New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Home Made Smoked meat anyone?

Started by bitterman, September 04, 2012, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Smoked this on Monday after curing it in brine for a few days.

A little over 4 hours of cold smoke and then finished on the BBQ to 165 F

The pink colour is due to the Nitrate based cure I used.

Bruce

ajm1961

Wow! Making any sandwiches for the OVAS season opener?  8)
Looks delish!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bitterman

Quote from: ajm1961 on September 04, 2012, 07:18:15 PM
Wow! Making any sandwiches for the OVAS season opener?  8)
Looks delish!

LOL, Probably won't last that long... My 4 year old said it is the only meet she will eat from now on!

Also I'm on a no carb thing so sandwiches are out of the question for me.

I also smoked about 1/2 to 2/3 a block of cheese. Amazing the flavour in only 5-10 minutes.

I used Maple smoke for most the smoking but 1 pan of Wiskey (Old oak Wiskey barrel wood chips)

It started as a 9.5-10 lbs inside round roast with fat on the one side. Piece was cut in 1/2 such that the fat was equal between the pieces.

The spices for the brine were (From memory)

4L of water
3/4 Cup of pickling salt per 4 l of water (only need 2l of brine for what I made)
Pepper (Red, green and black)  1/4 cup
Coriander 2-3 TBS
Mustard seed (ground) 2TBS
garlic powder 1/2 TSP
cyan pepper   1/4 TSP
Hungarian paprika 1 TBS
cloves (very little) 6-8 cloves ground
allspice 1/2 TSP
oregano 1 TSP
Nitrate cure (This is required due to the cold smoking process, you need to follow manufactures recommendations for amount)

I also used a mix of the same spices as a rub after the brine stage was completed before it was put in the smoker.

4+ hours of cold smoking.

Finished on the BBQ @ about 250F till the meat hit 165F internally (added a bit more smoke, hot smoke this time using a smoke box)

Let the meat cool down before putting in a zip lock back and int he fridge. Next day its ready to be cut.

Bruce

sas

Awesome thanks for posting this.
I'm definitely going to try this.
What type of cheese did you use?

bitterman

Quote from: sas on September 04, 2012, 10:16:21 PM
Awesome thanks for posting this.
I'm definitely going to try this.
What type of cheese did you use?

Just cheddar, Gouda would turn out nice. The trick is cold smoking and have the cheese cold otherwise it can melt. Also seal the cheese in surane wrap after smoking and put int he fridge for a day or so for the flavor to go throughout.

Bruce  

Greatwhite

Well, that does it...  A smoker is now on my shopping list...  After my complete kitchen reno.

redbelly

Very Nice!
I have not tried a nitrate cure before, but I have never cured with the intention of making shaved roasts like this before either.

Did you make the slicer by hand or with a meat slicer?

Usually trina and I make ribs, chicken, pork tenderloin or pulled pork.

My fav combo so far for the pork tenderloin has been a 48 hour vinegar based cured, dry rub for another 48 hours, cold smoke for 4 hours, finish off with either a hot smoke or on the grill depending on the size of the drool puddle that has collected in front of the smoker.
Fav dry rubs are coffee based ones, but I am sure that this is no surprise to anyone that knows me.

I tried cold smoking cheese over at Tims place while we were smoking some meat. We didnt look up any instructions, cook times etc. Why would you nead instructions anyways?
Well, you do need instructions sometimes...
Cheese that has been cold smoked for several hours doesnt taste all that great :P

What kind of smoker do you have?

And I hope thats not a gas grill for finishing the roast.

sas

Quote from: bitterman on September 04, 2012, 11:03:09 PM
Just cheddar, Gouda would turn out nice. The trick is cold smoking and have the cheese cold otherwise it can melt. Also seal the cheese in surane wrap after smoking and put int he fridge for a day or so for the flavor to go throughout.

Bruce  

Thanks Bruce will definitely be trying these recipes.
My favorite smoking recipe is smoked chicken.
Basically marinade the chicken in Catalina salad dressing
for a few hours, I do it overnight then hot smoke. It's
to die for!

bitterman

Thanks for all the nice comments. I actually sliced it by hand. using the following knife:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52770&cat=2,40733,40738,52770

I mentioned to a few people at work that I made the smoked meet so sliced some for samples for them as they wanted to try it.

The Nitrate cure is very important if you are cold smoking... Hot smoking it is not needed. The reason is bacteria will grow very fast at say 100F. The Nitrate cure (There are also come Nitrite cures also) are required as they stop the bacteria from growing while the meat is in the brine (In the old days smoked meat and pastrami would be cured in the brine for weeks and then cold smoked for up to a month int he fall when the temperature was right). Without the cure you are risking making people very sick.

I smoke ribs, make summer sausage, smoke fish, cheese and ever make jerky.  I do chicken as well (Cold smoke and then rotisserie) Everyone finds the treats they like best and tailors there recipes to what they like.

As Pat mentioned vinegar is something that can be used in some of the brines/cures. I use it when I make my ribs. The brine I use has upto 2/3 a cup of apple cider vinegar in it.

Bruce

Stussi613

Bruce, what are you using for your nitrate cure, and where do you get it?  I'm going to make some bacon in the next little while and allot of the guys on the BBQ forums in the USA use Morton's Tender Quick, but they don't sell it in Canada.
I haz reef tanks.

bitterman

I have some left from years ago when my dad purchased some.

But I did find this http://estores.wws5.com/stuffers.com/wecs.php?store=stuffers&action=searchadvanced&noform=1&advancedsearch_words=prag If you ordering some I might order some at the same time.

Regards,
   Bruce

charlie

Quote from: bitterman on September 04, 2012, 05:23:47 PM
Smoked this on Monday after curing it in brine for a few days.

A little over 4 hours of cold smoke and then finished on the BBQ to 165 F

The pink colour is due to the Nitrate based cure I used.

Bruce

Bruce i can attest to the good taste - FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!