New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fuge lighting?

Started by Snider82, January 15, 2010, 08:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snider82

I am redesigned my sump, and now have a small fuge.   I was thinking of getting a clamp on light for it.   all clamp on light fixtures i find are only hold 60W bulbs.      i did however, find "smart energy" bulbs that are 26W.  they are 6500K and 1600 Lumens.  is this enough to grow cheeto? 

Vincenzo.

93GTCANADA

What about getting those underwater lights.

Rybren

I bought my clamp-on light at Cdn Tire.  It is rated for 150W and comes with an 8" reflector.  I'm using a 6500K, 23W Spiral CF bulb that I also bought at Cdn Tire.  Works well for my fuge and the macro seems to be thriving with it.
120G Reef

Snider82

sounds great Rybren.   I live in pembroke,  checked HD, Cnd tire, Wallmart.  all i can find is small crappy clamp on lights, and there all rated for 60W bulbs.   maby im going to pick one up,  and use it untill i can make a trip to the City.

Saltcreep

My bet is that even if your fixture is only rated for a maximun 60 watts it would be fine if you're using CFL twistys. A 23 watt twisty is supposed to equal the light output of a 100w incandescent bulb so you're well within the specs for the fixture.

Snider82

i hear ya,  i checked into it.  it will work fine with the bulbs i have.    but this light i saw online from HD is seksi!

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Worklights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zaqn9/R-100664506/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

J

the wattage on the incandescent fixtures are there to prevent overheating no? Surely it isn't a limit on the current/energy used?

Snider82

yes, your right about that.   but the wires provided are rated for a certain draw (im sure it wouldnt be an issue tho)

really its the reflector tho,   all the ones i find localy are just cruddy reading lamps, and dont have any reflection qualities.     i guess i could get one of the cheapest ones, and use it untill i make a trip to a decent HD or cnd tire.

mikerobart

I have one of these cheapo clamp ons from home depot. Compact fluoro forget wattage. Internal relfector but the reflector that comes with the clamp socket I leave on to adjust bulb more easily.

J

Petsmart has reptile fixtures that are okay.