New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lets test this chat application I setup last night!

Started by bitterman, November 21, 2014, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

lucius

bitterman

Yeah seams to be working well. This is just a prototype.. and not OVAS approved.

This is what it looks like

ajm1961

PM sent to Bruce to understand how he proposes to make use of this tool.

I'm personally not against the idea as long as it can be moderated and things don't get out of hand. Apparently this was a problem in the past.

I appreciate any other views out there as to how they feel this may benefit our online and club communities. Moderators also feel free to post or message me.

Cheers all.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bitterman

For now I have left this up and available for anyone to test out all the time.. But the Room can be shut off so nobody can login. This is helpful for maintenance or if you don't want it open for some reason.

This is room only allows for max 30 people as its free and hosted by chatcave. Its only a prototype for us. Not the real thing... Just a test. Ajax chat is pretty nice. Can post pics inline etc.

Right now I have allowed guests for testing but if this is implemented by the webmaster I would suggest only allowing approved ovas members into chat. This is done with integration to the board. Could even say minimum post count... to use chat... but that's more work.. Guest accounts could be abused...

It will have to be moderated. For this was can do things in 2 ways.

-I believe the forum Rules of OVAS must also be in effect in the chatroom. Problems that occurred in the past were due to no real rules.

-We could have the chatroom on available when a moderator is present. If we do this most likely not get as much use.

-If there is a problem,  people should pm a moderator if a moderator is ot around

-In the chatroom there are controlled for example you can kick someone out temporarily or ban them if they are misbehaving.

-I think having the chat available really be great for people to share also talks like Errol setup with TOM bar were awesome! I think this is something we could bring back and it ad's a lot to the club for very little cost.

-The current version only supports the 2 chatrooms but if the webaster installed this on our server we could have special rooms. For example the exec could have real time online meetings if needed in a lurch..... or if a meeting in person is not available. The exec used to make good use of this in the past.

-I don't think things should get out of hand and if someone does a kick or ban for a week will take care of thinks just like the normal forum.

One of the things I think is the most powerful and usefull parts are webcat/ ask the expert like Errol setup with Tom Bar these are great interaction and amazing for learning. Also so people that may not be able to do a presentation might fell confident to do a online presentation on somthing they have done.

I think we will have to monitor it. Maybe it will bring people back more to the club and make the site even more welcoming.

Bruce

bitterman

I will be in and out of chat throught the mornig for anyone that wants to test things out.

Bruce