New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Garage sale / membership drive - information

Started by garnpet, August 31, 2009, 10:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnpet

OVAS will hold a garage sale/membership drive on Saturday the 26th of September 2009 at J.A. Dulude Arena - Mel Baker Hall, located at 941 Clyde Avenue from 10am until 1pm. 

There will be some good deals, so come out and look around and get your 2009/2010 membership at the same time. 

Information for people wishing to sell items

• Tables can be reserved at a cost of $10 for a full table or $5 for a half table - you can rent more than 1 table.  Payment is due on Saturday before you setup your items.
  • If you want to reserve a table you must PM me.  First come first served.  I will know later on this week how many tables we should be able to setup.
  • There is no item registration for this event.  You will be responsible for labelling your items and handling all cash transactions.
  • The sale starts at 10am, you can bring your items to the room starting at 9am.
  • You do not need to be an OVAS member to sell items at this event.  However, we reserve the right to harass you into buying one.   ;) 

Please note that due to the garage sale we will NOT be holding a mini-auction at the September meeting.

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

littlelil

what are the dimensions of a table?

can we sell livestock? can i specifically reserve a table with an electrical outlet near by?

garnpet

Livestock, equipment, anything fish related.  I will checkout the electrical outlet situation.

Tables are the normal table size that are at the mini-auctions or giant auction, I will get a size for you as well.  I think they would be about 6 feet by 2 feet (or around that).

Hookup

garnpet

Quote from: Hookup on August 31, 2009, 04:04:02 PM
is anything "off limits" for the sale?
Ummm, what do you want to sell? 

As long as it's fish related it should be ok.  If you are unsure, please ask!

garnpet

We are going to setup a minimum of 15 tables for the garage sale.  I tried to get in to see the room today, but it was locked up.  There is a possibility that we could have room for more, but I won't know until I can get into the room.  That being said, we need 15 tables rented to make this worthwhile. 

Right now we have only 2.5 tables rented.  If you want this event to take place we will need a commitment for the 15 tables by September 20th or the event will not take place. 

First come, first served so please reserve as soon as possible.

charlie

Quote from: garnpet on September 08, 2009, 02:13:12 PM
We are going to setup a minimum of 15 tables for the garage sale.  I tried to get in to see the room today, but it was locked up.  There is a possibility that we could have room for more, but I won't know until I can get into the room.  That being said, we need 15 tables rented to make this worthwhile. 

Right now we have only 2.5 tables rented.  If you want this event to take place we will need a commitment for the 15 tables by September 20th or the event will not take place. 

That 15 table target should be easy, considering the poll had 19 people voted as sellers & buyers, Come on folks formalise your vote now by booking your table

charlie

Right now we have only 2.5 tables rented.  If you want this event to take place we will need a commitment for the 15 tables by September 20th or the event will not take place.  First come, first served so please reserve as soon as possible.

One week before the 20th, the results of this poll had 19 people indicating their intent to be both buyers & sellers
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=37985.0
Would those 19 people please PM your table reservation now .
Those of us that missed the poll & would like to sell , please reserve your table now.

RossW

I was 1 of the 19 but timing and circumstance mean I have changed my plans. I suspect the majority of the remaining missing of the other 19 are in the same situation.

Talk is cheap...

FocusFin

It's going to feel awfully lonely with only 1.5 other people selling things ???
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

garnpet

QuoteTalk is cheap...
Yes, talk is very cheap.  We need 15 people selling items by Monday the 21st or we will cancel the garage sale.

I am currently in Oslo, Norway and don't have the time to bug people to get off their butts for this event.  I will be back on the 20th so I hope their is some action on this by that time.

RossW

I am not a betting man but... if in the last 2 weeks the 19 individuals have not committed, I think it is unlikely they will commit in the next week.

Maybe you should have put a hold on the classified for the last couple weeks ;)

fischkopp

This event is meant to give everyone a good start into the season. We started planning the Garage Sale as a response to the comments we got after the Giant Auction. The Giant Auction has become one of the major events that OVAS organizes. I can imagine (wasn't around) that the participation was much lower than it was the past years. Many know about that big auction some time before spring starts.

We are now trying to establish the Garage sale as a different format to exchange aquatic goods between hobbyist just at the halftime of two giant auction. You can offer anything that you bring to auctions here, but you can ask for what you think it is worth. Garage sale might be the wrong title for it, think of it as a frag swap or fish market if you like. Yes, you can also bring all the equipment that you have no use for anymore. Just everything that smells fishy. And you don't need to be afraid that any breed fish or propagated frag sells for a bargain because it's you who is setting the price. And its you who takes it all home. OVAS is simply providing the organization of the event; the table rent goes directly into the rent of the location. This is a fixed rate unfortunately, that why we need a certain number of people to commit before it become self-supporting and more important: interesting enough for people to come and have a look. Overall, that sounds like a pretty successful idea to me.

Like all new ideas it will take some time until the people get aware of it. I would be surprised if we would get the same attendance as at the Giant Auction. But I am sure that this format has a great future if we can once establish it. It's up to everyone to participate and help to grow the event. Because everyone knows: the more people come - sellers and buyers - the more varieties and deals there will be.

I hope everyone sees that this can be a new highlight in your aquatic calender if we make it happen!

See you all there!
:)

Robert Hemp
OVAS Nut
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

littlelil

i think it's a fantastic idea and i totally need to get rid of a  bunch of things but alas, i have a wedding to attend on that day. Sorry!

if someone is willing to sell stuff for me, i can pay for a 1/2 table and set everything up before the garage sale starts!  ;D

charlie

Your last weekend to book your tables

Vincenzo.

well i'll have my full table. maybe not the most precious stuff to sell, but stuff to sell none the less. im not looking to become a millionaire, just to sell this stuff. it's taking up closet & tank space. i'll have dry goods (all sorts) and live goods (frags of all types - for sw) i'll be there with the wife & baby so if anyone is going to bring their kids, it'll be nice.

hope this happens!!

2075turner

If we rent a table, can we have stuff on the floor?  I have an aquarium that I was thinking of bringing if I can have it beside my table standing upright?   also have some rocks and gravel that weigh a ton, I was thinking of putting on the floor in pails?  Would this be okay? or does everything have to be on the table?

frankiewanky

Just curious. It's Sept 20-is the garage sale a go ?
My computer is on strike so I am on my blackberry searching the OVAS site. I apologize if an answer or notice has been posted
Thanks
Lots of tanks - lots of fish

garnpet

Right now we have 6 tables reserved, realistically we need 15 tables for this to be a worth while venture for the club.  As mentioned in a previous post we will decide tomorrow what the status is.

smalltownfan

FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish