New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Andrew @ BA Kanata

Started by HappyGuppy, December 22, 2011, 12:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyGuppy

I just wanted to express my gratitude to Andrew from the Kanata BA store.  I went in two days ago to buy some marine salt, something else, and also just to "look" (which often leads to an impulse buy).  Upon seeing me he told me that he *had* something (a macro, since I'm a macro collector) that came in and was hoping that I would come in to get it - he knows what I like.  I have to say that it is really nice to go someplace that the people there know you and even apparently think of you when you're not around.  Furthermore, I said I came in to buy some supplies but he kindly informed me of the upcoming boxing day sale, and after his convincing argument I wisely decided to abstain from the purchase that day, and I'm very grateful for that tip.  He told me about a macro he had in, that he hoped I'd come in to buy it, but unfortunately someone else snapped it up as soon as it was put up for sale.  I was disappointed to hear that.  Upon looking through the tanks to see what else was there I noticed that a tiny fragment of that macro must have broken off.  Though I was completely willing to pay for it Andrew just gave it to me.   He told the lady at the front desk to let me slip by as all I had in the bag was just some "fluff".  Tiny as it may have been I can assure you that for me it was a precious precious precious gem.  I know that in all it was a relatively small thing, but I can't express to you the immense joy I got from the bit of "fluff" and the experience thanks to Andrew.

I returned to the store the next day, yesterday, because I wanted to thank Andrew.  I wanted him to know that he really made my day.  Unfortunately he wasn't there.  I used the time to check out and start a list of things to get for boxing day - I've compiled a big shopping list and now can't wait for monday.  I also ended up buying a live rock on impulse (wow great shipment!!!  I should have waited for boxing day... but oh well, it was worth it even at regular price).

Well, I'll be returning to BA's on monday and hope to personally convey to Andrew my immense gratitude and customer satisfaction.

Furthermore, I would like to add that I've also had some great experiences with a couple other staff.  Tabitha - a delight to deal with, and she was extremely helpful recommending a solution to a problem I was experiencing at the time.  Also Tom - knowledgeable, great customer service, and was awesome giving a tour of the store to my Beaver Scouts group last May.  I'll add that it is a pleasure to be acknowledged by them each time they see me, knowing who I am, and their greet feels genuine.  The other staff there are pretty nice too, though those are the top ones that I've had exceptional experiences with.  I should also add that Rob from the East end store was also beyond my expectations the one time I went there this summer.

Personally, I am very satisfied with Big Als, and mostly due to the experiences with the people there.  You guys are awesome.  I love popping in even when I don't plan to buy anything just to look around (which about 50% of the time I leave with something wonderful).  Keep up the great work, and thank you for all that you do.  You're fabulous and much appreciated.

elk

He probably got fired for giving away fluff.

HappyGuppy

Quote from: elk on December 22, 2011, 06:21:34 AM
He probably got fired for giving away fluff.

LOL funny.  But seriously that minuscule freebie earned them more due to the next day impulse purchase, and went a long way towards customer loyalty.  Getting that tiny fragment really made my day (week even), but what is the real cherry on the cake is the positive experiences with the staff.  The "fluff" was just a tipping point that put me over the edge in my satisfaction with them.

TLe041

I know you're trying to express gratitude, but publicly posting things like "he told the lady at the front desk to let me slip by" could potentially get an employee in trouble depending on how strict management is.
Tony

Hookup

Outstanding service should always be recognized.  Great job!

HappyGuppy

TLe - Yes, stealing from a store, or assisting a customer to steal would result in an employee getting fired.  Believe me, this was nothing remotely worthy of being an offense.  It was literally a tiny bit of fluff.  I would expect that if you were to go in, they recognize you as being a repeat customer, and if you were to say "could you please give me a couple of MTS snails for free for a planted tank I'm working on, much of the contents of which I purchased from you" I'd be shocked if they didn't offer them for free.  I use this example as Petsmart has done exactly this for me multiple times over the years.  The "fluff" was a non-sellable item, but for me is gold.  Bottom line is he absolutely didn't do anything wrong.  I would add that Marine Scape actually gave me a ton of free fluff, and I have been more than delighted with them too.  I should actually post a thanks to them too.  I guess the owners of Marine Scape should be fired then too.  Oh, and Rob from BA's East also gave me some free clips of macros, which also left me glowing with delight for days.

To make the intent clearer perhaps let me explicitly state that the reason for this post is NOT about getting the free "fluff".  It was just a tipping point for me.  It was just the last positive incident of a string of positive incidents with Big Als staff that I've had over the years and relatively recently.  My happiness levels with BA's has been cumulatively growing to the point that I just burst into feelings of gratitude that wanted to be expressed.

Hookup - Yes, agreed.  That is why I posted the thread in the Big Als section.  I've had multiple very pleasant experiences.  I believe in expressing praise & gratitude when genuinely felt.  That's all that I'm doing here.  I think the world would be a better place if people complimented each other (authentically) more frequently.  I had gone into the store to personally convey my gratitude but he wasn't there.  I hope that this thread be seen by the fine people at BA's, and maybe even the management as an affirmation that their employees are doing a good job.  The later part is a significant reason for posting this here (I never seen any suggestion cards & submission boxes at the store).  From time to time when someone does something wonderful I've even gone management to praise their employees (happens once in a blue moon).  The way I look at is they made my day, and by expressing the gratitude back I hope that I've made their day too.

HappyGuppy

Just to further clarify - as I was alluding to in the last post, the "fluff" certainly wasn't worthy of making a big gratitude fuss over.  Yes, all this superficially might seem like too big of a deal in the context of this single incident, but it was just the tipping point for me.  Think the positive inverse of the concept of "death of a thousand cuts".  It's just a culmination of an accumulation of good experiences.  That's all. 

brotherluv

I think most people who've been into that location understand the service all their employees provide...They're all great!   Also, I doubt Andrew, being the manager of the store...would fire himself.  Lol.

smalltownfan

I really don't think giving a customer a tiny piece would be theft. I have been given tiny bits by the guys at FT. Those little pieces are difficult for them to sell as in many cases they don't survive. And that "fluff" keeps me going back time and time again for my bigger purchases.
If someone builds a good relationship with the owners these small actions add up customer loyalty.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

washefuzzy

It's great to share a positive experience with an fs store. Big Al's is my favourite fs to shop at. I like the service. Even though I don't go often the staff still recognize me. It makes the experience of shopping there very pleasant.

rookie

Quote from: TLe041 on December 22, 2011, 04:19:59 PM
I know you're trying to express gratitude, but publicly posting things like "he told the lady at the front desk to let me slip by" could potentially get an employee in trouble depending on how strict management is.
Am i the only person that understand where you are coming from  ???, i really don`t get the impression you are saying one should not sing the praises of good service.
Merry Xmas

Dakotamay

I don't have personal experience with BA's as I live outside of Ottawa. However, I completely agree with you in showing your appreciation for the fine service you received. I think it gives that employee a little boost too and in turn makes their interactions with other customers more positive as well. Let's them know that they are doing a great job and are actually appreciated.

I agree also, those little fluffs are a great building block with the customer that shows them you appreciate their repeat business and where applicable can and will give them a little something to thank them for their loyalty to your store.

I strongly believe once you find a LFS that you are happy with and receive great service and livestock from. You should shop there as exclusively as possible in order to ensure they are always there when you need them or just to browse and see if you can't find that little nugget  :P you're not really looking for but know it when you've found it lol.

Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays everyone. Have a great time at the boxing day sales. And Happy New Year too.

cdylnicki

I had my first experience today with Andrew!  Wow, what a nice guy!

I was looking for a specific replacement piece for my diatom filter; he knew exactly what it was, and ordered one for me (as they didn't have one in the store).  I didn't know who he was until he was helping me order the piece & someone called him by name.

I am glad someone wrote about their positive experience with BAs as I have had bad luck at the Innes location & was ready to write them off as a place to shop. 

Excellent customer service should be noticed & I am glad someone started this post!

jshchrtn

Just want to add that big Al's Kanata did a great job today with boxing day! Lots of great staff ready to help you and lots of 1$ neons lol!
Thanks!

HappyGuppy

Went to BAs today.  Great day to shop there.  I didn't interact with staff too much today because they were busy.  Got what I needed, dropped a couple hundred bucks and left.  Glad to hear others have had good experiences with BA today.

PiccoloFish

BA Kanata has always provided me with the best customer service around, even sold them a ram/convict hybrid I needed to let go a while back.

My girlfriend, A.K.A Mishtay on this forum swears by BA and heads to Kanata weekly for one thing or another.

A+ Staff, great selection.

Keep up the geat work!

shannon333

I moved my post elsewhere :0)