New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A bull frog this time

Started by CMW, August 30, 2007, 05:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMW

>:(
Today I have two bull frogs in my pond...in addition to about 3 dozen water frogs.  The bull frogs may be big enough to swallow some of my smaller fish.  I liked someone's analogy of catching rain with a net in regards to trying to control water frogs in a pond...but are bull frogs more of a threat and should I take them out?  I noticed that the water frogs were grouped up in a bunch, hiding behind a rock  :-\.  I take it they are not keen on their new neighbours.

Cheers,
c

babblefish1960

The frogs will eat the frogs, that is why they have come, hence the hiding masses.  Good luck with that, and all the night noise that goes with them. :)

CMW

From your entry I take it that we should not be looking forward to melodious serenades at night???

babblefish1960

Nope, with a vast legion of frogs looking for love in all the wrong places, they will be anything but melodious in their serenades, cacophonous is more like it, crickets on motorcycles are a little worse though, so count your lucky stars and frogs I guess. ;)

The Pond Boy

Hi,

Bull frogs eat everything what is smaller then they are. If it is a fish, bird or other frog, it doesn't make a difference for them. Some pond owners like them because they will eat the baby fish. Other will take them out of the pond and bring them so a "safe" place. It is your choice what you do. I have a pond and have koi in them. I don't want my koi eaten by bull frogs.

Thanks,
The Pond Boy

Greg

CMW

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
The bull frogs have moved out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They may have snacked on some of our froggies, but narry a fish went missing.