New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

String Algae, Pond boy

Started by SouthR, June 12, 2008, 05:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthR

My pond is covered in string algae. I have used bacteria cultures, helps a bit. Now I know pond boy recommends using hydrogen peroxide 35% solution 1 cup per 500 gallons (which I may do, but do not need 20 litres of it, my pond is 5000 gallons, so only need 2.5 litres). The question is does not the hydrogen peroxide kill off all the bacteria (including the good type). If I use it what else do I have to use, another bacteria starter then hope for the best.

Richard

The Pond Boy

Richard,

A one time using Hydrogen Peroxide is possible, but most users are using it weekly, some are using it 2 times a week. So the 20 liter will be gone soon and it is much cheaper then any other algae killer. The Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't kill the bacteria, so it is safe to use it.
Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy
www.thepondboy.com

jpuncher

Try adding some barley straw pads as they will suck up some of the nutrients that algae use to spread. Also, try investing in a UV clarifier/sterilizer. I have used a 16 watt unit for years and it was great to control the algae. These two items combined with some weekly dosing of non-toxix and all natural clear zyme or biozyme enzymes kept my pond clear for me to enjoy my plants and koi.

The Pond Boy

Hi,

Barley straw doesn't suck up nutrients that algae use to spread. Barley straw releases very slow H2O2, yes you are right Hydrogen Peroxide. An UV will kill floating algae but will never kill not floating algae.
Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy
www.thepondboy.com

jpuncher

Hello Pondboy,

Thanks for the clarification on the barley straw. It is true that the UV clarifier will only kill free floating algae, however it will help stop the spread. It is the free floating stuff that spreads throughout the pond. By having the floating stuff neutralized by the clarifier and caught by the filters, it will help reduce the amount in the pond. The Clear Zyme will help with the string algae, however it is not also a one stop solution.

Regards,