New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

On-line names???

Started by busdriver, November 07, 2006, 12:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

I was helping a friend of a friend think up a wrestling persona for himself. He was trying to make it in some low-brow league down in the USA back when wrestling was over-the-top popular. Good for him he ended up going the route of MMA instead - though I haven't seen him on any big events/shows yet despite the people he has trained with.

ANYWAY... I came up with the nick name 'Heavy Mettle' because of its underlying meaning. He never used it, but I thought it was clever, and used it myself, but online. Eventually I shortened it to just Mettle. And I've been using it ever since for the majority of online forums I'm on. The other name I've used consistently has been 'atari gangster'. And I have no idea how I came up with that one. It just came to me one day and after making an AIM s/n with it, it stuck...

adam_ottawa

Mine's pretty obvious...my name is Adam and I'm from (and still am in) Ottawa.

I'm afraid that I don't have much of an imagination when it comes to nicknames!

busdriver

There's still one name I'm curious about and he's the one person that got me thinking about this.
Unless, of course, that is his real name and then there wouldn't be any need for an explanation.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

rockgarden

In my case, RHAY (my name) was what I used in the workaday world until one of the Wordperfect upgrades wouldn't accept RHAY as a username. That led to various variations but one day I decided that I needed something for my hobby related nickname. 

SO, I like rockgardens particularly perennials (the outdoor flower type); I have SW tanks full of rocks covered in coral (a marine "live" rock garden); now I also have African cichlids and you all know what those tanks contain (hint: rocks);I take photos of rockgardens and rocks among other things; and have been known to scamper up mountainsides on occassion so the name ROCKGARDEN has worked across at least a few forums although for some reason I ended up with ROCKGARDEN1 at the Nikonians photo site and sympatico won't let me use ROCKGARDEN as my e-mail because someone else got to it first :-\.

Ron

akaBillyPrefect

My whole family is William (great grandfather down to me on dads side ) so I'm Billy in my family.  My favourite book is Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams. 

The more interesting character in the book to me was the character of Ford Prefect.. who named himself after a car from London, England, thinking it was the prevalent lifeform on the planet.  I thought the name Prefect was kinda neat, being just that close to perfect and all, so I picked BillyPrefect... which is my email address on yahoo, my sign in name here, on nanoreef, er, aquaria.ca, uhm... I forget, a million different places around the web.

Oh ya, I'm akaBillyPrefect due to forgetting what my password was after registering under a domain I used to own, and didn't bother to check with darkdepp to change the password or anything.

there... phew.

93GTCANADA

used to be my old car. i used to use this name in the car forums so i figured why remember another name. but i am seriously thinking about changing it.

yellowtang

Mine is easy. I love surgeon fish
specially Yellowtangs.......
therefore; it came to be Yellowtang.
cheers.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

beowulf

I have been usuing Beowulf since I first started in the internet around 1990 or so.  Beowulf is the name of the hero in old english poem which happens to be the oldest known in the englsih language.

dpatte

dpatte = David Patte

Its not very original, but its a heck of alot better than my nickname growing up in Montreal... Pâté!

BTW - there is a real advantage of having such a rare family name. I've been able to get my own nick, dpatte, on 99% of the websites i've gotten an account onto!

In fact, I've been able to get it every time, except on Yahoo, and Gmail, where Im davidpatte

but im still wondering who the other dpatte is who beat me on those main sites.

BTW 2 - My Family name is pronounced like Pattee, or Pattie, or Patty (not Pat or Pattay). Its was French and it was originally spelled Patté (with two t's), but the sound changed after a 200 year stint in London England.

BTW 3 - Every Patte i've ever met, or found in any phone book, if they pronounce their name as I do, in any country, they are related to me.

Saltcreep

Hey all,

Well, I'm new here and this thread seems a good place for an introduction. I've been keeping tropicals for over thirty years and have just recently entered the world of saltwater. I currently have nine tanks running. All freshwater except for a 90 g salt tank which is mounted in a wall and a 60 g cube which I'm getting ready for a Lionfish.

As for the name, Saltcreep. I was dealing with an overfill the other day in the 90 g which resulted in the whole front of the tank (and part of the wall) being coated in salt. Just then my nephew walked into the fish room and declared that to be the worst case of 'saltcreep' he'd ever seen. Just thought it would be a clever screen name if I ever needed one, which it turns out, I did.

Great site BTW and I've already become addicted. Spending far too much time here. Is there a DIY section somewhere that I haven't found yet? I've come up with a great idea for an automatic top-up system which, so far, is working flawlessly.

beowulf

Quote from: busdriver on December 08, 2006, 10:28:25 AM
The one name I am curious about is Babblefish1960. ;D

I will take a stab at it.  As mentioned above, the late Douglas Adams has a great book called the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.  In the book the Babblefish is a fish that you insert into your ear and that feeds on sounds waves.  During the digestion process he translates the sound into a language the user understands.  Might it be from that with a birth year added to the end?

Exact definition from the book

The Babel fish is small, yellow and leechlike, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

PaleoFishGirl

You started this whole thread for Babblefish? :D

Notice how it's 3 pages long and he's refrained from posting about it thus far? He must have known you were dying to find out muahahaha!

mseguin

I remember what the 1960 represents but will let jody address it :-)

succinctfish

Ah Matt, you think you know, but do you :D
As far as Babble's name goes, I am the one to ask, as I came up with the name in the first place(except for the 1960 part, that is his mystery  ::):D)

I will say that Beowulf is partially correct: there are three meanings in the name.
I would say more, except I have been sworn to secrecy, and true to my name, must remain succinct ;)

zippity

well with my name it is zippity of course, i use this name too for Purolator.com, and my password isnt far off just in case you want to mess around with it, and my fiancee when it comes inside the bedroom will say "oh wow!!! honey not again you are always done in such a zippity fast time" But then again I am sure you all didn't want to hear that last part...............and it doesn't hurt that I work for Zip.ca.

Heeehaw!!!

Terry

mseguin

Since yuo have called me on it succinct I have no choice but to defend myself. If I recall correctly, 1960 is the year Babblefish first got a job.

succinctfish

Quote from: mseguin on December 09, 2006, 08:07:35 AM
Since yuo have called me on it succinct I have no choice but to defend myself. If I recall correctly, 1960 is the year Babblefish first got a job.

You mistake me Matt, I was not questioning your stellar memory(just think of all those latin fish names stuffed in your head...I am in awe :)), but alluding to Babblefish's obfuscatory abilities ;)

mseguin

ryancarman.com

well because i am a shameless self promoter... that is all

beowulf

I now know the complete meaning but was sworn to secrecy on pain of my and my fishys deaths!!!  :P