New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

Started by Terry, January 02, 2014, 08:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

Albert, I bought two (of three on offer) wrasses and picked the obvious male and one other (hoping for a female).  But looks like I got two males, one less developed than the other.  My question, I guess, is what is a reasonable (small) social group?  I thought of going back for the third but if another male I am pretty much where I am now.  But maybe one female with two males would not be such a good idea, either.  The two I have now seem to be co-existing with no issues (but have had them only for a few days).  Your thoughts?  The tank is a 75 with 8 fish, of which only the yellow tang is of any size although the flame angel will get that way some day.  So not much room for more fish.

These are, of course, beautiful fish that don't bother anyone or anything and are pretty much ignored by my other fish.  And they eat anything.

Thanks for your time.

Terry
Terry

albertthiel

Quote from: Terry on January 02, 2014, 08:15:27 PM
Albert, I bought two (of three on offer) wrasses and picked the obvious male and one other (hoping for a female).  But looks like I got two males, one less developed than the other.  My question, I guess, is what is a reasonable (small) social group?  I thought of going back for the third but if another male I am pretty much where I am now.  But maybe one female with two males would not be such a good idea, either.  The two I have now seem to be co-existing with no issues (but have had them only for a few days).  Your thoughts?  The tank is a 75 with 8 fish, of which only the yellow tang is of any size although the flame angel will get that way some day.  So not much room for more fish.

These are, of course, beautiful fish that don't bother anyone or anything and are pretty much ignored by my other fish.  And they eat anything.

Thanks for your time.

Terry

If it turns out that you have 2 males, it is not certain that one will change to a female, some species are said to do so but for the majority once they are males they remain so.

I would need to know what exact ones you have to  give you a more complete answer.

Now if they are getting along i the tank, it is probably a sign that one may be a male and the other one a female as two males would not usually tolerate each other especially if they are conspecifics.

Let me know a little more and I will try and get you some more answers Terry.

Albert