to get the filters, rocks, fish etc all transfered.

My wife has NO clue I have done this while she is away.  :D

I am quite happy with the result so far but I would have preferred to stain rather than paint. I should have given that more thought. I will post more pics as I make more progress. I need to go and paint the frame that will go around the living room side.

sorry folks pics to follow. had the film camera pics processed onto a cd but the files are too large and I can't seem to be able to reduce them at home ???

babblefish1960

This sounds so much like a Debbie Travis show, I hope you pull it off alright, because if she doesn't like it, she'll not leave you home without a sitter ever again. ;)

Look forward to the pictures, and of course the reveal when 10 pm Friday rolls around and you find out what she really thinks of your hard work.

Good luck with that, and I hope it is a grand success.

nissannx

open the picture file in paint click save as jpeg. it automatically shrinks it for you

darkdep

Wow!  What a great project, I can't believe you did this without telling your wife!  I would be road pizza.

Please let us know how she reacts :)

groan

Gmann may need room and board when she returns...can someone offer some assistance?

hamstercaster

I have a spare room and my sister in law is a nurse... lol

BigDaddy

Oh.. come now.  Everyone here must know the OVAS mantra by now:

"It is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission"

;D

dsylvak

Gmann,

Would love to see pictures of this project.

For all you shutterbugs out there; may I suggest you download Picasa2. This is a free download offered by Google; and enables one to view; edit and share digital pictures. Very user friendly and simple to use. 

I email edited pictures to myself and these are automatically resized which allows me to post the same to websites and mail to my friends. Great for posting here too!

keith

gmann

here are some pics. if you dont hear from me by Saturday night... I will resort to Plan B: stand becomes a dry bar ! ;D  will post more when completed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

darkdep

gmann

CHRIS, I thought the same thing when I put the tank on the stand.  :o Will she figure out that this tank is bigger than the 40g? ;) I have to get that out of the house before 10pm when I go pick her up in Montreal. I may need some storage. I did joke that it could become my first Gecko/lizard tank. ;D

beowulf

I think it looks good, pink is not my color but other then that looks really nice.  I thought she was aware of your plan to do this?

gmann

PINK ? must be the film or lighting..its more of a browny, mushroom colour. It blends in with the wall nicely though. like I mentioned earlier i should have taken more time on colour decision.. as for her knowing, no she does not know. However we had a discusion about the 40g going on the wall but when I measured it it was to long. So because I did not get a negative response to that I ASSUMED that I was in the clear for this project which I have been planning for sometime now.

beowulf

Maybe it's my monitor at work but it looks pink lol

babblefish1960

It looks really well done gmann, that should appease her somewhat to know you made an effort to blend it in well. Here's hoping she loves it. What is the shape of your 40 that you need to hide? I'm sure someone should have room to stash it by then.

And the picture looks a little pink to me as well, but that might just be my feminine side speaking. ;)

gmann

Does anyone have a huge picture of Tom Seleck ? I can hang that on the right hand side and all will be forgiven. She wont even see the tank. We may even use this room more often.  :D

RoxyDog

looks good, can't wait to see the finished product!  she'll be fine with it as long as she doesn't have to A) clean it B) pay for it C) ok...you're dead.  :P
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

bitterman

Quote from: gmann on April 05, 2007, 12:38:24 PM
PINK ? must be the film or lighting..its more of a browny, mushroom colour. It blends in with the wall nicely though. like I mentioned earlier i should have taken more time on colour decision.. as for her knowing, no she does not know. However we had a discusion about the 40g going on the wall but when I measured it it was to long. So because I did not get a negative response to that I ASSUMED that I was in the clear for this project which I have been planning for sometime now.

Some times it is easier to beg for forgiveness then ask permission :D

Looking very nice by the way!!
    Bruce

artw

Looking good Gman.. Homeshow entry 2007? :D

PaleoFishGirl

You are either very brave or very, um... well, let's just go with brave.
It looks fantastic, though.  Am I correct in assuming that the hole in the wall was there anyway? Why not put a tank in it!

Are you hiding the filters off to the side in the cabinet, or what did you decide to do?

hamstercaster

That looks fantastic.  I have a hole like that at home between the living room and kitchen.. except that it's about 8 feet long lol... I don't know if a project like this would make it through with my CEO... lol..

Very good job, post pictures of the finished project.. if you're still alive by then lol

charlie

Well done gmann, the finished product should look great, as well as adding value to the house  ;), try that line with the wife  :).
Regards

dsylvak

Wow

What a concept. Absolutely love it..  I have that space too between the kitchen and the living room; but I don`t think I would be able to accomplish the same.

A gutsy move too; you like to live dangerously; gotta love the `tude.

Keep us posted n Happy Easter!

k

gmann

Thanks everone... I am really excited to say the least cant wait to get the fish in the tank.. probably tomororow or maybe tonight.

hamsetrcaster I am glad I didnt have that much space because I would have been tempted to have gone bigger.

PFG, hhmmm that is a tough one. I will go with brave but most would say something that is not so complimentary.  I am going with my gutt feeling she will love it. The tank will have her favorite fish, Demasoni and then the picture of Tom Selleck to the side. She is so lucky.

Yes the hoses will be hidden to the right but the filter will be under the tank. The space to the left of the tank may eventually get covered as well to hide  hoses coming from the side of the stand. Right now I will place 1 404 and use a maxijet 1200. I plan to do water changes every 5-7 days so hopefully I can get away with that. I tried to fit an fx5 under the stand but it was too big.  My other option is to get an internal filter at some point.

groan

Pink, and dead...

Looks good though! you will leave behind a great legacy.
:'(

ok, i N-V you.

gmann

ok its NOT pink  :P! its uuhhh, FAWN BEIGE. yah thats right, FAWN BEIGE with a little more brown added. ;D  I am off to find a pic of Tom and a nice silk plant to hang over the top of the right side.

RedFish

Wow that looks gorgeous - very very well done!   What a great feature wall it will be!

hamstercaster

Quote from: gmann on April 05, 2007, 02:24:53 PM
ok its NOT pink  :P! its uuhhh, FAWN BEIGE. yah thats right, FAWN BEIGE with a little more brown added. ;D  I am off to find a pic of Tom and a nice silk plant to hang over the top of the right side.

Well it does look pinkish from here but I believe you when you say Fawn Beige    :D  But trust me on this, your wife will not have the same color definition that you have lol... I know that me and my wife always argue on color scheme on anything from couch to cars lol... It usually goes like this..

Me:  Wow, that's a nice purple
Her:  No it's not, it's Lilac

Me:  That's a nice Burgundy
Her:  No that's a nice Washington Bing Cherry Red

Me:  That's a nice orange
Her:.. well you get the drift lol

babblefish1960

Quote from: gmann on April 05, 2007, 02:24:53 PM

Well...when you go to pick out the silk plant, make sure you get some leaves that carry the pink theme across, that way it will look well planned, apart from that, if you get a picture of Tom Selleck wearing blue jeans and a blue shirt, you may find that it will complement the pink stand and all should be well.

Here is hoping your gut feeling is reasonably accurate, lest your guts get used for garters for getting it wrong. They never look so good lying on the floor in front of you, and of course, they're pink too! ;D

PaleoFishGirl

gmann

I need that pic !  ;D  I am having so much fun with this. Thanks everyone for making me laugh.

BigDaddy

And the pink shirt matches the rest of the theme to boot!  ;D

darkdep

Looks great!!

You are still SO dead.

gmann

well thanks to PFG I feel very confident that all will be ok. Tom is in black and white so that will have to do. Now to make a quick frame for the pic. ;)  thanks again PFG.

PaleoFishGirl

I hope your wife's name is Shirley... it's signed ::)

darkdep

I can't believe you found that pic PFG!  man, this thread is the reason I got up today.  Awesome.

gmann

Fish are in and all is running smoothly. Thanks CA1..The only thing I didnt get done is the frame around the tank on the living room side. I am going to have that done for me. I couldnt even manage to paint the MDF trim properly. If its going to look good might as well get someone to do it that knows what they are doing.  10 hours and counting. hhmm, that may expaing my stomach pains..
Tom Seleck looks pretty good though! ;) sorry no digital available to take pics.

busdriver

Quote from: BigDaddy on April 05, 2007, 10:36:43 AM
Oh.. come now.  Everyone here must know the OVAS mantra by now:

"It is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission"

;D
I got remember that one for my next purchase of a very large aquariums
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

normc

Tom

gmann

well just received the call and the revealing will have to wait until tomorrow around 4pm.flight in peurto rico had challenges leaving and therefore connections were missed.
Now I can have that guiness !

babblefish1960

A reprieve, how fortunate, is the house clean? Did you put away all of your tools? Good luck with tomorrow then, the suspense has us all quite curious as to how this is going to go over. I'm sure that you will be fine, just don't suck up too much or she will be suspicious. :)

garnpet

Quote from: gmann on April 06, 2007, 11:47:25 PM
well just received the call and the revealing will have to wait until tomorrow around 4pm.flight in peurto rico had challenges leaving and therefore connections were missed.

Sort of sounds like that last minute call from the state governor just before the execution!   ::)
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

darkdep

Well, now you have time to get that frame finished.  It just won't go over right without that.

When you come home, just don't say anything.  When she sees it and says "WHAT THE HELL"??  Just look at it and say "What? That?"

gmann

Thats pretty much the plan. UNFORT. Chris can't get that frame done. I will bring the luggage in and let her come in first. She will be in a good mood because she received $400 to cancel the flight to Montreal and is now flying direct to Ottawa.   

gmann

It took her a while to see it ??? When she did her first words were, "oh you built a new tank". followed by "It's cool" and I am not mad.. That was nice to hear. So now its off to find a frame. I will post pics once that is on.   

RoxyDog

Quote from: gmann on April 07, 2007, 02:36:49 PM
It took her a while to see it ??? When she did her first words were, "oh you built a new tank". followed by "It's cool" and I am not mad.. That was nice to hear. So now its off to find a frame. I will post pics once that is on.   

What?!  lol  I could put a .5 gallon tank in the bathroom behind the toilet and my husband would see it and definitely NOT say "it's cool".   ::)  Good to hear you're not sleeping on the couch dude.  ;)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

garnpet

Quote from: gmann on April 07, 2007, 02:36:49 PM

They must have been boozing it up on the plane trip home.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

darkdep

I don't get it.  Wow good for you Gerry!

gmann

I think she was very excited to show me all the booze she brought back. I did over hear her conversation with my father in-law and heard, "I am impressed"... yes, bonus points! ;D

sniggir

nice... congrats on the tank and not sleeping on the couch lol
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

babblefish1960

Very interesting reaction, you obviously know your wife better than the rest of think you do, so congratulations on the success of this project, and of course the even bigger and better projects to come. :)

rmicroys

Nice addition to the Richcraft Rosewood special.  I used to live in a Richcraft home just like that almost.

gmann

After a few days or was that hours, I was instructed to change the "fawn beige". I knew that was coming after Beowulf mentioned the colour pink.  That has been completed and the colour is now "Rossotto" and NO ITS NOT WHITE.. Just finished the first coat for half the dining room and sanded the wall in the living room. Next on my list is to sand the red oak frame and give it one more coat of verathane. Hopefully that will go up tomorrow and all this will be completed before tomorrows game at 3pm.
Fish seem to be enjoying whats going on however I do not like painting with the tank all set up. I have not finished the aquascaping yet. Need a few more rocks in there and there was a suggestion that there should be some plants.  I also added a pic of my 135 with moonlights on..

babblefish1960

It's a pity you had to lose the nice pink colour for just a plain white, but hey, you want to keep her happy right. Looks as though you're having fun at least, and the 135 looks interesting in the dark as well. ;)

busdriver

Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

gmann

Don"t fall off your chairs but the in wall project has been completed, FINALLY. Instead of the MDF for the frame I went with the Red Oak and I am happy I  compromised with the 3.25" wide instead of the 4.25" as I originally wanted. Fish in the tank include: 15 Demasoni, 4 Red zebra(red), 3 Melanochromis Dialeptos, 3 WC aceii, 5 labs and 1 male ps.perspicax orange cap. Big thanks to RON, Duane and all the rest of my friends who helped out.  Now to start planning for the next project :D 

babblefish1960

Pity you had to paint it from that lovely pink to that plain white, the colour really brought the rocks within to life. The white makes them look like rocks. ;)

Actually it looks very nice, it was a surprising outcome given the conditions which were set down. You are gifted in knowing your wife's tolerance, good job, and swell looking set up with  the oak as well.

What is your next mysterious gaffe?

plecoL83