New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

One of many suggested way to stock a Refugium

Started by albertthiel, November 14, 2013, 04:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

Interesting comments on the article in reference to substrates.  I'm planning a refugium chamber in my sump with a hob filter that draws water from the return chamber and then dumps it into my fuge, which will then overflow back to the return chamber on the opposite side.  I was just going to use rubble and some chaeto to start, but now I'm wondering if I should use sand, or mud, and see if I can find some red mangroves...
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on November 14, 2013, 11:10:57 PM
Interesting comments on the article in reference to substrates.  I'm planning a refugium chamber in my sump with a hob filter that draws water from the return chamber and then dumps it into my fuge, which will then overflow back to the return chamber on the opposite side.  I was just going to use rubble and some chaeto to start, but now I'm wondering if I should use sand, or mud, and see if I can find some red mangroves...

You can really use any of them ... it does not make much of a difference but you need to keep it clean esp. if you use coral rubble as  that traps dirt and detritus very easily. And yes if you use Mangroves then I would use sand, not to fine, medium size so not too coarse either. I would not use mud as that packs too much IME. And yes the Red mangroves (Rizophora mangle) are the ones you want if you are going to use any.

Albert