New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fresh water muscles

Started by renadia, September 16, 2007, 08:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renadia

I read that fresh water muscles are very good at cleaning the bottom of ponds, they eat all the garbage in the bottom, has anyone tried them? I have seen some for sale on Ebay

Aquaviewer

Quote from: renadia on September 16, 2007, 08:12:09 PM
I read that fresh water muscles are very good at cleaning the bottom of ponds, they eat all the garbage in the bottom, has anyone tried them? I have seen some for sale on Ebay

Mussels are filter feeders not detritivours so they would not be much good at cleaning the bottom of your pond.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

Zoe

I get freshwater muscles from lifting buckets of tank water during water changes... lol, sorry :)

Anyway, I don't think they would really do much good. They don't "eat" off ground, but eat nutrients in the water.

renadia

So I guess if they filter they would help in keeping the water clean. Anything good to help keep the bottom clean?

I'm planning on bringing them in for the winter in a 55 gal, I will add a pleco, any bottom fish that eat wathever falls to the bottom?