New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

HELP PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A muskrat in my pond

Started by CMW, October 08, 2007, 05:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMW

>:(
All I can say is that it is a good thing (s)he is a vegetarian.

We just arrived home after the long weekend and when I went around back to check on the pond I was surprised at how the water plants had "wilted"....then I was wondering where the new stone at the edge of the pond came from...wondered until it moved that is!

It appears that a muskrat took up residence in the few days we were gone.  It has eaten nearly all the plants we put in (I think destroyed about sums it up, going to have to start over next spring).  The best part is where we found most of our missing vegetation.  I picked up the lid from the biofilter and found it...and the muskrat.  (s)he had made a nice comfy and dry nest in the filter box! 

The fish seem completely undisturbed by the muskrat,  in fact I think they ere enjoying all the root pieces floating around from the devastation the muskrat has done.

The help I need is how to get rid of our univited guest.  The nightly raccoon we have adjusted to, the bull frogs moved on....now it is a muskrat!

Help pls?

c

The Pond Boy

Hi,

You need to put a trap up for the muskrat. There is also a risk that he bite a hole in the liner.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

KLKelly

We bought humane live traps at Lee Valley Tools.

I would relocate him soon if you are going to.  Winter is coming soon.....

Unfortunately for the animal, relocation has a number of bad side effects.

1. Relocated animals must find new food sources in an unfamiliar environment.

2. Relocated animals must find new shelter in an unfamiliar environment. In the winter time, relocated wildlife have precious little time to find shelter.

3. Relocated animals must do number 1 and 2 above while avoiding predators. It must also do those tasks before weather, food and water conditions take their toll.

I've sent you a private message....

Karrie

beowulf

Won't the city trap and relocate for you?  I know back in Montreal they did so you might want to call the city here to see if they do.

renadia

Quote from: beowulf on October 09, 2007, 06:55:33 AM
Won't the city trap and relocate for you?  I know back in Montreal they did so you might want to call the city here to see if they do.
I think if you catch it they might help, good thing it didn't like the taste of your fish  ;)
When you scared it away did it come back? Did the water level in your pond go down? If so you need to check the liner.

Good luck!

CMW

Thanks to all.

I think that our most recent pond guest has taken the hint and moved on.  We are going to keep the outdoor lights on and the radio playing pond-side for a few more days.  I am also planning to drain the pond, for a few days anyway (need to do some cleaning and now see if any plants remain that can be salvaged - don't think he ate my water lily at least).

Removing his nest and leaving the cover off the pump box appears to have discouraged him.  He did come back and was sitting on top of the pump, probably looking for his nest (I do feel sorry for him) the first day but he and I had a close encounter and I am hoping that scared him enough that he won't be back.

The good news is that he only had a couple of days (and all my plants) worth of work into his new home and he should be able to move on and find himself somewhere new.  In reading up on these guys I was surprised to learn that they habitually wander fair distances in the fall searching for over-wintering sites.  The only place I have seen muskrats near us has been in water filled ditches along Richardson Side Road.  I guess the ditches do a combined dry-up & freeze which makes them unsuitable for muskrats.  These guys stay active all year round.  They will also apparently resort to eating "slow moving" fish.  I think that would make any fish who overwinter in our pond easy pickings come winter when the muskrat has eaten up every plant, root and leaf under the ice.  Def'n not welcome to overwinter!

He is really cute though.

Oops, tried posting a photo but it was too big!

c

KLKelly

I was surprised at how big they are.  I had always thought they were just swimming rats.  I got a video clip of one of our foster groundhogs last year chasing away a big fat one!

I hope he's moved on.  I doubt the filter box would have made a good home for the winter for him anyways.  Great approach to getting him to move btw  8)

renadia

So I guess you brought your fish in for the winter, what type of winter home do you have for them? I'm going to a seminar on Saturday to get info on how to get my pond ready for winter. It's my first year and I already have plans for improving it next year  ;D ;D  I will inform my hubby slowly on this, he just shakes his head at how many fish do I need to have ;D ;D

CMW

I am planning to bring in my koi and to put my goldfish back out once we get the pond cleaned up.  I am thinking of starting to bring them in today.  I saw your (renadia) post about bringing your first two in.  I plan to stagger bringing them in too.  I also plan to add another filter to our tank. 

Here is a photo of the muskrat (resized from my earlier attempt)

[attachment deleted by admin]

renadia

Quote from: CMW on October 10, 2007, 09:36:08 AM
I am planning to bring in my koi and to put my goldfish back out once we get the pond cleaned up.  I am thinking of starting to bring them in today.  I saw your (renadia) post about bringing your first two in.  I plan to stagger bringing them in too.  I also plan to add another filter to our tank. 

Here is a photo of the muskrat (resized from my earlier attempt)

Wow we can see the damage  it did to your plants !! Look at the bright side, ;D When wildlife visits your pond it's because you successfully created a great environment!  ;)