New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

newb to the forum

Started by rgauvin, December 14, 2011, 01:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgauvin

I've been lurking the forum for a little while now. Since I am getting closer to pulling the plug on a 20-30 gallon salt water build I figured I should sign up and say hello.... So, um,  :-[ Hello?

Darth

welcome to the forum lots of advice and friendly people waiting to help you on your way! Care to share your idea on the tank ie fish only reef equipent et

rgauvin

I haven't looked into the logistics (or whether everything would play nice together) so please don't laugh, but I think the idea of a cube tank (30 gallon range), with a "mountain" of live rock in the middle with some corral, maybe a snowflake eel, and some other fish (assuming I can find some compatible with the eel). Honestly, the inspiration/idea really came from when I was snorkeling on a reef in Costa Rica and saw a snowflake eel beneath me. It was really incredible to see them in the wild and to just capture a tiny bit of that beauty would be my goal :)

Sadly, I don't think I can get a tank big enough for any of the breed of rays I saw :(

Rybren

Welcome to OVAS.

Based on my own experience, if you have the space and $$, I'd start off with a larger tank.  I can almost guarantee you that within a few months (or sooner) you'll be kicking yourself and wishing that you had a larger setup.  The same goes for a sump.  If you don't start off with one, you'll wish that you had.
120G Reef

delslo

Quote from: rgauvin on December 14, 2011, 01:19:45 PM
I've been lurking the forum for a little while now. Since I am getting closer to pulling the plug on a 20-30 gallon salt water build I figured I should sign up and say hello.... So, um,  :-[ Hello?

Welcome to the forum!

If you are going salt then spend a little extra and pick up a used tank and get a 50 gallon plus tank. The cubes are really nice, offer more fish options, more stable parameters, with a similar footprint to the 20-30 gallon tanks. The biggest issue with a small tank is that all the fish you are going to want, once you get going, you can't have.

Buy used...Go Bigger!!!

Last bit of advice water flow is your best friend!

rgauvin

Quote from: Rybren on December 14, 2011, 03:47:24 PM
Welcome to OVAS.

Based on my own experience, if you have the space and $$, I'd start off with a larger tank.  I can almost guarantee you that within a few months (or sooner) you'll be kicking yourself and wishing that you had a larger setup.  The same goes for a sump.  If you don't start off with one, you'll wish that you had.
as much as I'd love to do a huge tank, I am not sure what the wife will be willing to sign off on ;) honestly, I am pretty sure that space wise, I could afford a larger cube tank, it is the wallet that may not be able to afford it :(

Hey, dumb question, I always thought stands were very important an that if they were not built right, they may not support the tank properly allowing it to flex slightly (compromising the seams and even increasing the odds of a crack) but it looks like lots of people get away with building their own stands with 2X4's and panelling. Is the straightness of the wood 2X4's not an issue? I don't think I'd trust any wood from Home depot to give me a flat enough edge (they always seem to have at least minor curves, bends and/or twists).

JetJumper

Quote from: rgauvin on December 14, 2011, 04:16:11 PM
Hey, dumb question, I always thought stands were very important an that if they were not built right, they may not support the tank properly allowing it to flex slightly (compromising the seams and even increasing the odds of a crack) but it looks like lots of people get away with building their own stands with 2X4's and panelling. Is the straightness of the wood 2X4's not an issue? I don't think I'd trust any wood from Home depot to give me a flat enough edge (they always seem to have at least minor curves, bends and/or twists).

A sheet of Styrofoam helps a lot with this.  It will evenly distribute the weight of the tank across the wood allowing for any flaws to be absorbed by it then strain being placed on the tank.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Rybren

To add on, if the tank has a plastic rim around the bottom, you'll want strong support directly below the rim and along all 4 sides.

You can build a stand out of 3/4" plywood that will support a 200G tank.  Most folks use 2x4 just because it's easier (for most of us)

QuoteI could afford a larger cube tank, it is the wallet that may not be able to afford it

Remember that the cost of the tank and stand will likely be a very small portion of your budget.  Lights, Skimmer, Live Rock, pumps, heaters and Livestock will all add up to a significant chunk of change.
120G Reef

Hookup

There are sunk costs as well.  Salt, replacement bulbs, food, water, power all add up.  It may not be $100/month but the costs are very real.

That said, the difference between a 30gal and say a 55gal is negligible.  However, getting spouse approval for the bigger size is never negligible ..  Haha

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on December 14, 2011, 08:46:27 PM
However, getting spouse approval for the bigger size is never negligible ..  Haha

I thought that was an option   ???

Hmm, I guess thats why mine doesn't like me anymore.. .haha.. sitting around 300+ gallons now.. eek!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

delslo

Quote from: rgauvin on December 14, 2011, 03:36:44 PM
I haven't looked into the logistics (or whether everything would play nice together) so please don't laugh, but I think the idea of a cube tank (30 gallon range), with a "mountain" of live rock in the middle with some corral, maybe a snowflake eel, and some other fish (assuming I can find some compatible with the eel). Honestly, the inspiration/idea really came from when I was snorkeling on a reef in Costa Rica and saw a snowflake eel beneath me. It was really incredible to see them in the wild and to just capture a tiny bit of that beauty would be my goal :)

Sadly, I don't think I can get a tank big enough for any of the breed of rays I saw :(

The rays you are looking at 260 gallon on the low side of things, so ignore them.

As far as the snowflake goes, they are awesome, and they can be kept with almost anything, so long as you keep them well fed and get them small (less than 8"). If you only feed them hurt, bleeding fish, they will only eat bleeding hurt fish. A friend of mine did it and never had a problem. This may have been a singular occurrence, but he swears that two others he knows have done it. You will need rock/coral glue for the snowflake as they will knock over rocks, and a tight fitting lid as they love to jump out.

To keep the price down DON'T go small, get a 65 gallon if you can find one. They are 3 feet long nice and deep with enough room for a nice scape. You can get a hang on the back skimmer and an aquaclear 110 gallon filter with one powerhead should do the trick. Then its just the rocks, sand, and salt.

Everyone has their own preference for salt, so don't bother asking, wars will ensue.

To start ignore corals and stay cheap for the lights. Wait for a good used led or t5 one to come up for sale. Save big bucks there. But as far as starting up it takes a bit to get going, but worth it in the long run. Let me know when you get the tank going, or are planning to set it up.
Final thing, spend the money on a RODI system, you won't have half the problems with algae that you would otherwise, costs ~$200 from Ray.

Expect used prices for 65 gallon:
$200 tank and stand and light
$50 new bulbs (always a must)
$200 RODI (one for sale in classifieds right now)
$50 heater
$40 filter
$30 powerhead
$80 salt
$80 sand
$200 rock (in classifieds right now 1lb per gallon min)
$80 skimmer

This leaves you under 1000 all set up
you could skip the skimmer for now, just don't forget your water changes
heater most likely will come with the tank
you can probably get the rock for less than 200
and probably used sand for 40
I definitely recommend the RODI, but that's up to you, makes great drinking water too!

Hope this helps best of luck!

rgauvin

Quote from: Hookup on December 14, 2011, 08:46:27 PM

That said, the difference between a 30gal and say a 55gal is negligible.  However, getting spouse approval for the bigger size is never negligible ..  Haha
lol, you are right on the mark. the bigger the tank, the more it encroaches on "us" space so she gets more of a vote, lol.

Quote from: delslo on December 14, 2011, 09:41:47 PM

As far as the snowflake goes, they are awesome, and they can be kept with almost anything, so long as you keep them well fed and get them small (less than 8"). If you only feed them hurt, bleeding fish, they will only eat bleeding hurt fish. A friend of mine did it and never had a problem. This may have been a singular occurrence, but he swears that two others he knows have done it. You will need rock/coral glue for the snowflake as they will knock over rocks, and a tight fitting lid as they love to jump out.

To keep the price down DON'T go small, get a 65 gallon if you can find one. They are 3 feet long nice and deep with enough room for a nice scape. You can get a hang on the back skimmer and an aquaclear 110 gallon filter with one powerhead should do the trick. Then its just the rocks, sand, and salt
yeah, I had heard that they liked to escape to I'll be sure to take that into acount. there is some great information in here for me, thank you... Now one more dumb question, "RODI system"? do you mean like a reverse osmosis system to get water for the tank? or is that something else?

bt

RODI = Reverse Osmosis and De-Ionizing system

delslo

Quote from: bt on December 14, 2011, 10:14:58 PM
RODI = Reverse Osmosis and De-Ionizing system

What it does is takes out the chlorine chloramine all the minerals, phosphates, basically all the stuff that makes algae grow.

What it does for you is make your life easier, your tank look better and your wife happier. Hair algae covered tanks aren't pretty.