New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Two months of buying guppies, all dying of a parasite

Started by Erika, September 14, 2020, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erika

Hi everyone.  I am new to the Aquarium Society.  I was referred to this group by a salesperson at Big Al's.  The fellow said you might be able to give me some advice or treatment suggestions.  I am a novice when it comes to fish.  I have always had guppies.  I like a lively, friendly tank.  There is a problem though.  All the chemical levels are within normal ranges, but my guppies look good, strong, and healthy, and then they pull their fins in, stop eating, get thin and die within a day.  Looking online, I think the fish have a parasite?  Where can I get a broad spectrum parasite treatment?  I can't afford to go to a Vet to get a prescription for guppies, really I think the Vet would laugh at me!  Parasite medication isn't sold in Ontario anymore, because of legislation.  How can this be right?  Canada is allowing infected fish to cross the border.  The infected fish are then sold a local pet stores, with the parasites.  The infected fish then infect your healthy fish, and there is no remedy available?  Perhaps, all fish coming into Canada should be quarantined and treated for Parasites, before the fish are transported further into the country?
Does anyone know what to do?  Do I purchase medication online and pray that it crosses the border into Canada?  Does anyone out there have healthy guppies, I think they are referred to as Mutts?  I like when everyone mixes and matches.  It's interesting to see the different variations in the new guppies.

Jody

matttimms49

Hi Erika,

That is really unfortunate, nobody likes to lose fish so I'm sorry that you had to go through this.

It is really unfortunate that the medications got pulled from our local stores. I think everyone is annoyed with this. Jody's link could be useful for future guppy adventures! :)

Calico3

Hi Erika :  So sorry to hear of your guppy problems . Yes I think that you should take advantage of Jody's medicated flakes ( as should I  )  . I think that the best thing that you should do is set up a quarantine tank.  I don't know how big of a guppy tank that you maintain now but even setting up a small 5 1/2  gallon tank with a sponge filter would be helpful . You could run a small sponge filter in the tank you maintain now and when / if buying additional fish take the sponge filter out of your present tank with tank water and isolate the new fish for 2 weeks to a month.  You can feed the medicated flakes to the fish in the quarantine tank.

I now always quarantine my new fish. I had goldfish and without QT unfortunately brought in anchor worms.  At that time I was able ( before health Canada's new regulations ) to buy the correct medication for this problem. . It took more then two months to clear the tank up and I was very worried that other tanks would be infected. Unfortunately you can not be sure that any new fish are disease or worm free.

I hope this is some help and that you have the space to set up a small tank if needed. Keep " fishing " .

lucius

Could also be ammonia poisoning from a fish tank that is not fully cycled yet.

Erika

Hi Lucius,

I checked the ammonia levels, they are pale yellow, on the test strip.  Yellow indicates the ammonia is very low, an acceptable level.  My tank has been going for 6 years.

Thanks for the advice, and support.

Erika

Gowalkitoff

I never had luck with guppies until the ottawa water became more alkaline.  I'd buy guppies for months with a years old established tank, theyd all die.  Nothing else would, though.  What's your ph and Gh and kh?  Temp? Tankmates?

Jody

I do find that I have much better success with guppies and other livebearers since I started using Seachem Replenish to add some hardness and minerals to the water.

Jody