New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

150 peninsula

Started by salvini55, September 29, 2010, 03:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

Quote from: Saltcreep on October 25, 2010, 04:51:53 PM
Have you considered a plywood bottom and end panel?  Lots of info online and esay to drill.

ah, not my cup of tea. I like a cleaner look. Im considering acrylic now, easy to drill, clearer than regular glass, lighter than glass, stronger bond than glass and I can easily put an external overflow on it to keep the clean look. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE starfire glass tanks but cant swallow the thought of smashing a tank like tank right now.

redbelly

Dont forget that it also scratches WAY easier than glass too.

I have had a couple acrylic tanks and I will never have one again. IMO they take a fair amount more work to clean off the encrusting algae and you cant clean them with a razor blade.
One of my old displays was an acrylic tank that I purchased used. It scratched a bit and because the acrylic was so hard it took 80 hours to buff the tank perfect!
Then one day a customers child tried to help out and clean the glass with the mag float and ran over one of those little snails and made one heck of a mess of the pane of glass....
Needless to say I didnt bother buffing it out.
And besides that, I always found it to be a pain to clean.

salvini55

thats my worst fear of an acrylic tank  :-\

salvini55

Well i bit the bullet and bought a 150 gallon tank from all glass. It's nothing fancy but it will do for now. Our new house is now scheduled for this may again as oppose to next October so this build will only be up for 8 months. So i won't be "filling" the tank with corals just yet, probably only 4 or 5 colonies of sps for now and a bunch of zenia for our kitchen displays.

The tank is scheduled to arrive Thursday

salvini55

I fought long and hard but now the tank is up and running, still need another rock but otherwise its complete. It actually came close to the rendering in terms of rockwork.  ;D My clam did not make the move, it past last week  :'( I think it may have gotten some air in it while in the rummermaid holding bin... The tank looks sooo empty lol Ive got some crummy cell phone pics ill put up but youll have to wait for the higher megapixle camera  :P

salvini55

here it is, still need to set up the doser as well. The skimmer stripped the tank in one day!! Lost the foam head tonight.

Hookup

That puts the awe in awesome!

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

salvini55

thanks guys, everything is happy and healthy.

Severum

Nice work.

Hows the closed loop working for ya?
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

salvini55

salvini55

The tank is running very well so far. The new SRO xp3000 is simply mind blasting lol. I have a few more cell phone pics to put up. I got the rockscape done bought the biggest rock I could find and its spectacular! The pics dont do the tank justice, the real camera is still in a box somewhere... I also picked up a tube anemone after seeing JD's last winter I just had to have one  ;D I managed to get a decent pic of it somehow with my phone.

White Lightning

Looking sharp Kev. What do you plan on keeping in there? A bunch of damsels perhaps? :D

salvini55

thanks Randy, no the only damsels will be the clowns. snagged a bellus angel today and a chalice frag

White Lightning

Right on! I have to stop reading these tank builds. It's already making me want to upgrade. I'll have to wait for at least six months before I mention that to the boss otherwise she will think I am crazy.

Are you planning on adding more liverock?

JD

Your tank is looking great. I have been thinking about redoing my aquascape with the less is more theme.
Seeing yours makes me think harder...ouch, wait not that hard!!!
Good job.

salvini55

thanks Jeff, Ive always been a fan of minimalist rockwork. On that note this is prolly it for rocks.

The bellus and tang are bestest of friends, they are inseparable lol. shes a beauty

Vincenzo.

Severum

Nice looking fish. If only I had been able to come in and see them.  :'(
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

salvini55

I know, another time i suppose and i just changed my subtrate to diamonds i could have given you a hndfull to seed your new tank...  :P