New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ID Please, worms??

Started by jonrath, July 24, 2011, 11:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonrath

Whenever I do a water change and suck off some of the sand I can see hundreds (or more) of what looks like little worms sticking up out of the sand.  The pictures aren't very good but it gives you an idea of what they look like. Are they worms? If so are they good or not? Whatever they are they seem to be multplying, if I move the sand they are absolutely everywhere.  Thanks for the ID and advice.

JetJumper

Means your sand is alive :)

I personally don't know the name of these, but if you want them gone a goby or something that sifts through the sand bed should be able to take care of them,
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Hookup

interesting.. no idea what those are...  if you find out, pls post here...

Cheebs

They may be Spionid/Chaetopterid worms that have built tubes out of substrate. Here is a pic pulled off the net:

They seem smaller/slimmer than the spaghetti worm tubes

Yams

Those pictures make me almost want a Saltwater tank! Good or bad, that looks pretty interesting! The wonderful world of aquariums is full of weird and facinating things, like Worms building tubes out of substrate! Neato!

Greatwhite

Quote from: Yams on July 26, 2011, 10:16:26 PM
Those pictures make me almost want a Saltwater tank! Good or bad, that looks pretty interesting! The wonderful world of aquariums is full of weird and facinating things, like Worms building tubes out of substrate! Neato!

Really, it's not a tube - it's a very complex Jenga set.