New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

75 GAL , aquarium (cracked) for $140, good or bad ?

Started by UottawaEngineering, November 16, 2007, 11:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UottawaEngineering

just a note

I do not intend to use this one for fish, i intend to use it for my mass of hermit crabs which have outgrown their current tank.

It also has a flourescent light on the top, a stand, a heat lamp, and a bunch of fake foliage ( perfect for crabs to climb on)

However i know nothing of the value of aquariums, so any assistance is greatly appreciated :)

NOTE::: the crack is on the bottom of the tank, and i intend to put at least 7 inches of sand on the bottom of the tank.

babblefish1960

Sounds an awful lot as though it has everything you require, and to include a stand and a lamp, that seems like a good price.  If the crack is just that, a crack, I don't see why it won't hold your sand.  So in my estimation, spend the money, then you are ready to go. :)

AQUAPHREAK

I would only pay 25 cent to 50 cents a gallon if the tank is cracked!

veron

UottawaEngineering

the person seemed pretty adamant on 200 , only reason hes selling is because of neck injury  ( i saw his lots for bearded dragons a while back)

i was able to get him down to 140 right now.

i could try for 100.

but i can't find anything remotely cheaper (let alone near the same price right now)

and i really need to upgrade my crabitat :(

fyrebull

Way too much for a cracked tank stand and light or no stand or light...just keep your eyes open.... there is no way he is going to get anywhere close to what he is asking of a tank that won't hold water.

UottawaEngineering

What do you reccomend for a fair price on a tank of that size ?

Because ive seen 50 gallon tanks ( non cracked) go for 200 dollars

RoxyDog

depending on the stand, is it metal or wood/plywood, home made or store bought...I don't think it's a bad price? $200 was high, yes.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

UottawaEngineering

RoxyDog

that stand (I have that kind), if it's the 48" one, was hundreds of $$ if bought @ SP.  even when they had their big sale it would have been $100+ to buy.  sure the tank is cracked...so if you're paying $50 for the 75gal tank, that's $90 for the stand and light.  if it's in good shape, that seems good to me?  used metal stands are $50 or so for that size normally or am I way off?   ???

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Heidi

You may want to check some of the local pet stores as well. If there are some tanks that come in cracked on a shipment, they may sell them for cheap. Big Al's in Kanata I know used to have some cracked tanks they were selling for cheap...don't know if they still have them tho...call and see.  I think that $140 is expensive.  Sometimes you can find that for a tank that holds water. If the guy really wants to sell it, he'll lower his price.

Heidi
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

UottawaEngineering

:P unless someone wants to give me a ride to big als , i really have few options :P

Im a uni student who can't take much time to go travelling to pick up an aquarium + the size im looking for isnt very good for transport on a bus ( let alone i live by Ottawa U  so its like a 40 minute ride to big als by bus 1 way)

RoxyDog

he did lower his price, from $200. :)  will the guy deliver?

I seriously don't get why people think this is expensive?   ???  BA has a 120gal leaking tank (almost as bad as cracked!) for $100.  that's 0.83 a gal plus tax.  no stand, no lights, just tank.

UottawaEngineering

the guys car can only hold one piece and he would like to not do it in two trips ( he is somewhat disabled) , he has a neck/back injury that makes driving places tough, and lifting is a no go ( so I would probably need to go there, load them into the vehicles , then drive back to my place with him, and unload them

Nerine

I think it's a good deal...
This is the current prices at petsmart for stands:

$189 for plain wooden cabinet petsmart brand (kinda ugly)
Hagen ones are - $219, $249
$150 for a metal stand for a 55 gal (which you could use for a 75 if it's not filled with water and just use a woodbase)

So honestly, you're getting a good deal as you're getting stand and lights!!! :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

UottawaEngineering

ya its kinda hard for me to check prices right now cause im @ work and have a lot of downtime while im waiting for things to compile/burn :(

and 90% of websites are blocked.

i dunno what to think though >.< many peoples opinions vary so much

Nerine

I'm at work too! I just phoned petsmart to catch up with some old co-workers and find out the prices for myself too! I'm looking for a stand for my 75 as I have the metal one and want a wooden one :)

Do what you want to do!! we were just voicing our opinions ...but if I had the extra space right now, I'd jump on it for me :) I could always use another snake tank and the stand would go perfectly in my living room ;)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

UottawaEngineering

:P i probably will

At least my board is popular though :P

100+ views in ~3 hours :o

now all i will need is a ton of decent substrate for the crabs >.<

UottawaEngineering

Wewt , bought it last weekend. I swear, the guy had soooooo many stairs >.< like 20 steps to get the 75 gal into the car, and of course the only person who could give me a ride was like the smallest friend i have :P

needless to say, it was a fuuuuun time, however the aquarium and stand look nice.

This topic can be closed now :o
thanks for all the advice