New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sebae Anemone RULES!

Started by Greatwhite, November 17, 2011, 12:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

Well, I'm keeping a very close eye on this guy.. He's started moving down again.  Not far, at least.

He certainly seems happy to have the clowns playing in his tentacles, and I don't remember the last time I saw my clowns this happy...  I've had them for about 6 years, and never had a "proper" host for them.  They tried to host a frogspawn when they were little, and loved it to death because of the sharp rock that it was growing out of.

Since then, they've been hosting the side of my overflow....  Good times.. :)

I don't normally like to get livestock that is recommended for "experts only".  I prefer to have things that look nice, and require minimal "extra" care.  If silicone anemones looked better, I'd fill my tank with them....... not. :)

Oh, and what are the odd of this guy getting sucked into a Tunze 6045??  The intact has very thin openings....  I know that if he goes floating around on an adventure, tentacles COULD get sucked in.... but is that enough to cause Fishmageddon?

Peekay

Why would it be end times in your tank if he gets caught?  Some toxic panic reaction?

I didn't even know he could wander to a happier spot.  Pretty incredible, and I think it's dangerous for me to even be browsing these topics!   :)

Greatwhite

I'm guessing that any anemone getting ground up in a power head could prove fatal for a tank...  This species is apparently known for ballooning up and going for a ride on the current, making it more likely than others to get sucked into an intake.

Everything I've read says to watch it closely when it wanders, and it WILL wander...

JetJumper

I had a RBTA that was about 9" diameter.  It found a power head. (Twice) to say the least it got ground up and split into 4 pieces... I have 1 piece left out of that that is still doing well.  No carbon running, no skimmer, no crash of the tank.  I guess its just luck for me..
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Greatwhite

This is what I read when I got this guy...  I am a little concerned that I have T5's and not a super-bright MH light with this anemone... Had I known that it was a Magnificent one, I wouldn't have bought it.

http://www.reeftime.com/reef-articles/anemone-articles/begginers-guide-keeping-anemones/11.htm

I also watched videos on youtube...  This was the most informative (and got the most laughs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKcHygm9GM

You want your clowns to host an anemone??? Be patient.  You can't force anything.  :)