New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help! Parasites infesting my angels? Started treatment!

Started by Lucie, September 23, 2007, 05:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucie

Hi. I have two angels which have swollen anuses with minute red (worms?) sticking out of the swelling, about 1 mm long. They haven't had any appetite since yesterday. I just isolated them this morning, and I bought some Anti-parasite medicated fish food from Jungle. I'm treating the hospital tank in Maracyn as well.
How will they get the de-wormer in if they're not eating?
Is it the right thing to give them? Any other suggestions?

KLKelly

Lucie - check out this thread - http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=20372.0

No one has posted yet on where to find levamisole.  I think this is one of the only treatment that kills them.  This can be a bath treatment.

I wonder if an antiparasite food would help until you find a treatment.

sas

Just a thought but your angels wouldn't be getting ready to spawn would they? And possibly what you are seeing are the breeding tubes?
   A picture might help to clarify.
I'm still new at all this but if they are cleaning a spot off on a leaf or other surface they may well be going to lay eggs?

Lucie

Sas, that would be great!!! They were spending a lot of time in a cave with another angel, they were inseperable. The other angel died this morning, he was a rescue, and his sores got infected. He will be missed, especially if that is the Spawning situation of my angels. I'll get a picture posted soon. I never thought of that!!!  :o

KLKelly, Thanks. I had checked that thread. I hope that Fischkopp's problem is solved. I did all that I wrote here after you nice messages, i checked out all sorts of websites about de-wormers, but I really don't know which one is best, or where to get the levamisole. The Jungle anti-parasite food is all I found. I will be going to the meeting tomorrow night...  Doesn't anybody else have this?

Lucie

Here's a photo of them in their hospital tank. Let me know what you guys think it is (swelling and red picky stuff behind long fins). Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

fischkopp

Quote from: Lucie on September 23, 2007, 06:11:18 PM
... I hope that Fischkopp's problem is solved ...  or where to get the levamisole ...

Unfortunately its not solved yet. I isolated the tank, but I didnt have time to look around for some levamisole. My idea was to check some veterinary or try to find it online somewhere. I am only affraid that it is sold in big $$$ amounts only as it is used to treat cheaps and cows ... Maybe if someone finds it we can split?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Lucie

Sounds like a plan. Does your angel problem look anything like my photo?

KLKelly

I'll call a couple places like M&R Feeds tomorrow.  Since this is such a common problem i'm surprised that there isn't a quick answer on where to get some.  I'll look online also.

KLKelly

I don't know what the ingredients are in this product: http://www.canadavet.com/Worm_Enda_Poultry_Wormer.cfm

This post on loaches online - http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=2782&highlight=levamisole+canada
Posted by Spyder... This is were I get Levamisole from:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e0794a-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
I have it shipped priority and get it is 2 - 3 days.

Hope this helps!

Karrie

Lucie

I don't know. What do you think, Fischkopp? I would think that a concentrate for sheep would have to be hard to dose... yipes. I guess i'll hold out til tomorrow night before making a purchasing decision. Lots of experts will be there  :). Thanks, Karrie

dan2x38

Past couple days been researching aquarium parasites. For me it was to get rid of Hydra & Flat Worms.

I found alot relating to internal parasites too. ParziPro works it contains praziquantel. If you cannot find levamisole then you can use flubendazole. The articles I read said to use Safe-Gaurd which contains flubendazole.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

Good luck Lucie.  Let me know what you find out and share it on the board.  This way others like me will know what to do if we need it.  I want to be prepared if any of my future fish have this.  I hate being unprepared like I was when I needed Metronidazole.

I hope you find a solution/treatment advice you need.

Karrie

KLKelly

I had a friend on another forum (she works in a biology lab and is now at vet school) treat four celebes rainbows with confirmed callamanus - microscope pics in link below.  She tried the flubendazole but the worms were alive and still moving.  I think on that loach thread I posted above they mentione flubendazole as hit and miss.  It's your fish though - do what you think is best based on your research.

A link to that thread: http://thegab.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
She treated with a bit less than 2mg/L - three weekly doses.  The female died.  I think once the worms start protruding the fish is heavily infected and they might not be able to expel the dead worms after treatment.  The other three fish survived.

More info:  At 22*C the larvae take about 11 days before they infect fish and then spend another 30 to 40 days inside the fish before they start reproducing.

Best of luck Lucie.

Prazipro - will not touch these worms.

dan2x38

Voltaire:

KLKelly

Dan - I'm like you I love to read also.  I like when people post on things and I have more things to look up/read about/learn.  If my water was better and my husband didn't hate aquariums I'd have 20 tanks set up.  I'm biding my time until I can get my loach tank up and running (not until next year).  Loaches seem to be commonly treated with Levamisole for skinny disease. 

fischkopp

Quote from: Lucie on September 23, 2007, 07:16:29 PM
Sounds like a plan. Does your angel problem look anything like my photo?

Its quite hard to see on the pictures whether your angels are infected by Camallanus.
Best is you search in the internet for some pictures and compare them with your angels.

This is a good site how to use levamisol (already poste once in this forum).
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Lucie

Update: I tried to order Levamisole from the US, at the address on the post by KLKelly, and they would not ship to Canada, because it is a medication outlawed here. Big Al's got a product in the catalogue that they don't carry in the store (maybe available only in the US?) I'll try big al's online... I've been treating them in Prazipro... BigDaddy told me at the meeting that I could certainly try...
This morning I phoned vets around town. Nobody has Levamisole. Maybe I'll phone fish farms to see if they would know.
One of the fish has a transparent trailing worm hanging down this morning (3/8" long). Could it be a dead worm? A glimmer of hope?

KLKelly

I've sent the moderator at loaches online a message- i hope he replies. He's in Toronto.

Did you pm ottawa discuss?

dan2x38

Voltaire:

KLKelly

Looks like flubendazole is the only option in Canada unless Ottawa discuss or someone else has some ideas.  This is what the vet gave my cat as a dewormer.

I'm really surprised that it isn't available anymore up here.  I'm going to call the large animal vet in kemptville.

I think that this should be a concern for the whole ovas community.  I might post on the club section and get some feedback.