New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

48" CF light fixture

Started by artw, May 12, 2006, 09:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

I decided to buy 2 NO shop lights and we'll see how that works.  going back to fundamentals I wanted a low light darkwater planted tank.

I decided to keep this discussion thread but move it into the regular forum.. hopefully there is some information in here people can use.

artw

Good offer but thats only 2.4 wpg..  which I guess is more than I have now (4x40watt) .   I can definately install the sockets and bulbs in my crappy canopy...  if that means spending $60 vs $300 on a real striplight... what do you think? where can I get a ballast?

BigDaddy

Last time I checked 55 x 4 is 220W art, that's a fair bit more than your 160W with the four 40W tubes.  And don't forget, CF put out a lot more light than a NO tube in a similar wattage.  The 55 W puts out almost 5000 lumens, your 40 watts just make 3000.  That's a pretty decent increase in light energy (and yes I know lumens isn't the measurement we look for all you others out there, but its a reference   :P)

Your 90 is only 3 inches taller than my 75.  220 Watts over a 75 gallon I can grow anything.  The same will hold true for you, just that high light carpeting plants like riccia or glosso might not do as well.

Aquaria Canada has the Workhorse 7.  Just one of them will power the 4 bulbs

artw

Cool.   Right.  55x4=220/90=2.4 Thats the math I learned in high school, or maybe I was sick that day.

Does it come with a reflector?

BigDaddy

Quote from: artw on May 12, 2006, 10:25:51 AM
Cool.   Right.  55x4=220/90=2.4 Thats the math I learned in high school, or maybe I was sick that day.

Does it come with a reflector?

Yeah, I just meant to say the numbers say 2.4... the reality is that its much higher (aka CO2 will pretty much be the next thing you'll be looking for).  Compare 12,000 lumen against around 17,500.  So you're looking at 50% more light energy... which tells you a lot more than 60W of extra lighting.

No reflector... I didn't really need it on the 75.  They would, on you 90 however, make a huge difference.  But they are pricey (AH Supply sells 'em for $15 US each... one for each bulb).  But, they would be much better reflectors than what you'd get in a commercial setup.  I think aquaria sells a generic 4 foot reflector you could modify if need be

artw

cool. I'll run it through my small brain. What I really want is a light strip package (like the one that was for sale on here a few weeks ago, doh) so I can do away with my god awful DIY light canopy all together

BigDaddy

Then you want the Coralife Freshwater 4 x 65.

Mucho denaro though....$270 plus tax at J&L Aquatics

bitterman

Art, If you arn't afraid to play with electricity why not do a DIY Overdive.

http://www.geocities.com/teeley2/overdrv1.html

Buy 4 REL-2P32-SC 2 bulb electronic ballasts about $25 at home depot and 8 end caps about $3 a pair and 4 bulbs.
so about $112 + bulbs could give you about 256- watts worth of light.

Hope this helps,
   Bruce

BigDaddy

Quote from: bitterman on May 12, 2006, 02:39:14 PM
Art, If you arn't afraid to play with electricity why not do a DIY Overdive.

http://www.geocities.com/teeley2/overdrv1.html

Buy 4 REL-2P32-SC 2 bulb electronic ballasts about $25 at home depot and 8 end caps about $3 a pair and 4 bulbs.
so about $112 + bulbs could give you about 256- watts worth of light.

Hope this helps,
   Bruce

Because he has a deep tank (24 inches) and NO bulbs really don't hit the bottom of deep tanks well.  Plus, a CF bulb is about 20 bucks and you can run it til it burns out.  Overdriven bulbs need to be replaced much more frequently (almost 4 times a year).  So, after year one, you've already started saving on bulb replacement.  I've had my CF bulbs over my 75 for 2 1/2 years now and spent 80 bucks on them.  If I had ODNO bulbs, I would have probably had to replace them at least 10 times by now.... 10 times what a $4 bulb x 4 bulbs ... twice as much money on bulbs than CF

babblefish1960

Yes, Big Daddy, the cost effectiveness and the longevity make sense as well as the needy plants suffering on the bottom of deeper tanks, but my question here, regarding doing home made hoods, is where can you get the sockets for the cf's in order to take advantage of the better bulbs. And what is a good local source of the requisite ballast for aforementioned cf project?

Artibartfast, this isn't thread jacking so much as fine tuning your query with more detailed questioning, I loved the new math by the way, very esoteric.

BigDaddy

You can get CF or T5 HO equipment (bulbs, sockets, lampholders) at Buchannon, Marchand or Litemore.  Much more reasonable prices compared to the fish stores.  Although, check Aquaria Canada, their ballasts and bulbs are sometimes quite competitive.

babblefish1960

Quote from: BigDaddy on May 12, 2006, 05:44:39 PM
You can get CF or T5 HO equipment (bulbs, sockets, lampholders) at Buchannon, Marchand or Litemore.  Much more reasonable prices compared to the fish stores.  Although, check Aquaria Canada, their ballasts and bulbs are sometimes quite competitive.

Very nice, I shall look into these stores and see what I can find, by the by, have you still possession of any of the electronic ballasts you were selling? And if you did, what were they for, cf or HO T5? I'm just trying to stay away from metal halide at the moment as I have a heat sink for a living/fish room and no A/C as yet, though I do like the shimmer of shadows it puts into the water.
Cheers Ford