New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Guy in Orleans

Started by TomA, January 30, 2008, 07:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomA

Greetings All,

I have been a lurker here for a few years now and have finally decided to come out of the closet.  My previous experiences started with my mother meeting Rolf Hagen in his first years in Canada and him convincing her to open a pet store.  So as a kid I was lucky enough to travel with her to Toronto to pick up all the animal shipments which included the fish.  I still recall opening the boxes to see what mysterious things were swimming about inside and then bagging them and placing them in the stores tanks to acclimatize.  Then on week-ends opening the store with her and getting the job assignment of fish feeder and dead floater remover.  She had skunks, Toucans and monkeys but it's the fish that have stayed with me. 

This posting to Ottawa has led to the installment of a backyard pond (large preformed) and deck.  With out thinking of the Ontario winter (posted from Comox, Vancouver Island) it was stocked with 3 Koi and some feeders.  Bingo! Winter came and what the heck do I do with the fish? Those three for $10 guys grew into 7 inch beauties over the summer so I got a couple of tanks and brought them in.  One Koi has survived and the Comets have started breeding.  Now I'll need another tank for the offspring if I want them to make it to the pond come spring. 
We have two boys and the youngest (15) wants to have a hand at raising fish. "We shall see" says I.

Anyway, I know nothing about plants so expect some of those questions.  The plants in the pond were taken from the Ottawa river and have survived the winters well.

I look forward to perhaps doing some bartering in the future  :).....

...tom

matt

Welcome to the site.

I like the look of your little sanctuary, looks like a nice place to sit and relax after a long day at work. ;D

Vizerdrix

Welcome Tom, from a GAL in Orleans! :D

I too have a pond, but it's inside. :)  Your fish look lovely!  Hopefully, I'll get to see your pond when it's set up again this summer.

Cheebs

Welcome!  I live here in Orleans too, and that's a very nice pond.

Kats

Welcome!  I'm in Orleans too!  I love your pond! 

Nerine

welcome! :) Great looking pond! I agree, it looks like a fantastic place to unwind after a long day of work!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

renadia

Welcome  ;D

I too have a pond new from last summer. It's a 300 gal. I also have brought in my 5 Koi's and 5 goldfish and they are living happily in my 55 gal with a pleco, 3 cories and a few snails  :D

I do have 2 filters to handle the bioload. I feed then frozen peas once in a while as well as fresh spinach and water melon and bloodworms.

I can't wait to open my pond. Si is this winter ever going to end...

Diane

AdamN

wow, I never imagined Orleans to be so big!  :D  ... nice little pond!

chicklid

I live in Orleans too  ;D

I am so envious of your pond...I wish I could have one. It has always been my dream  :'(
However, I am renting a townhouse....so, it is not possible at this time.

Chickie  :)

AdamN

sure it is, you can dig a small hole in your backyard .. when you leave, just fill it back in  ;D