New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What is this shrimp?

Started by Jeff1192, March 14, 2019, 08:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

So I've had my crystal red shrimp tank up and running for a while now and just recently noticed this one shrimp with very different colouring than the rest. The only thing in the tank are CRS. This is the best photo I could get. Any ideas what's going on with the coloration of this one?

Thanks
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

tanksalot360

Strange colours indeed!
The colour made me think purple zebra shrimp. http://www.shrimpfever.com/shop/livestock-shrimp/purple-zebra-shrimp-2/

Or a wildtype bee shrimp from the background genetics and crossing of your crystal reds.

Hope that helps

sidarnold

Tanksalot is correct in his hypothesis - a breeding group of crystals will sometimes randomly "through out" a shrimpet that is non-typical in colouration and pattern to the parent group. Could be some zebra pinto genes are exerting themselves. Happens quite frequently.