New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Idea's and suggestions to problem

Started by Tsukiyomi-sakura, April 02, 2011, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OVAS-Webmaster

The SMF software has a built in Karma option where you can rate people's advice, etc.  It was activated for approximately 1 month several years ago and was abused so bad we removed it.
Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Quote from: OVAS-Webmaster on April 03, 2011, 11:09:11 AM
The SMF software has a built in Karma option where you can rate people's advice, etc.  It was activated for approximately 1 month several years ago and was abused so bad we removed it.

That really sucks, although I could see how it got abused maybe not per say a karma icon, but a page where review about the user can be posted? or something of the sort where more then just clicking a button to change it has to happen, like a detailed post with information?

NanoSF

Yes I think there is a difference between rating peoples advice and rating ease/quality of transactions. When people are just trying to help other and you give them a crappy rating that is just mean and unnecessary, but when you actually have a transaction with someone a rating is justified.

I'm betting 99% of the transactions between members are stand up honest dealings. There will be tons of positive feedback I'm sure.

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Quote from: NanoSF on April 03, 2011, 11:37:40 AM
Yes I think there is a difference between rating peoples advice and rating ease/quality of transactions. When people are just trying to help other and you give them a crappy rating that is just mean and unnecessary, but when you actually have a transaction with someone a rating is justified.

I'm betting 99% of the transactions between members are stand up honest dealings. There will be tons of positive feedback I'm sure.

If maybe not on ovas set up a free parent site moderated for people to have a connection with the same username linking over to OVAS where reviews can be left and such and buyer bewares (within reason) this way mods don't have to deal with it.

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Fishnut

I've dealt with this person too.  I gave him a great deal on a tank...not a big deal for me because I didn't pay for the tank anyways....BUT he made me wait around for him for over an hour in the middle of my work day when I had out-of-office things to do.  Not cool. >:(

Hookup

Quote from: OVAS-Webmaster on April 03, 2011, 11:09:11 AM

So, if at first you don't succeed, never try again?

OVAS-Webmaster

The SMF Karma idea will never be brought back. The idea of anonymous ratings of forum users was/is a horrible idea.

However once the forum software gets updated I'll be looking at other options which might work.

Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

NjOyRiD

Peter willl fix us up, you'll see guys!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

KyleO

Quote from: Tsukiyomi-sakura on April 02, 2011, 10:01:32 PM
wall o' text

I just made him an offer for the tank (I need one anyways), on the condition he repays you your deposit.  Let's see if he accepts.

NanoSF

Quote from: KyleO on April 04, 2011, 01:59:47 PM
I just made him an offer for the tank (I need one anyways), on the condition he repays you your deposit.  Let's see if he accepts.

Wow, that is a very respectable thing to do. Good on you. Some of us others are trying to think of something to do too, but this is a great idea. I would not be surprised if you don't hear back though. He seems to be ignoring anything to do with this situation.

Stussi613

Quote from: KyleO on April 04, 2011, 01:59:47 PM

That was a very standup thing to do and if he's reading this post maybe he'll see that this is a good way to redeem himself in the eyes of the club members.  Of course there are two sides to every story and we don't know the other one, but as a parent my heart goes out to this young lady and her situation in general.
I haz reef tanks.

KyleO

TBH, the whole situation looks like it got messed up due to miscommunication.

He did reply to me with an offer, and I'll be contacting Tsuki to see if she finds it acceptable.

White Lightning

WOW! Good on you for trying to help. I hope this works out to benefit everyone.

Someone gets their money back.
Someone gets a new tank
Someone sells their tank

And everyone lives happily ever after!

RossW

I would argue there are n+1 sides to every store...where n is equal to the number of parties directly involved, the +1 is for the unbiased truth.

Quote from: Stussi613 on April 04, 2011, 04:02:51 PM
Of course there are two sides to every story

Stussi613

Quote from: RossW on April 04, 2011, 07:25:04 PM
I would argue there are n+1 sides to every store...where n is equal to the number of parties directly involved, the +1 is for the unbiased truth.

Agreed.
I haz reef tanks.

Fishnut

Mis-communication?  Huh...

I'm so glad that something positive might come out of this!! 

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Quote from: KyleO on April 04, 2011, 04:12:18 PM
TBH, the whole situation looks like it got messed up due to miscommunication.

He did reply to me with an offer, and I'll be contacting Tsuki to see if she finds it acceptable.

Thanks kyle, and it looks like we managed to come to something that everyone agrees with, for those of you a bit confused kyle is my old roommate, and currently my 90gallon is in his living room because I can't move it yet due to my rib, and he's letting me keep it there until I can.