New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

150 peninsula

Started by salvini55, September 29, 2010, 03:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kole18

I've got some big pcs colony & I'm about to put sale soon , as well swaft too :) lmk .

kole18

I mean about to frag this colony :)

Cheebs

The tank is looking fantastic man... do you have any plans for corals on your sandbed?

kole18

Yup some acans & lobo brain favia those are the most popular  bottom corals :)

salvini55

Thanks phil. I will prolly only have a trio of nice tube anemones on the sandbed. Since my tank is so deep sps would require better lighting to be Placed on the middle tier so i will load that spot up with LPS. If i upgrade to 400 watt MH then I will move the LPS to the sandbed.

salvini55

Ok, I got the ball rolling again! SPS are starting to get their polyps and color back SLOWLY! I spoke too soon about being algae free... I have an attack of bubble algae but I can live with that.

I re-scaped the tank to get better flow and more light to lower portions of the rock work. I loved the old scape so much so this wasn't easy but I think that once the corals fill in it will look stellar.

I lost the tenius and the hoeki but magaged to pull most sps from the dead, this is my best recovery from a crash so I'm happy with the progress. Once the sps start healing up and taking off ill take some underwater photos.

Looks pretty bare with just three fish, in due time... Please comment on the scape

excuse the micro bubbles, the aqua scape putty is making my skimmer go bonkers

salvini55

oh I guess I didnt update here... The tank crashed after dosing antibiotics to remove cyano. The oxygen depleted and killed all my fish but the bellus angel. The SPS got beat to a pulp but I have managed to bring most back from the dead. Only a flame angel, tri color wrasse and the bellus in there fish wise

JetJumper

Scape looks good!  I love the single tall "tree" effect.  that will look awesome once SPS fills in for sure.

I had major cyano in my system and now that the algae scrubber is going full tilt it seems to have gone away.  Now I need to look into the Byropsis in some locations :(  Never a dull moment with these tanks eh?

Are you running pellets?  Just curious.  I was until I couldn't maintain the cyano anymore.  I want to get a recirc reactor for the pellets before I put them back on so I can control the in/out flow but still maintain a good tumble.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Cheebs

I'm loving the scape too, great job man!

kole18

Eh, that sucks trying to removed the cyano as fast as you can do to save your livestock away from algaes outbreak & it leads to disaster. that happens to my old tank before i bought these cyano "snow marine" zeovit I thought would help it just get worse. It ended up loosing my corals & fish, learned my mistake won't buy those products again even if it works for people who used it. I won't risk again, rather do a lot water change & give sometimes slowly to recover my tank, hey goodluck man hope everything to recover happy reef keeping.

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on April 15, 2012, 10:37:29 AM
Eh, that sucks trying to removed the cyano as fast as you can do to save your livestock away from algaes outbreak & it leads to disaster. that happens to my old tank before i bought these cyano "snow marine" zeovit I thought would help it just get worse. It ended up loosing my corals & fish, learned my mistake won't buy those products again even if it works for people who used it. I won't risk again, rather do a lot water change & give sometimes slowly to recover my tank, hey goodluck man hope everything to recover happy reef keeping.

i guess sooner or later cyano's gonna fade

salvini55

thanks guys!  ;D

Jet, I am using vertex pellets in a TLF 150 and an ocean runner 2500 pump. I use a bit less than half the recommended amount for my system and the pump is almost at full till. I thought about doing the recirc idea last year but never got around to it. It seems to be getting more popular. My N03 is .25ppm and P04 is 0.018ppm on hanna though I bet its more like 0.04ppm as of late with the bubble algae popping up.

Id be lying if I said that the Blue Life Cyano RX didnt work, It killed all my fish but it also killed the cyano. I have two strands of cyano left and it is attached to the gorgonian.

I would not recommend antibiotics for a reef tank, I learned that the hard way and payed the price instead of listening to others...

kole18

Normally cyano causes of over feeding & un balance additives or overdose , as well if your light bulbs needs to replace it don't run it, only last 1 yr & some of us still does run until it end:) but you know sump, LR's & cheato helps to reduced all those unwanted stuff mix into your water. I'd find this method works 100%  ;D but takes time though & for sure got better result afterwards :) have good weekend folks.

salvini55

I am a firm believer that unbalanced alk cal and mag create algae problems. ive hit the sweet spot a few times in this tank but something goes wrong and i have to start from scratch over an over. Lucky the sps are still alive to try again. I didnt think i was comming back from this one.

Also good news, the wife okay'd a large FOWLR for upstairs so she can have the big angels and butterfly's and triggers she likes! Woohoo. As soon as i find a good deal on a 125-220 gallon tank ill be setting it up. Already have everything else for the build. So excited

redbelly

Glad you tank is doing better!

Did you loose the granulosa or did it pull through?
Deep waters are typically more sensitive and that was a nice piece!

salvini55

Hey pat hows it going? The granulosa stn but still have a few tips holding on. It fell behind a rock on the sandbed and i didnt notice for a few days and thats what triggered the stn. I have high hopes that it will make a comeback though.

redbelly

Too bad about the granulosa. Its awsome that we are seeing them in greater numbers these days and much healthier pieces these days! Hopefully yours will come back and you can get colors like this pieces from Vivid Aquarium in LA:

You can see the purple in the tips of your piece so chances are that it is the same as this piece.

salvini55

yep thats the one  :) I will be a happy man once it grows to that size!

Severum

Quote from: salvini55 on April 15, 2012, 05:32:29 PM
Also good news, the wife okay'd a large FOWLR for upstairs so she can have the big angels and butterfly's and triggers she likes! Woohoo. As soon as i find a good deal on a 125-220 gallon tank ill be setting it up. Already have everything else for the build. So excited

I think there is a ballin' L-shaped thank for sale that would be perfect for this. Hook it up bro! 8)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

salvini55

Haha thought about that but it wont fit anywhere propper