New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Salty Sundays - a fun and lighthearted meeting of minds Sundays from 10am-noon

Started by alongfortheride, April 08, 2010, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alongfortheride

Do any of the below describe you?

1) When you take a whiff of a half full skimmer and instead of squinting your eyes and pulling your head back,you go in for a second sniff.
2) Staring directly into a 250W metal halide light no longer hurts your eyes.
3) Saying flasher wrasse doesnt make you giggle anymore *if you didn't laugh at that one, say flasher wrasse really slowly.
4) The directions to your house involve "turn left and as you are driving up look for the house with blue glowing windows - you can't miss it".
5) When people have conversations and a word like flower pot or leather comes up, the first thing that comes to your mind are different kinds of coral.
6) You wait an hour after your lights go out so you can grab a flash light and see whats crawling around in your tank after dark.
7) You ask for coral as part of your birthday or Christmas gifts.
8 ) You are most proud of your children not because they sing like Broadway stars or speak, read and write multiple languages, but because they are more interested in staring at the refugium/sump than at the tank and will regale any and all visitors with the names of all the animals in the tank before scurrying off to play dress up.

Then come to Salty Sundays!
From 10am-12 noon @ 70 Laurel St. Unit A to enjoy some casual chat with Ottawa Valley Reefers.

Bring your frags, or just come out for some good old fashioned chat.

Coffee will be served, as well as some home made goods made by Trina (aka alongfortheride) and the grill will be turned on for some hot dogs at 11:30am.

*this is not an official OVAS event.*

alongfortheride

Now a facebook group!
Check out photos from the weekend, be reminded of upcoming seminars, etc by joining ;)

Search "Salty Sundays" let the admin (me) know your online user name and we will approve your request to join - simple as that :)

Hookup

alongfortheride

Quote from: Nelson on April 08, 2010, 05:41:52 PM
Link doesn't seem to work Trina.....Nelson

Yeah I can't figure out how to link it, but search Salty Sundays and I will add you to the group Nelson :)

holachicka

Quote from: Hookup on April 08, 2010, 05:45:33 PM
Wooo Hooo... must be official... you're on FACEBOOK!

Yah - and now that I have joined the group, it's officially the COOLEST group to be part of on The Facebook!!!

Hookup

holachicka

holachicka

HomerJ

Not fair!!!  Another Sunday with too much to do and too little time.  I will try to go in the next few weeks.

ordi260

It was my first ss and it was so friendly and interesting! Thanks to pat and trina!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

93GTCANADA

I made a quick stop. Sorry if I wasn't that friendly and seemed out of it was hungover big time from 2 open bar parties this weekend.  :D

alongfortheride

Another great morning of Coffee, chatting...and homemade icecream ;)
Thanks for being such troupers guys and toughing it out in the cold and squishing inside when we gave up hope for warmer weather :)
Let's keep our fingers crossed for sunshine for next weekend!

[attachment deleted by admin]

salvini55

thats it! im comming next week! Ive put it off WWWAYYYYYY too long

Severum

Quote from: ciaus on April 11, 2010, 11:43:26 PM
Got to put some faces to online names

Ya, too bad it was one sided Mr Coat Cover Up!

Regards,
Steve
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

tskinner

alongfortheride

groan

Some day soon I hope to make it out!
Access requested!
I know my son likes visiting!

Hookup

Nice to see some people out this past Sunday... I'm sorry it was a hit and run for us, but the 180g tank thanks you...

Here's hoping for 80* weather for next Sunday.

alongfortheride

Some pics from last weekend.
They are calling for a beautiful day tomorrow - so come out and enjoy the sunny weather on the patio with some great chat, coffee and dessert er I mean breakfast ;)

ordi260

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

HomerJ

That's it... that picture of the strawberry cake convinced me ;-b  I'll be there around 11 with my cheapie Ebay LED light and possibly the rest of the family (Marge, Lisa, and Bart).

alongfortheride

No tastey strawberry shortcake this weekend. :-\

But Tyler and I are teaming together for an even tastier treat! ;D

Chinese Cheesecakes  :D

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

HomerJ

Was great to put a face on forum handles.  Thanks for having us, we had a great time!

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

ordi260

Can i have the receipe for the delicious stuff tyler made today??????

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

HomerJ

Quote from: Tyler.L on April 26, 2010, 05:23:10 PM
NO

Actually, it's pretty easy.  Take 1000 calories.  Wrap them in another 1000 calories.  Deep fry.  Sprinkle with more calories...

Don't get me wrong... that stuff was AWESOME!

Tyler.L

i'm not giving up any secrets, this is what makes sundays special, maybe if you're lucky and buy me 8 octopus cone skimmers, 12 vortech mp40s, and 1 snail and maybe, maybe i'll tell people the secret

and its not love as the special something

Severum

With all that gear in you biocube you won't have any room for water...
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

holachicka

Quote from: ordi260 on April 25, 2010, 07:19:59 PM
Can i have the receipe for the delicious stuff tyler made today??????

ben oui :)

Its cheesecake stuffing and eggroll wraps...dont pay any attention to Tyler...he is just trying to be a bully...lol

Tyler - all of your contributions have been amazing but this one...OMG, wow, it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Severum

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

Tyler.L

i am never coming to salty sundays again

way to blow it for everyone!

Hookup

OMG, if you're not there I've no reason to be there...

/slits wrists.

redbelly

These are the idea behind the desert tyler made, but the filling is not the same.
The filling from the desert was actually the same filling as what Trina made for her strawberry shortcake tastyness from the weekend before.

Oh and rolls were not sprinkled in brown sugar and cinammon, the were rolled in it to be sure their calorie count was above 5000 per bite.

Tyler.L

what is with everyone and the selling me out, my god i hate my life

White Lightning

I don't care whay anyone says Tyler......you're alright in my books!

redbelly

I was protecting your secret ingredients there Tyler. Yes you can make something similar, but it just wont be the same without the secret ingredients for the center of the wrap.

JD

Quote from: Tyler.L on April 27, 2010, 06:10:02 PM
i am never coming to salty sundays again

way to blow it for everyone!

So, Tyler won't be there anymore.

See you next weekend...lol :)

holachicka

Quote from: redbelly on April 27, 2010, 11:22:18 PM
I was protecting your secret ingredients there Tyler. Yes you can make something similar, but it just wont be the same without the secret ingredients for the center of the wrap.

haha - I got the joke...LOL...poor Vanessa!!

Quote from: JD on April 28, 2010, 06:37:13 AM
So, Tyler won't be there anymore.

See you next weekend...lol :)

Oh yes - I am for sure there...At 10am sharp!!!!!
And JD - you and your wonderful wife better be there too...enough with the books and motorcycles, haha!! See you soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See you all on Sunday ----- uh hum, hello, do I have everyone's attention?!?! Ok, well, Hello, My name is Jessie!!! I will be attending Salty Sunday this weekend! And now that I have everyone's attention.... I will be bringing a wonderful dessert!!! Yes, I will not only be eating, I will be participating!

I thank you in advance for your wonderful compliments - oh, and Tyler, yah, I hate your life too!! haha

dan2x38

Question?

It is titled Salty Sundays but seems you just talk about desserts? Are they salty desserts? LOL
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

holachicka

Quote from: dan2x38 on April 28, 2010, 03:15:47 PM
Question?

It is titled Salty Sundays but seems you just talk about desserts? Are they salty desserts? LOL

no no no, sugary desserts :) and Dan, you are welcomed to come!!!! We are waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnrt

"It is titled Salty Sundays but seems you just talk about desserts?"

Hmm, now that you mention it, it is a significant chunk of the conversations. Fish are mentioned occasionally, corals more frequently and *anything* else most often.

It is, however, a salt water tolerant group, which I have discovered, most human gatherings are not. . .

Hookup

Quote from: johnrt on April 28, 2010, 04:34:37 PM
It is, however, a salt water tolerant group, which I have discovered, most human gatherings are not. . .

Can you blame them?   ;D

I was feeling introspective;  You all now get to suffer as a result.

Our affliction is like an infection without remorse or limited discretion 
We debate fish biology and psychology while speaking of ecology
We measure lumins and the par for lighting thats gone too far
We dream of bigger dreams boasting technicolor scenes between large glass screens that claim to be serene
How can any other share in the passion beyond compare
But to come and join the creep of the salt that never sleeps
And while away the days waxing of the many ways
The conversation never ends and forms us into friends
Come and join the creep of the salt that never sleeps.

dan2x38

Quote from: holachicka on April 28, 2010, 03:27:29 PM
no no no, sugary desserts :) and Dan, you are welcomed to come!!!! We are waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there salt for the treats? ;) OR just the fish... LOL
Voltaire:

salvini55

Quote from: Hookup on April 28, 2010, 05:10:04 PM
Can you blame them?   ;D

I was feeling introspective;  You all now get to suffer as a result.

Our affliction is like an infection without remorse or limited discretion 
We debate fish biology and psychology while speaking of ecology
We measure lumins and the par for lighting thats gone too far
We dream of bigger dreams boasting technicolor scenes between large glass screens that claim to be serene
How can any other share in the passion beyond compare
But to come and join the creep of the salt that never sleeps
And while away the days waxing of the many ways
The conversation never ends and forms us into friends
Come and join the creep of the salt that never sleeps.

OH SNAP! you sir just blasted my mind! kudos kudos

Hookup

whooo hoo... for a while in grade school I wanted to be a poet when I grew up... no lie... 

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VrZE8MCnIA

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

holachicka

ordi260

Quote from: holachicka on May 01, 2010, 11:41:06 AM
I am :) and really, that's all that matters. Haha

Woohoo!!!I was hesitating to go but now that i know youre going that's for sure i don't...

oops i mean that ill go

see you tomorrow

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

alongfortheride

Patrick and I and Tyler, Vanessa and Chloe will be there.
I am not sure if John will make it as his car has been acting up.

holachicka

Yay, JD ans wife will be there :)

Me, Steve, Julia ans Jasmine will be there!!!!

Vincenzo.

who the heck is this steve? lmfao. u have a new guy in ur life now? im gone rat u out to the V.Man..

alongfortheride

holachicka

Its all good Vince, you can rat me out - Steve and Vaf are really good friends ;)

Good to see some faces I've not seen in a long time :D I LOVE Salty Sundays :)

alongfortheride

Just a reminder to those regulars - and those thinking about stopping by this Sunday.
There is NO salty sunday this weekend.
Enjoy Mother's Day!

Severum

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

holachicka

dan2x38

Voltaire:

holachicka

So, seeing it was Mothers Day and no SS - I will be bringing something deeeelightful to the next get together :)
Hope ya'll are hungry - yup, I said ya'll, lol

Hookup

i think what everyone needs is a breath of fresh air... there is so much bull around lately that most people are choking on it... here's looking forward to changes in the near future, out with the old and in with the new....

It'll be great to have something deeeelightful at the next get together Jessie!!!  I know I'm hungry for it!

dan2x38

Voltaire:

alongfortheride

Looking forward to seeing everyone out this weekend - maybe I will make some buttertarts ;)

holachicka

Oh snap...buttertarts!? Yah yah, those buttertarts will be fan-flipin-tastic :)
Look forward to seeing good people and Tim, glad to hear it :)

dan2x38

If someone is interested I can bring some cheato for free to SS. LMK
Voltaire:

ordi260

Ill take a handful for sure!  Wanted to mod an AC110 or 70 into a fuge but they are too big for my 20g tank...ill mod a 50 instead...its kind of small but i guess its gonna be OK...so yeah ill take about a tennis ball size please  8)

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Oh yeah and ill try to bring some goodies for breakfast too!!! 

Ill try not to sleep through my alarm this time so i have time to make some!!!  ;)

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Tyler and Matt told me about a kind of frozen food the clowns were crazy about...something you guys give them...i forgot the name of it...can someone tell me what it is???

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

Quote from: Tyler.L on May 15, 2010, 10:39:58 AM
crack

Alright...ill mark that down on my shopping list for tomorrow...do you guys have any in stock  ;D

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Tyler.L

its nutramar ova and i dont think there is any instock my friend

Severum

Isn't that Rod's Food?
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=39956.msg235890#msg235890

Then again Tyler refers to many things as crack - nutramar ova, rod's food, his plumbers butt, etc.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

alongfortheride

It is the Nutrimar Ova and we have lots still in stock :)
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=44642.0

See everyone tomorrow at S.S. :)
Buttertarts are being baked tonight.

dan2x38

Quote from: alongfortheride on May 15, 2010, 12:00:05 PM
See everyone tomorrow at S.S. :)
Buttertarts are being baked tonight.

crossing fingers for peacans... hint-hint... LMAO
Voltaire:

alongfortheride

I will be making a mix of Raisin, Pecan and plain (especially for Tim).
But you may have to arm wrestle Patrick for the Pecan ones Dan ;)

dan2x38

Quote from: alongfortheride on May 15, 2010, 03:28:55 PM
I will be making a mix of Raisin, Pecan and plain (especially for Tim).
But you may have to arm wrestle Patrick for the Pecan ones Dan ;)

I am old but still have some strength for the young whiper snapper... ;)
Voltaire:

redbelly

Dan, you may only have some pecan butter tarts if you pronounce pecan properly, aka with a snouty british accent.
If you pronounce it like like an american - pee can, you will be banned for Trina butter tarts for life! :P

Weather is absolutely amazing today so it looks like it will be an awsome day for SS!

holachicka

Agreed - weather is amazing and was perfect for SS!!!

As for the Pahcan buttertarts - OMG, they were too die for....and too bad everyone ate them all before I could have more than 1...oh well, maybe next time I can have a few more...  ;)

redbelly

With the weather improving so much its about time that we start our tank build demo, if people are interested that is.

The idea would be that every week we would spend a few min to do one step of a full tank build. This would include drilling, plumbing, aqua scaping, everything. Start to finish. It wouldnt be a lot of time, maybe 20 min max so dont worry it wont cut into everyones social time and we can do it on one side of the patio so those that are not interested in a tank setup demo can continue to socialize.

I think we will build up a tank around either 40g or 75g.

So are people interested?

Severum

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

dan2x38

Pat if you like I can see about bringing my tank before the weekend and get you to drill it if you want to demonstrate that? If not this weekend the one after is OK too. Then the week after I'll be installing my coast to coast 'V' style wouldn't mind leaving it for the week since I won't be adding the plumbing for another week or two due to cost. I'd get the glass cut and bring with the silicone I am using black as the glass will be smoked to hide the bulkheads.

I will also be painting the back of this tank so a few stages of a build sitting on your door step... ;) so to speak.

LMK
Voltaire:

holachicka

As a wise man said a few posts earlier - HELLs YEAH I am in!!!!!!!

Hookup

This idea is PURE GENIOUS... what a great thing you're doing... Maybe we need to start a SS blog that has a schedule and photos of the project tank...???

dan2x38

To make note wouldn't look for or ask for any freebies... :) Just be cool to have exposure to such experience! That is pretty good payment. OH did I not already say, "no matter how you do this it is awesome thanks guys!" Workshops like this are few and far between then when they are there is usually a cost.

You can start a Blog and/or photo series on The Cafe NP.
Voltaire:

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

redbelly

Thanks guys, sounds like it is a go for sure then.

We thought up this idea over the winter and have been waiting for it to get nice out to be able to actually do it. With how busy it is a SS it was just not possible over the winter though. Plus doing these things outside in the sun over some good convo is always more fun anyways.

I think the idea though will be to start with a tank and build it all the way to completion. Once the tank, stand, sump plumbing etc is complete we will probably put together raffle tickets or something similar. We would only sell just enough ticket to cover the cost of the tank and stand and raffle it off in a complete package but this would be done in an entirely not for profit type fashion.
Or maybe we will just build up tylers new 75g tank so that it actually gets done this year :P

Dan we could see about doing your tank at the same time, but whatever tank we built we would be keeping right until the end to show the full build.
We would be happy to blog it on your site Dan too if you welcome the content - it would be nice to have this info posted somewhere else.

I have not actually decided if we would build a sloped overflow like on my tank or if we would build some custom internal durso pipes like on Hookup's tank.

dan2x38

Quote from: redbelly on May 18, 2010, 06:29:19 PM
Dan we could see about doing your tank at the same time, but whatever tank we built we would be keeping right until the end to show the full build.
We would be happy to blog it on your site Dan too if you welcome the content - it would be nice to have this info posted somewhere else.

OK not my tank then I need to bring it home... ;)

Sure let me know your thinking for the blog/photos/whatever we can customize something for it if you want? Pretty open for an idea/s...
Voltaire:

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Tyler.L

yeah lets build my tank sounds good to me but everything i want is free, all aussie rock, ati, octo cone skimmer, 6 mp10s, live stock then we raffle it off back to me sounda great thanks every one

dan2x38

I will win the raffle Tyler and only need one ticket...  :P This sounds like a lot of fun and we get to enjoy it with Trina's Pea-Con Buttertarts... LOL

OH HChicka how was your buttertart? My 10 were great... LMAO
Voltaire:

Hookup

Dan, you were there?  I'm sorry for not trying to find you and say hello.  Sandy and I showed up a bit late, on the motorcycle.  Next time (not next weekend, we'll be at the cottage)...

Tim

dan2x38

I saw you guys just didn't know it was you. Hard to identify each other without knowing the others online handles. I saw your wife collecting some fresh mint compliments of Trina & Pat. You were talking about the noisey pumps that sounded like sewing machines... LOL
Voltaire:

White Lightning

I would be really interested in something like this since I am setting up a 125 gallon from scratch. It's not going to be drilled but the aquascaping part has me very interested. I would love to learn about how I can properly put my rock formations together using zip ties or whatever method is best suited.

holachicka

Dan - Thanks to you and a few other greedy people, I only got to eat ONE buttertart....sigh...oh well, Thank goodness Trina will be making more this weekend seeing she did not even get to try one :D :D

As for the tankbuild and raffle...I CALL IT!!! It will be mine....all mine!!! YAH - I will finally, after 6 months, have a tank again!!! yu-pie!

Tyler........nah, forget it!

RoxyDog

Quote from: redbelly on May 18, 2010, 06:29:19 PM
I think the idea though will be to start with a tank and build it all the way to completion.

Are you (or someone else there) able to build a stand and canopy too?  Like literally just start with a tank and go?  DIY lights?  How about you build the tank too?  :) 

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Hookup

I know there are many people who can build the structure for a stand, and probably quite a few who can skin-it out to make it look like a finished product.

Purdy neato.

Severum

If this is from scratch than we need to make the glass ourselves too.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

holachicka

redbelly

Quote from: RoxyDog on May 19, 2010, 09:25:16 AM
Are you (or someone else there) able to build a stand and canopy too?  Like literally just start with a tank and go?  DIY lights?  How about you build the tank too?  :) 

I am certainly not a pro stand builder, but I can build a stand that would support a freakin tank and house a tank below it. Skinning the tank is pretty easy too really, so yeah we will build the stand from scratch, using poor quality but readily available Home Depo wood.

We could do a custom tank build but that alone would chew up like a full month as you have to do one part and let it sit, then another and sit and another..... so yeah it would take about 3 weeks just for the tank build and realistically how many people are going to build their own tanks vs building their own stands, canopy, plumbing, bonsai aqua scaping etc.

DIY lights, there is really no point. The cost of fixtures has come down so much its the same price to buy a kit as building on your own. The icecap retro kit is cheaper than buying the parts seperate and the retro kit is plug and play! The aqua medic 2 x T5 HO is also cheaper than buying the parts seperately, so IMO the days of retroing your own lighting are in the past. Plus with a retro setup if it catches on fire your not covered, but thats another storey.
Maybe other feel differently though...
Do people really want a retro lighting day?
I could try and find an electrician to do this demo.

JD

Quote from: holachicka on May 19, 2010, 09:15:47 AM
Thanks to you and a few other greedy people, I only got to eat ONE buttertart....sigh

Ahh Ummmm, you told me you had 5 butter tarts.  :-)

Perhaps that's the new math you are using.

1 + 1 = 2, 2 + 1 = 3, 3 + 2 (that no one saw) = 1, ya ya, that's it!

Severum

Don't you know anything JD! The ones no one sees you take get subtracted from your total.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

RoxyDog

By DIY I actually meant a retro kit, I'd be scared to do total DYI lighting.  :-[  

Just wondered if you would go that way or use a fancy shiny light type thing.

redbelly

The icecap retro system which is by far the best is literally plug and play, but yeah we could easily do a lighting day to show how to put up several different types of lighting in one day. Its just not much to really show for the day but thats fine, more social time!

I really only got one butter tart and no hot dog, but thats cause I was busy talking too much :)
Yeah hopefully Trina will make some more this weekend.

If anyone else wants to bring a snack of food they are more than welcome too as well!

Lets see if someone can make some better desert rolls than Tyler.

I know Tyler was talking about a JERK chicken cook off, what did he call it again?....

dan2x38

Quote from: holachicka on May 19, 2010, 09:15:47 AM
Dan - Thanks to you and a few other greedy people, I only got to eat ONE buttertart....sigh...oh well, Thank goodness Trina will be making more this weekend seeing she did not even get to try one :D :D

As for the tankbuild and raffle...I CALL IT!!! It will be mine....all mine!!! YAH - I will finally, after 6 months, have a tank again!!! yu-pie!

Tyler........nah, forget it!

Just like the butter tarts I will beat you to the punch... LOL I said I had 10 now I think of it I think it was 12... ROTFL

Maybe this SS I will bring something special? ;)

OH maybe she counts like this - one - another one and another one and another one = one yeah that's it... ;) LOL
Voltaire:

redbelly

Yeah Dan, if you could bring somethingthat would be great.

I know Alex brought some cookies last weekend that were pretty tasty!

Hookup

PHOTOS?  WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?

(I think it's awesome that I can do that to someone elses thread)  :) ;D ;) :D :) ;D ;D

redbelly

Severum

Quote from: Hookup on May 20, 2010, 02:15:56 PM
PHOTOS?  WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS?

Agreed. I'm still waiting for the one of Hookup which with I will create a side by side comparison of his Hollywood look alike!
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

holachicka

Severum will be bringing burgers - hells yah baby!!!

As for all of those NOT FUNNY accusations about me having more than 1 buttertart...pouf, all lies I tell you...unless you have any pictures, you can't prove a thing!!!!!!

JD

Quote from: holachicka on May 20, 2010, 04:08:11 PM
As for all of those NOT FUNNY accusations about me having more than 1 buttertart...pouf, all lies I tell you...unless you have any pictures, you can't prove a thing!!!!!!

Waaaaaah!

alongfortheride

Looking forward to S.S tomorrow morning.
Buttertarts are baked and ready for consumption - so Holachicka and Severum, you better show up early or you risk missing out ;)
Looking forward to Hamburgers from Severum and Sausages from Dan....
I think it will be a GREAT long weekend S.S!

dan2x38

I will be there before HChicka... LOL so she better not complain if she only gets 6 or 7 butter tarts (again)... LMAO x1,000 Repeat after me, "Pea-Con" ;)

Other note I got a crap load of cheato still - Who wants some FF? I will check before I leave for replies.
Voltaire:

Tyler.L

dan i say bring a bunch of it and leave it because after everyone leaves people still keep coming looking for cheato so it will move in the day regardless so might as well bring a bunch my man

holachicka

Ok, so, I showed up AFTER Dan and still got my fill....yum yum yum, those buttertarts are freakin' awesome, thanks Trina!!!! And Dan, those sausages were wicked good, spicy yet really tasty :)

Again, always super friendly and a great time was had!

I look forward to a full summers worth of these great get togethers :)

dan2x38

Wow what a tank build talk today! Really got a lot out of it did all the rest of you? ;)

Yes - HChicka those sausages were freakin' hot! I didn't stop sweating for an hour and half afterwards! BUT I'd have had another if you hadn't eatten the last one... :( LOL Just teasin' ya. If I wasn't picking on you I'd being picking on Tyler!  ;D Those burgs you guys brought sure looked good. I was to full from all the butter tarts I ate to have any room for one.  :o
Voltaire:

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

alongfortheride

Ok, so I have been behind on posting pictures from the past few Salty Sundays - but check them out below and on Facebook - feel free to tag yourself :)

Vincenzo.

lol@me in some of those.

jamie & taryn had a good laugh.

im sure ill be by tomorrow...im expecting the finest Kona Coffee. :D

redbelly

Nice see you tomorrow vince!
Its a Cuba coffee this week too btw. We have been out of the Kona for a while but yeah the Cuba coffee is really nice too.

We got a gazebo thing this week so we are well protected from both a light rain and the sun now on the patio!
Now we just need some more chairs....

Oh if anyone has an chaeto could you please bring it for Rodney. He needs literally as much as he can get!

Vincenzo.

anyone need filter floss? .............. i picked up a crap load at walmart in the reduced section..... i for like 15feet x 4feet for under 5$....

i'll see what i got for chaeto.

dan2x38

My cheato is to low to bring any after 2 weeks of bringing bunches. Next couple weeks should be crap load especially after I finish the upgrade to the larger setup.
Voltaire:

alongfortheride

Some more pics from a couple of weeks ago....
Again they have been added on our facebook group :)

alongfortheride

alongfortheride

What isn't there to love?
Great people, great food, great conversation and all based around a hobbie which we all enjoy; marine aquariums.

Don't forget there will be a Salty Sundays this upcoming Sunday - just with store bought treats :)

Bring yourself, bring your significant other, bring your kids - great time on the patio and free mint plants to everyone who comes! (and yes the mint is mandatory at this point)

dan2x38

What is the Facebook page I forget... D'OH

:'( no butter tarts?

How about a new chair? LMAO "Ouch!" Ha-Ha Jessie missed it.  :P

Should be some fun & interesting convo this SS.
Voltaire:

Vincenzo.

dan2x38

Quote from: Vince. on June 08, 2010, 10:36:22 PM
in the facebook search bar, just type in Salty Sundays.

I did nothing was found. Does someone know the exact URL?
Voltaire:

salvini55

Can somebody come kick me next sunday morn so I get up in time to come to SS  ;D

dan2x38

Quote from: salvini55 on June 10, 2010, 11:42:13 AM
Can somebody come kick me next sunday morn so I get up in time to come to SS  ;D

Ask your Mommy... LMAO x 1,000
Voltaire:

salvini55

I would but she is blind and that would prolly result in me getting a few teeth knocked out lol

alongfortheride

Thanks for the GREAT Salty Sunday Everyone!
Nice to see over 20 people out today!
Especially those people we have missed :)

Pics will be up soon.

dan2x38

1) On Sunday anyone want some cheato?

2) Have lots of aquarium magazines. Will bring some if anyone is interested?
Voltaire:

redbelly

Yup, I know Rodney and Roger need cheato so if any and everyone can bring as much as they can spare that would be great!
Their 4'x4' fuge will take a fair amount to fill.

I have pics worth posting up here. I have no idea why last weekend somehow became the "look pretty for the camera weekend" but it did.

Vincenzo.

lol@pat, thats funny man.

good idea at having a picture topical. next weeks topic: Scarfing-Out-On-Food :D

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

alongfortheride

Everyone is welcome, although it does say "Salty" Sundays there has been a fresh water enthusiast stop by from time to time :)
Hey - we all love Aquariums and Fishies...right?

redbelly

I have a good one of you too vince but its from the weekend before last
:)

redbelly

Anyone want to see a pic of Tyler when he has been up for 24 hours and is crashing from redbull while unpacking this last crazy order?

holachicka

Quote from: redbelly on June 17, 2010, 12:40:03 AM
Anyone want to see a pic of Tyler when he has been up for 24 hours and is crashing from redbull while unpacking this last crazy order?

Hells ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holachicka

Quote from: redbelly on June 16, 2010, 10:08:09 PM
Yup, I know Rodney and Roger need cheato so if any and everyone can bring as much as they can spare that would be great!
Their 4'x4' fuge will take a fair amount to fill.

I have pics worth posting up here. I have no idea why last weekend somehow became the "look pretty for the camera weekend" but it did.

Ah, because someone (Trina) decided to bust up their toe and someone (moi) took pics ;)

holachicka

Quote from: redbelly on June 17, 2010, 12:37:51 AM
I have a good one of you too vince but its from the weekend before last

ah, what is this Tyler?! Why are you looking at Vince with eyes I thought were reserved only for Vaf???

This must have been while I was in Cornwall - aww, I hate missing SS... :)

redbelly

This is a pic of one very tired Tyler Durden!

I think this is about 20 min before Tyler stopped speaking English

Vincenzo.

Quote from: holachicka on June 17, 2010, 09:30:08 AM
ah, what is this Tyler?! Why are you looking at Vince with eyes I thought were reserved only for Vaf???

This must have been while I was in Cornwall - aww, I hate missing SS... :)

LMFAO..................

TYLER FAILS.

dan2x38

Tyler your shoulders must be wider than I noticed since your carrying the entire load this bunch is puttin' on ya!  8)
Voltaire:

Severum

If it wasn't for the peace sign I wouldn't have even noticed Tyler standing there...  :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

redbelly

One chinese rebdulls later though and he was back to the regular Tyler "brrraaaaa, brrrraaaa, brrrrrraaaa"

alongfortheride

Don't forget about Salty Sunday this weekend.
I have a Key Lime Angel Food Cake for tomorrow :)
See everyone here!

ordi260

Oh yeah I would... oops i mean my father would love to get some crazy corals...even if he doesnt have a tank   ;)

Ill bring some spicy italian sausages!!! Six of them but I guess that in order to fit them in a hotdog we could frag them and end up with 12...too bad they dont grow back  ::)

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

redbelly

Nice!
Spicy sausage is excellent for breakfast.
We have sauerkraut on stand by

alongfortheride

We have done our best to be eco-concious and make "Salty Sundays" an eco-friendly event (I like my green bin ;))

I just wanted to share with everyone the news that we have finally found good sturdy paper coffee cups to go along with the paper plates for "Salty Sundays"!
This means that all our waste from "Salty Sundays" from the coffee grinds to the plates can go into our green bin and be composted every week!

Every little bit counts and please keep this in mind and deposit your items in the green bin instead of the garbage once you are done with them.
As always, please remember that your forks and knives can go in the blue recycling bin as well :)

dan2x38

See all the following SS we are off to the Laurentains tomorrow morning. Trina hope you don't make butter tarts. I swear I didn't eat 12 it was Jessie. :o Honest! ;) Have to catch up with the pictures when I return. Maybe I will bring more hot susages for Pat again.
Voltaire:

holachicka

Quote from: dan2x38 on June 29, 2010, 11:36:59 AM
See all the following SS we are off to the Laurentains tomorrow morning. Trina hope you don't make butter tarts. I swear I didn't eat 12 it was Jessie. :o Honest! ;) Have to catch up with the pictures when I return. Maybe I will bring more hot susages for Pat again.

Hey Dan, if you will throw me under the bus, do it right...I ate FIFTEEN....!!!!!!!

haha

Have a nice family trip and yes, I will permit you to bring more of those spicy hot sausages :)

dan2x38

Quote from: holachicka on June 29, 2010, 01:42:10 PM
Hey Dan, if you will throw me under the bus, do it right...I ate FIFTEEN....!!!!!!!

haha

Have a nice family trip and yes, I will permit you to bring more of those spicy hot sausages :)

You'll permit me. Why thank you...  :P

I am glad you finally fessed up - it's about time... LMAO
Voltaire:

redbelly

Cant wait for SS this tomorrow, the weather today was just amazing!
Its a good thing we have the canopy out on the patio now witth all the sun we are getting.

And we really need to get this tank build thing started so thets figure that out this weekend!

redbelly

Here are some pics from Salty Sundays last week:

redbelly

Oh and lets not forget the very hot topic from last SS.

This one nearly got some excellent comments from people passing by and nearly caused a couple accidents ;P

Nice catch though Kevin!

dan2x38

Kevin thought it was catch and release?

See ya all next Sunday. Does any one like spinach dip with a bread bowl? What bread would ya all like pumpernickel, rye, French or Italian? I will bring it next SS - if it is OK with Jessie?  :-\ Maybe someone can bring some veggies?

Voltaire:

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

dan2x38

Those who didn't make it missed out on this-

Voltaire:

alongfortheride

It was super tastey Dan!
Where were you Ordi?
And nice to meet Nyx and her husband today!

Looking forward to some more nicer weather Salty Sundays!

Nyx

It was really nice to meet everyone and we got so much helpful information and suggestions. Gasp and I are looking forward to going again! :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

alongfortheride

Just a quick reminder to everyone that Salty Sundays is tomorrow - come and sit on the patio, enjoy some coffee, some off-topic conversations and some tastey treats :)

dan2x38

Voltaire:

alongfortheride

We will be having hotdogs for lunch and cinamon buns for our treats :)
I will be baking something special for next weekend - not sure what yet :)

JD

Both Cindy and I would like thank Trina and Patrick for their generous hospitality. It is nice to be welcomed into someones home and business without any ill intentions.

Great luck with your future prospects.

J & C

dan2x38

Quote from: alongfortheride on July 18, 2010, 02:46:40 AM
We will be having hotdogs for lunch and cinamon buns for our treats :)
I will be baking something special for next weekend - not sure what yet :)

Maybe I will bring another something. Ideas?  8) After all folks the door closing Salty Sundays.

Trina I vote for bttertarts of course!!!  ::)

Aren't Salty Sundays still staying at your doorstep guys? That's the way I understood it. Like the idea of Pat's coffee at Fish Tail for shopping but might be costly?  8)
Voltaire:

alongfortheride

Yeah, don't worry, Salty Sundays will be remaining on our Patio - with the wonderful tomatoes, herbs, mint and flowers surrounding us :)

The great thing is there will still be offering the friendly advice, the tastey snack, Pat's coffee - just no shopping here afterwards - we will have to venture other places for our fishy fix ;)

alongfortheride

Pictures will be posted on Tuesday :)
Thanks for a wonderful, carefree, friendly meeting of minds - every Sunday morning reminds me of what I love about the hobby - the hobbyists :)

holachicka

Cant wait to see the pics with some very cute, funny, friendly and above all else, AWESOME people wearing some funny looking things on their faces ;)

Today, as in every other SS, I had a blast hanging out with people I consider friends :) And can you believe it, I was FIRST today, not last, to arrive, lol

alongfortheride

Hey everyone. Just a reminder that there will be no salty sundays this holiday long weekend, but they will resume the weekend after.
Enjoy your holiday everyone!

alongfortheride

My parent are in town this weekend and we have been speaking about doing breakfast out for awhile.
So the plan is to go to Wildwood's in Stittsville for breakfast on Sunday for Salty Sundays.
The plan is to meet at 11am for breakfast.
Please notify me by Friday at 9pm if you will be attending so that I can make reservations.

Here is the breakfast menu;
http://www.wildwoodchophouse.com/breakfast.html
Here are the direction;
http://www.wildwoodchophouse.com/directions.html

dan2x38

Wow great place but bad timming for me... :( iI there is a next time I would likely be interested. That is a great menu my mouth was watering reading it...  ::)
Voltaire:

Nyx

Bad timing for us, too. We just bought our new car but are awaiting delivery. Since our present car is our trade-in, we're kind of avoiding driving it, just in case anything happens to it between now and actual trade-in time.  :D
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

alongfortheride

Since we didn't frazzle our server too badly with our group of 17 :D and since I absolutely adore brunch...
We have decided to do Salty Sundays at Wildwood's in Stittsville for brunch.
11am seemed to work well for everyone, so let's stick with that.

Please notify me by Saturday at 6pm so that I can make reservations, but don't stress if you forget to reserve your spot, we grew from 11 to 17 without a stress (we were almost a full section wide ;D)

Here is the breakfast menu;
http://www.wildwoodchophouse.com/breakfast.html
Here are the directions;
http://www.wildwoodchophouse.com/directions.html

johnrt

Over Carp river
and to WildWoods
to Salty brunch we go.

The GPS knows the way
to carry the sleigh. . . OK, that all I've got.

Brunch sounds fine. Stephen is in Waterloo this weekend and will not be joining us.

See you Sunday.  John T

dan2x38

Will check with the wife see if she wants to go? Anyone talk non-fish to her?  8)
Voltaire:

alongfortheride

Were you wondering where we went?
Well, first MACNA 2010 in Orlando, check out some pics at;
http://reefwholesale.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1488
Then, Patrick and I took a much deserved vacation to Hawaii :)
But to see those pics and snorkeling videos you will have to come out to Salty Sundays ;)

Yup, that's right - Salty Sundays is still  happening!
We may have closed the retail side of our business, but Patrick and I are still happy and eager to share our love of aquatic life with fellow hobbyists.

In case you are new to the Salty Sundays idea - just bring yourself over to our patio between 10am-noon on Sunday for some fresh coffee, baked goods made by me and some great conversation - some fishy related and some not.
This weekend we will be featuring a Hawaiian grown coffee for everyone to sample - MMmmmm!

Young and old are welcome - hope to see everyone this weekend!
You are of course welcomed and encouraged to bring some tastey treats to Salty Sundays as well.

redbelly

We will have to watch the weather forcast though because if its like today we would end up with a Soggy Sundays get together ;P

holachicka

have you ever thought of maybe making it a little later?! I mean, it would sooo not be to accomodate  me becacuse I have never had problem with making it on time....but maybe for those who have a hard time making it on time due to staying up till 4am playing Catan or Starcraft 2 :)

ordi260

Haha nice Starcraft 2 and Catan  8)

I have a test on sunday  ???   So i might me able to make it to be there around 11 if the test is easy  :-\

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Severum

Forecast for this weekend looks good. Its just getting out of bed thats the issue.

Odri, PM me your Starcraft info (if you have it). I'm tired of teaming up with noobs like Tyler and carrying them on my back all game.  ;D
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

holachicka

oh god, why did I even say anything....hopefully this wont turn into a geekfest! ;)

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

holachicka

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...*gasps for air*...noooooooooooooooooooooooo

dan2x38

God what a bunch of Geeks... LMAO I perfer turned based games takes a little more thought...  :P Right alongfortheride8)

Yeah later would be cool.... I will miss it again my son made the A team - so proud of that kid!!! he's worked so damn hard to make it... oh sorry proud father blowing his son's horn... back on track... Any ways hockey is here he has an exhibition game Sunday morning not available until after 11:30am and sure would like to attend... also love to taste that fresh Hawaiian coffee!!!
Voltaire:

redbelly

Quote from: 10gnano on September 29, 2010, 01:15:43 PM
are you still selling frags??
We dont sell frags, corals, drygoods or anything at all in any way anymore.

BUT other hobbiests are more than welcome to bring frags and such to trade or sell. If your looking for something just post it up!

I actually am looking for some pulsing xenia.

alongfortheride

Dan - I am sure we will still be around after 11:30am :)
Especially cause I think Jessie and Vafa won't be in till around that time ;)

We have LOTS of Hawaiin coffee and I am sure we can brew some next weekend as well.

10gallon nano - as Patrick mentioned, we no longer sell ANY items retail, but you are definitely more than welcome to do some frag swapping at S.S. if people want.

Any requests for specific tastey Trina treats this weekend?
I know I love your homemade cookies Jessie ;)

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

alongfortheride

Quote from: dan2x38 on September 29, 2010, 02:07:41 PM
God what a bunch of Geeks... LMAO I perfer turned based games takes a little more thought...  :P Right alongfortheride8)

Yeah I do have to admit that Civilizations and Final Fantasy are my games of choice.
However, I have avoided some of the online games cause I am worried I would like them too much ;)

alongfortheride

Thanks for a GREAT Salty Sundays guys!
I especially love the impromtu location change to Coras - that was a 4 hours Salty Sundays! Our longest yet!

10gnano

well that sucks that you guys got out of the business. me and a crew of salties were planning on coming up from the valley

alongfortheride

You guys are more than welcome to come by Salty Sundays and then head off to some of the Ottawa Valley stores :) The more the merrier at S.S.:)
Just always make sure to check in before you come down for S.S. There is always the occaisional weekend (like thanksgiving) that we will not be around due to family commitments.

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

alongfortheride

We can't host Salty Sundays this Sunday due to Thanksgiving and Turkey eating - but someone else is more than welcome to host Salty Sundays this Sunday.

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

holachicka

Understandable - hanging out with fish geeks or seeing family you don't see that often?! Not really a toss up ;)

Hope you all have a great long weekend!!

Hookup

I would like to host an upcoming SS at my place.  It cannot be this weekend, because of the holidays and the next few weekends are either personal conflict or work/travel issues.

This is way out there, but what about Nov 13????

I think by then the tank should be done.  :D

redbelly

I think you should host one sooner Tim. The topic of that SS could be "How To Take Down Drywall and Install Fancy Wood Paneling and Stainless Steel on The Wall For The Tank!"

HomerJ

Quote from: redbelly on October 07, 2010, 05:38:07 PM
I think you should host one sooner Tim. The topic of that SS could be "How To Take Down Drywall and Install Fancy Wood Paneling and Stainless Steel on The Wall For The Tank!"

Tank?  What tank?  All I see is a big hole in the wall...

Ok, that was mean ;-b

alongfortheride

Sounds good to me :)
Thanks for hosting Tim!
I will bring some tastey goodies :)

holachicka

awesome - do we get to see the tank with the missing hole? It may have been disposed of or returned but I havent gotten past page 2,892 of your build thread so sorry if it has been mentioned...

Hookup

Quote from: holachicka on October 08, 2010, 08:57:44 AM
awesome - do we get to see the tank with the missing hole? It may have been disposed of or returned but I havent gotten past page 2,892 of your build thread so sorry if it has been mentioned...

Oh no, the missing hole never get's mentioned around these parts... not ever...  (extreme sarcasm)

Yep the goal is to have the entire system running again by that date.  The work continues this weekend fast and furiously....   Next major hurdle is the cement structures.

holachicka

well, I look forward to seeing it all finished (finally, ha) and meeting your cute new puppy :)

alongfortheride

See everyone at Salty Sundays this week - coffee and some home-made apple crisp will be awaiting everyone on Sunday morning :)

We have decided that because we are all busy, Salty Sundays will start to be a bi-weekly event.
There will be no Salty Sundays on Oct 24th, but on Sunday October 31st - we will continue as normal.
Please feel free to let us know if you would like to host a Salty Sundays :)

So the new schedule will be as follows;
Salty Sundays
October 17th
October 31st
November 14th - Hookup will be hosting
November 28th
December 12th

alongfortheride

Christian Gasse has been nice enough to offer his place for this Sunday's "Salty Sundays"
Christian is back from sailing the great lakes with work and will be back in town for a couple weeks again - so it is the perfect opportunity to catch up with him before he sets off on the great lakes again.

I will be posting up directions shortly to his place in Aylmer.

I will be bringing my famous Apple Crisp made from Honey Crisp Apples with me :)

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

alongfortheride

Salty Sundays will start at 10am and go until around noon :)

Christian has some nice surprises planned with a bunch of tastey items :)

See everyone soon!

alongfortheride

What a wonderful Salty Sundays today.
Christian had lots of tastey treats for us today and it was super nice to catch up with people.
Pictures will be up shortly and next Salty Sundays is November 14th at Hookup's place.
Come out to see his new set up.

Hookup

Here is hoping it will be online by then... Lol. If not, consider it a work-party...:)

alongfortheride

Some pictures of some of the decorations and the food from today - didn't get pictures of the people - got too busy chatting :)

alongfortheride

There has been a slight change in plans.
Hookup cannot host Salty Sundays this weekend, so we will return to Patrick and My's favourite breakfast restaurant - WildWoods in Stittsville.

We will meet at 11am.
If you know in advance that you will be coming, so I can make reservations - however please do feel free to "pop in" unannounced as they are good about re-arranging the tables for us :)

See everyone for a Salty Sunday morning :)