New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Guess What!?! IM NEW!

Started by Wal_Mart_Fish_Guy, January 12, 2008, 06:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wal_Mart_Fish_Guy

And you will all probably see a lot more of me.

My name is Matt and I know a couple OVAS members visit me occasionally at the Wal-Mart (SOUTH KEYS, hop a 97 or drive down bank towards airport :)) where I work, and tend the aquariums. Now I know what you're probably all thinking, "oh god, wal-mart fish?! aren't they all sick?!". well I 'll have you know I take care of them as if they were my own, and speaking of my own...

I have a 27G bow front in which is housed my little lovies, 1 Yellow Labido (male I believe, thats him in my profile, his name is Colonel Mustard.), 1 male Kenyi Cichlid nice and yellow, 2 blue/purple/white female Kenyi, 2 Venustus cichlids, one albino cichlid that I still have to properly identify, 1 female Blue(three spot) Gourami, and 1 Pictus Catfish who is quite the noisy little barker.

charlie

Welcome Matt, I`ll come look you up sometime , i`m in their often as i live close by, is Amanda still there have`nt seen her in a while.

Wal_Mart_Fish_Guy

She is not, and Tanya is no longer dept/ manager, its jsut me and the new manager now (Dawn). Our fish have been really good lately too, we just got in some nice looking young black angels, sadly we keep recieving sickly comet goldies, ahwell, I treat what I can.

But YES, do stop by, wednesdays and thrusdays are always the best days to come, we get our new arrivals most wednesdays. I'm usually there in the evenings on weekdaysm and mornings ont he weekends. :D

Vizerdrix

Welcome to the group Matt!  Glad to hear you're taking care of the fishies over there.  Someone needs to! :)

Too bad your store is so far away from me.  Do you remember a Dan Webb that used to work there?

Wal_Mart_Fish_Guy

Quote from: Vizerdrix on January 12, 2008, 07:16:06 PM
Welcome to the group Matt!  Glad to hear you're taking care of the fishies over there.  Someone needs to! :)

Too bad your store is so far away from me.  Do you remember a Dan Webb that used to work there?

can't say that I've heard of him, 've obly been there 6-7months, which still makes me a bit of a greenhorn, not to mention the turn-over rate is so high its hard to keep track of the people I work with, haha.

Zoe

Welcome, Matt! I've always found the fish at that Walmart to be in pretty good shape compared to other Walmarts.

Hope you enjoy OVAS!

Zoe

Wal_Mart_Fish_Guy

Quote from: Zoe on January 12, 2008, 08:07:33 PM
Welcome, Matt! I've always found the fish at that Walmart to be in pretty good shape compared to other Walmarts.

Hope you enjoy OVAS!

Zoe
well thanks for noticing :) and I'm sure I will!

Sharbuckle

maybe the wal mart in kanata needs a fish guy... i need a freakin job, and i love fish, im gonna go check it out

audioslave_36

Quote from: Sharbuckle on January 13, 2008, 10:52:25 PM
maybe the wal mart in kanata needs a fish guy... i need a freakin job, and i love fish, im gonna go check it out

you should check it out, the Kanata store needs someone dedicated!

Sharbuckle

beowulf

Welcome and it is nice to see someone trying to keep things up to an acceptable standard in a big box store!!

Wal_Mart_Fish_Guy

haha I try my best, I spent about 4 hours cleaning my tanks yesterday haha, looong day. But go for it Sharbuckle, Wal-Mart will tend to take on anyone whether they have experience or not, thats why its good to put yourself out there, if you got in you could really do a lot to improve things. There are too many people working with fish, and other animals in stores like Wal-Mart that have no idea what they're selling, and not only is this bad for the pets, but for the customers aswell.

....soon OVAS will conquer every aquarium in Ottawa, muuuahahaha :D

cora

Hey Welcome!

I will have to say thats its great to see (and you'll hear this alot around here) someone who is in an environment like Walmart and trying to make a difference with the quality of the fish they supply!

I'm impressed! lol Welcome to Ovas!

Sharbuckle

so i applied at wal mart for the pet/fish department, pretty sad when i went in there, 2 dead oscars  :( :( :(

made me mad, i woulda taken the poor little guys home >:(

AdamN

probably why wal-mart has decided to give up on thier fish departments?  ... do any wal-marts in Ottawa still sell them?

erin

welcome!  it's great to know that there are people who care and have knowledge working in the big box stores... I always wonder when I'm in walmart if I should check out the fish, and have to admit I am usually to afraid of what i will find/hear to go near the department... hehehe

AdamN

Suprisingly enough, everytime I was in my local wal-mart and had a look at the fish, the tanks were always spotless! The fish always looked good, brightly colored, active. They always had a good supply of small cichlids. Then they dumped them altogether. I was at a wal-mart in messina a couple weeks ago, they still sell fish there, much the same as I saw here.