New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Golf Shirts available for order!

Started by robt18, January 22, 2012, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robt18

Hey everyone,

As discussed is previous meetings, our OVAS golf shirts are now available for order! The golf shirts will be navy blue and feature our OVAS logo along with 'Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society' underneath. They are available by preorder, you can find the link here. Each shirt is $30 each regardless of size.

OVAS shirts will be worn by all executives to meetings and we encourage members to do the same in order to increase club visibility and support OVAS. Also they look pretty snazzy :)

Order now and we will get you your shirt(s) as soon as possible! If you do not wish to pay online you can bring cash to the meeting, please make sure we take down your name and size so we know what to order and who to contact!

Here is the link once more... http://ovas.ca/ovas/about-ovas/ovas-golf-shirts
Pres Rob

bizfromqc

That's great news. Love to play golf and love the aquarium hobby!

Bought mine online  :)

brotherluv

sas

ajm1961

Here's an approximation of what it would look like, based on the manufacturer catalogue description and picture, plus a superimposed picture of the OVAS logo and club name.  Gives you an idea.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bizfromqc

Have we reached the minimum number of orders yet?

ajm1961

As far as I know, we are about 6 short of the minimum order of 24. Perhaps another member of the exec can confirm.
Ideally, it would be nice to get to get the order in in the next two weeks so we can all proudly wear them at the Giant Auction!
So, let's go people - show us some OVAS pride, put in your order TODAY!
Here is the link to the PayPal site (OVAS home page):
http://ovas.ca/ovas/

bizfromqc

I've been lobbying some of the members here to buy a shirt, hopefully we'll reach the minimum order...

ahhh... can't wait for the golf season to start  8)

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on February 05, 2012, 07:24:16 AM
As far as I know, we are about 6 short of the minimum order of 24. Perhaps another member of the exec can confirm.
Ideally, it would be nice to get to get the order in in the next two weeks so we can all proudly wear them at the Giant Auction!
So, let's go people - show us some OVAS pride, put in your order TODAY!
Here is the link to the PayPal site (OVAS home page):
http://ovas.ca/ovas/
Why don`t the club pick up the tab for the  6 required for the order or more, they make excellent door prizes as well as gifts for speakers & possibly sell at meetings , giant auction etc
Regards

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on February 08, 2012, 05:02:29 PM
Why don`t the club pick up the tab for the  6 required for the order or more, they make excellent door prizes as well as gifts for speakers & possibly sell at meetings , giant auction etc
Regards

That's a great idea!

Surely the club has enough money to bring speakers in, there must be some cash laying around somewhere to buy a couple of shirts  ;)

ajm1961

Here's the shirt, women's style...

There's still time to order - get yours via PayPal (see Rob's link at the beginning of the thread) or at the next OVAS meeting.

We're trying to wrap this up in the next few weeks!
Thanks for looking!

charlie

bizfromqc

Have we reached the minimum to put in an order?

ajm1961

No, we have not. We are short by 9 shirts. Unless things pick up by March 4, the day of the GA, we may have to cancel the order and refund those who have purchased shirts.
I apologize if it has taken this long to get the order together.

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on February 22, 2012, 06:35:06 PM
No, we have not. We are short by 9 shirts. Unless things pick up by March 4, the day of the GA, we may have to cancel the order and refund those who have purchased shirts.
Outside of myself ,bizfromqc & the exec.( i`m assuming the execs are buying shirts) how many have commited by buying the shirt?

bizfromqc

Quote from: ajm1961 on February 22, 2012, 06:35:06 PM

It would be unfortunate to have to cancel the order. Yes it would have been nice to get the shirts for the GA but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Why don't we just postpone the order and try to get more people to commit to buying it (next meetings, GA, etc...)

As long as I have my shirt for the golf season, I don't mind waiting a bit before getting it 8)

charlie

My vote is to cancel it now & refund those few that committed, maybe try again in the future if the club can generate more membership with pride.
Errol

Fishnut

There are LOTS of you who go to other fish clubs' events...how many club members went to Ohio in November?  What aren't all of you guys ordering shirts?!  Wear some Ottawa pride when you're away.

Are the shirts unattractive?  Are they too expensive?

Lets go people!!  I want my shirt!

charlie

Maybe the club should try changing the logo to "ovas.ca"

JetJumper

Why is there a minimum order?  I have seen a few sites just searching briefly that do not have a minimum order requirement.  Just a curious question.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Malyon18

I would like to get one but ordering online is always so hard when you are stuck between sizes (M or L) some shirts I take a large and some shirts I take a medium. If you guys could post measurements for each size that would be great.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

Fishnut

Quote from: JetJumper on February 23, 2012, 09:39:45 AM
Why is there a minimum order?  I have seen a few sites just searching briefly that do not have a minimum order requirement.  Just a curious question.

Would you mind sending me those websites?  Are they Canadian or american?  How much i shipping?  What's the premium for not sticking to within their minimums? 

I'm asking because I deal with promo companies a lot and they always have a minimum.

JetJumper

here is one I found off the top of my head:

http://www.wordans.com/local/ottawa-ontario-custom-t-shirt-printing

Right on the side they state the following:

WHY WORDANS ?
No Minimum orders
Spend $85.00, get FREE shipping
No setup fees or hidden costs
Quality tested brands names
High quality printing

ajm1961

JetJumper: Thank you for the information. We'll look into it.
In the meantime we will take orders until March 4th.

This thread was not meant to debate minimum orders but rather to promote the sale of the shirts.
The club is not making any money from this initiative, it was simply to promote our club and provide members with a means to show they belong to a club with a long history and noble cause. I look forward to getting a shirt and wearing it proudly when I go to meetings and to out-of-town conventions.

Maylon: As for sizing, I'll look into it. Generally speaking, it is better to get a larger shirt than smaller.

Thanks all for your consideration.

Brine

Quote from: Fishnut on February 23, 2012, 09:23:57 AM

Are the shirts unattractive?  Are they too expensive?

I personally hate the collared golf shirt look. I much prefer the straight up T-shirt and I wouldn't pay $30 for a t-shirt. Perhaps others feel the same? A $20 T-shirt would be much more inviting to me...but I may be in a minority there.

bizfromqc

Quote from: Brine on February 23, 2012, 12:53:52 PM
I personally hate the collared golf shirt look. I much prefer the straight up T-shirt and I wouldn't pay $30 for a t-shirt. Perhaps others feel the same? A $20 T-shirt would be much more inviting to me...but I may be in a minority there.

Well if we're asking for opinions here, I'll voice mine as well.

I'm on the flip side. I wouldn't buy a t-shirt for 20$ but I'd definitely buy a collared shirt for 30$ and my pre-order was in as soon as I saw it on the OVAS home page.

It's definitely a personal preference thing though. This might be too late and not feasible but could one be given the choice? Hey, we might even go as far as having caps, t-shirts, golf shirts, etc... I'm sure any self-respecting promo/swag company offers all these options and could accomodate OVAS.

Just my 2 cents.

JetJumper

Another thing that might be cool is to setup this:

http://www.wordans.com/display/why_wordans_shops

You create a selection of styles you would like to sell as the ovas name, then people can order what they want.  Ovas makes a bit of a commission cut to help fund events. :)

charlie

Quote from: JetJumper on February 23, 2012, 01:04:30 PM
Another thing that might be cool is to setup this:

http://www.wordans.com/display/why_wordans_shops

You create a selection of styles you would like to sell as the ovas name, then people can order what they want.  Ovas makes a bit of a commission cut to help fund events. :)
That is exactly what i looked into 2-3 yrs ago, but unfortunatley it`s one of the things that got pushed to the back burner .

ajm1961

That is a cool concept. I couldn't find any embroidered products though. Only printed T-shirts.
What we are offering is a good quality embroidered golf shirt. This is what other clubs have offered at conventions. Embroidery lasts much longer than printed logos.

Haven't dismissed the idea for the future though. Thanks for forwarding.

Golf shirts are still available in the meantime, hopefully we can get this together by the 4th.
Cheers my fellow OVASians.

ajm1961

Received another order last night! Thanks Robin!
Keep them coming! Let's make this happen!
Yoo hoo! 8)

Malyon18

Thanks for the sizing it helped, and here it is for anyone interested.

Sleeve Length   Body Length (Back)        Chest Width
S          17.75             28.5                            19
M         19.25              30                               21
L          20.75              31                               23
XL        22.25              32                               25
2XL      23.75              33                               27

washefuzzy

The chest size seems awful small. Are the shirts acutally that small unless they are talking about half the the chest width???

Malyon18

If you take a golf shirt and lay it flat on the floor the measurements are from the bottom of one armpit to the other.

charlie

Quote from: Malyon18 on February 24, 2012, 11:29:18 AM
If you take a golf shirt and lay it flat on the floor the measurements are from the bottom of one armpit to the other.
or even better if you can feel touch & see your impule is greater to buy.
Regards

Saltcreep

Quote from: charlie on February 08, 2012, 05:02:29 PM
Regards

That was a good idea then and it's a good idea now. We're well past March 4. What's going on with this?

ajm1961

A final decision will be made tomorrow.

bizfromqc

Quote from: ajm1961 on March 11, 2012, 08:45:25 PM
A final decision will be made tomorrow.

Excellent, I want my shirt for the SAM auction  ;)

ajm1961

Unfortunately we will not be going ahead with the shirt order, given that are well short of the 24 unit minimum order, having sold only 4 shirts to members, and 8 to members of the executive.

My sincere apologies to those four members who have bought a shirt and waited so long for an answer.

I will continue to explore other avenues for next season, including the "printed T-shirt on-demand" idea from Wardens, or perhaps getting some embroidered stick-on patches that members could apply or sew to any shirt they already own.

For those of you who paid through PayPal, a refund will be processed online, while those of you who paid cash can be refunded at the next meeting.

Saltcreep

How did that change so much from the six shirts you were short on February 5th? People pulling their order back?   Maybe a T-shirt with an embroidered logo would have been more attractive and brought in a minimum order. I know when we order them like that for our cottage owners' association, they always run out - hats too.

ajm1961

Quote from: Saltcreep on March 13, 2012, 11:54:09 AM
How did that change so much from the six shirts you were short on February 5th? People pulling their order back?   Maybe a T-shirt with an embroidered logo would have been more attractive and brought in a minimum order. I know when we order them like that for our cottage owners' association, they always run out - hats too.
I simply miscalculated the total on Feb 5 - also, since we started this, we've had a few executives who have left us.
As far as T-shirts with embroidered logo, I personally can't see how that would have changed the number of interested parties, nor the minimum order required. I have checked with Warden's as suggested by someone else, and their minimum order for embroidery is 30 units.
Perhaps the price was too high? Or people prefer T-shirts? Or people are just not interested in wearing the "OVAS" brand? I will have to do more market research I guess...

Hookup

Please do not think that this idea will never work. 

I think it was one of the very many things that this years executive has done which is both creative and new for our club and I believe that even though the time may not have been right, it is a solid idea we should continue to feel-out and promote again.

I'm not sure of the financial state of the club, but is there a way to have the club buy the shirts and then sell them off over time?  I recognize that we will likely have some shirts left over due to wrong sizes, etc... but over time that would be a wash as more orders were placed and sold... maybe.

I am guessing the budget is too small for that this year, but maybe in future years it is something that could be considered.

bt

Quote from: ajm1961 on March 13, 2012, 12:36:12 PM
Perhaps the price was too high? Or people prefer T-shirts? Or people are just not interested in wearing the "OVAS" brand?

Kind of a combination of all 3 for me.  Objectively, $30 isn't a bad price for a decent golf shirt, but a golf shirt doesn't hold any higher value to me than a t-shirt does.  And in general, I'm just not a big wearer of "pure" branded shirts (ie: the only feature on the shirt is the branding) and generally stick to "event" shirts or shirts with an interesting design that are also branded.

Perhaps someone with some artistic talent could come up with a handful of designs to cover the different kinds of aquarium keeping that incorporate the OVAS branding, or put the design on the back and the OVAS branding on the front in the same position as it was for the golf shirt?

I could probably toss out some ideas (some reasonably original, some not so much like "Kiss my Wrasse"), but I have no artistic talent to follow through  ;D

Saltcreep

Just seems bizarre to me that about 30 cottage owners on a private road can pull this off every couple of years and actually make a few bucks but OVAS and its membership can't even do it once and break even.

bizfromqc

Seriously, members should step up here and support their club!

30$ is nothing compared to the money most of us spend on this hobby. And this if for your own club not some random charity. I'm starting to get a little ticked off at people not stepping up to the plate when needed.

Man up people, buy a membership card, buy a t-shirt and support your club. The advice we get here is invaluable and the people around here are great. It's a no brainer.

Thousands of people on the forum yet less than 100 members and 4 people outside of the exec buying a shirt? COME ON, ENOUGH WITH THE FREELOADING.

Alright, my rant is done  ;)

bizfromqc

I forgot to mention that I'd like to thank everyone who tried to make this happen.

It was a great idea, too bad not enough people jumped on board. That being said. if it ever goes again, rest assured that I will be putting in an another order  :)

Eric

Malyon18

Hookup

wow BT ... I do like the idea of a graphic tee shirt design... I too do not want to wear a shirt with "bob's garage" or any other logo on it like that...  Its just not for me...  I have several work logo shirts that never get worn unless im painting walls or something equally messy where the shirt is destined for the bin after...

but a graphic tee shirt i'd be into...  I really like that idea... assuming the design "did it for me".

Pretty cool spin on this concept... guess someone would have to determine if the primary goal was club advertising, money raising or simply just another aspect of the club to guide the process...

not intending to step on toes, just jumping on board with BT's suggestion of graphic tee's... assuming price was also right...

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on March 13, 2012, 01:30:48 PM
Seriously, members should step up here and support their club!

30$ is nothing compared to the money most of us spend on this hobby. And this if for your own club not some random charity. I'm starting to get a little ticked off at people not stepping up to the plate when needed.

Man up people, buy a membership card, buy a t-shirt and support your club. The advice we get here is invaluable and the people around here are great. It's a no brainer.

Thousands of people on the forum yet less than 100 members and 4 people outside of the exec buying a shirt? COME ON, ENOUGH WITH THE FREELOADING.Alright, my rant is done  ;)
Eric do an OVAs search -"why buy the milk", i think you will have a better understanding  ;D
BTW your sentiments was & is embraced by me  ;D

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on January 23, 2012, 11:21:00 AM
Here's an approximation of what it would look like, based on the manufacturer catalogue description and picture, plus a superimposed picture of the OVAS logo and club name.  Gives you an idea.
Resurrecting the dead. I`m wondering how many of you guys & gals would be interested in picking up some Polo shirts @ the BBQ need to know by this Friday June 15th
Details as follows
approx cost sml - XL approx 25.00
XXL & XXXL approx 30.00 all prices taxes in.
100% 11 oz cotton
Navy Blue with OVAS logo
If interested post here with size.
Thanks

FishBuddy

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

brotherluv

I'd be in for one but can't go to the bbq because I work every weekend...including that one.  Perhaps somehow I could get one dropped of at my work or house...xl...they're blue?

brotherluv

Who do I send the cheque to?  Someone please pm me :)

charlie

Quote from: brotherluv on June 13, 2012, 10:55:53 PM
I'd be in for one but can't go to the bbq because I work every weekend...including that one.  Perhaps somehow I could get one dropped of at my work or house...xl...they're blue?
They are Navy Blue, i`m not sure about delivering, you are much better sending your location via PM & perhaps one of the Execs may be close to you where you can pick it up & pay via cash.
Regards

brotherluv

I've got someone to pick it up for me so I can send a cheque or email money transfer to  someone if we get enough people to order one...

charlie

A limited amount will be available for purchase @ the BBQ this Sunday, be the first to get one & proudly display your support for the best aquatic club in the Ottawa & Valley.
Navy Blue
100% 11 oz pre shrunk cotton by Gildan.

White Lightning

I guess I missed the deadline but if one is still available, I would grab an extra large.